What's new

Some additional provenance re the Busch Sohn razors

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Page Seven:

7. Please always use the proven "Real" Walter Busch Son blade.
8. The more carefully you clean and [dry] after use, the longer the blade will remain usable.
9. If you have any further questions, then you will be pleased to provide information: Walter Busch Sohn, Solingen. Professional for good shaving. [Manufacturer of fine razors.]

Important!
I am aware that my shaver is almost unfamiliar in normal use. [If there is] [a]ny damage in which I am the least guilty, I [will] fix [it] within 2 years after delivery, for free.

Old Hippie

Last page:

If my razor and "Real" Walter Busch Son blades made shaving a refreshing part of your [daily] body [care], then please recommend me. Not only my company, but also your friends will be grateful to you.

Walter Busch Son, Solingen. Manufacturer of Fine Razors.

Old Hippie

And let's just stop to appreciate for a moment HOW LONG it's been since the last time we bought a product so comprehensively backed up by its manufacturer.

Except for some of the companies making shaving implements and supplies, I mean. Must be something about reviving old time skills that also revives old time manners!

O.H.

Thank you very much @Old Hippie!

. The double guidance of the device gives the blade the right position on its own accord. [I think they're referring to how the blade is held in the head.]
I think guidance by both the safety bar and the humpback. The latter really helps finding the correct angle, experience shows.

Hold the razor so that the "nose of the upper part" ("guide on top of the cap" I assume) just touches the skin
Here too, the humpback is meant.

Old Hippie

Revised Page Four:

Some uncertainties in the language on this one. I've included words in [brackets] to indicate where I'm stepping away from a technically-correct translation to a more colloquial, possibly more understandable translation.

The Walter Busch Son razor is also suitable for the [untrained, beginning, novice] self-shaver. Toothless protective bars ensure absolute safety against injuries when the blade cutting edge is exposed. [The safety bar in combination with the humpback on the razor's cap] gives the blade the right position on its own accord.
The Walter Busch Son razor shaves just as good and pleasant as the [straight razor] in the hand of a [trained] barber - only it's safer.
Only good [parts] are good for good shaving. Many believe the consumer is best served by the fact that they [can] always [find goods] cheaper. That is not even so difficult! It is [needful to make sure to have quality in] goods of steel, [as well as to have] careful processing and careful control. Of course, [otherwise] the good of the blade suffers.
Should not it be more appropriate to use good blades that are more comfortable in use, but not more expensive?

Old Hippie

Revised Page Six:

Some hints for self-shavers.

1. [Prepare] thoroughly, using warm water if possible.
2. After inserting the blade, screw the device together until you notice a noticeable resistance.
3. The blade cuts softer when you dip the clamped blade into warm water immediately before shaving.
4. When shaving, pull the skin a bit [tighter]. [The] shave [is] smoother and gentler.
5. Hold the razor so that the [humpback on the razor cap] touches the skin.
6. Shave in even strokes with very light pressure. In individual places, [such as] chin and upper lip, it is expedient to [hold the razor sideways and] shave from right to left, or vice versa.

Great job O.H. Really enjoy the copy and appreciate all your work in getting it right. Very cool! Thanks.Danke...

Beautiful topic @Jake I thank you for opening this post because I also have some images to show and as always some questions to propose ...

I have to thank the good @Jake who introduced me to these razors some time ago .. since then I started looking for them and I must say that these razors are not easy to find ... in fact .. extremely rare! and unfortunately very very expensive .. I am still looking for a Walbusch B5 that meets my expectations in the meantime I show you what I have ..

I believe this set is the first version of this razor ..

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

1935 model as the brochure says ..

proxy.php

while this white I think is a later model ..
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

in fact there is a change of name of the blades "Walbus" and a universe desigh of the package .. you notice some technical improvements of the razor from the position "without space" that takes the blade cover when it rests on the comb .. and also the holes that have been made on the comb are different as you can see from this photo ...

proxy.php

keep it going..

I am very happy to have in my collection these objects that still tell so much ...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

in another post that started @Jake time ago we discussed with @efsk about the certainty that these razors were patented, produced and advertised by Walter Busch & Sohn and by the difference that passes from other similar models produced later in those years ..

proxy.php

proxy.php

some images from brochures captured around the forum...
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I think we can still say much more about these razors and this brand ...

Thank you

Benedetto.

Last edited:
Great collection @Benedetto -- really fine examples of this highly prized and loved razor. Nice photos to illustrate the finesse and quality of this company and their products. Thanks for sharing and adding to the background and history of the Walbusch Company!

Top Bottom