What's new

What's your favorite razor in the hundred dollar plus range?

I'll throw a vote in for the Rockwell 6S. I find it to be an excellent smooth shaver and with the adjustable heads I have yet to find a blade I didn't like (except a Derby, don't flame me please). I haven't owned a Karve or Timeless, but that 6S is my desert island razor out of the 50 or so I own.

I'm looking to splurge a bit and was wondering what people are loving in the $100 plus range. I can't find a razor too smooth, but I also need to tote that line of mild/ efficient. I've tried the Feather AS D2 , but found it a touch too mild for my liking. I do like the efficiency of the Baili BR171 that I am using currently and it's maneuverability for edging my beard. I also like the Muhle R89 a lot as well. I was thinking maybe a Karve? Open to ideas of what you guys may suggest that fits the bill.

This may seem like one of those posts that has no business being in this thread because I don't own an expensive razor. However, I may be able to help.

If you have an inexpensive razor that works for you, then it probably pays to buy an expensive razor with the same parameters. You can copy a picture into Excel and measure the angles by rotating a line. I suggest orienting the picture so the line between the top head and safety bar is vertical.

Get someone to take a picture of a razor you are considering so you can compare.

The razor is an inexpensive Van der Hagen with a short handle. I've shaved with it 128 times.

I suggest checking these folks out. They can electroplate a new razor and make it look expensive. Razor Plating Services

upload_2019-4-10_14-39-0.png

Last edited:
This may seem like one of those posts that has no business being in this thread because I don't own an expensive razor. However, I may be able to help.

If you have an inexpensive razor that works for you, then it probably pays to buy an expensive razor with the same parameters. You can copy a picture into Excel and measure the angles by rotating a line. I suggest orienting the picture so the line between the top head and safety bar is vertical.

Get someone to take a picture of a razor you are considering so you can compare.

The razor is an inexpensive Van der Hagen with a short handle. I've shaved with it 128 times.

View attachment 971113
Along these lines i happen to be a believer that geometry is king. Unfortunately there's no way to predict what geometry works for somebody else. 150 razors in I do know what works for me and my $8 DE1 shaves more effectively than my Karve (D/F). So does my $5 flea market Old Type. How beautifully it's machined really doesn't much matter when i have to pick up a razor to shave my head. Same with the beautiful Blackbird and a number of others. I sold my Timeless 95 when i found my Barbasol ran rings around it. The Bronze with different geometry works better for me, just as the Dart works better than the Blackbird. Learn what geometry works for you, rinse and repeat.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They both are very maneuverable for me but then again I have a goatee and don't shave my chin or lip. I have read that some find the head to be a little bulky but I don't see it really... The Ti has a softer face feel but I think I prefer the SS just slightly and think the actual shave might be just a little more efficient. If I were

I suggest checking these folks out. They can electroplate a new razor and make it look expensive. Razor Plating Services

View attachment 971113
I know the Muhle R41 / Merkur 34C type of head (although can be more aggressive), and Feather or Baili works great for me. If Baili made their razors stainless, I'd likely buy one and be completely content as it's a very efficient razor for me, and allows excellent movement whether I have to edge a beard, or go completely BBS.

Along these lines i happen to be a believer that geometry is king. Unfortunately there's no way to predict what geometry works for somebody else. 150 razors in I do know what works for me and my $8 DE1 shaves more effectively than my Karve (D/F). So does my $5 flea market Old Type. How beautifully it's machined really doesn't much matter when i have to pick up a razor to shave my head. Same with the beautiful Blackbird and a number of others. I sold my Timeless 95 when i found my Barbasol ran rings around it. The Bronze works better. Learn what geometry works for you, rinse and repeat.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

To misquote Jack Lalanne a bit, "Geometry is king; Lather is queen. Together they make a kingdom."

I use Williams Mug Soap. Arko works as well, but I don't care for the fragrance. Barbasol and Gillette Foamy work as well, but they bleach my skin. Cremo Lathering Shaving Crème works as well, but I don't like fragrances.

Timeless in SS, Ti, or Bronze, but perhaps not the Bronze OC, as it's significantly more aggressive than the others. My Timeless 95 OC in SS is usually my daily driver, can easily get BBS without ripping half my face off, as while very efficient, they're also very smooth and comfortable.

To bring down the pricing, you can always buy their returns/blemishes at a discount, and just grab the cap and base plate, if you already have a nice handle. (I use mine on an Ikon or PAA handle, depending upon the mood I'm in).

Top Bottom