What's new

Am I going crazy ( RazoRock Game Changer .84 ) ?

After a month using the RazoRock Game Changer .84, I think I am getting better shaves with my 1st razor the supreme EJ 89, is there something wrong with my conclusion ?
The only I can think that is making the difference; the weight of the EJ 89, or when you turn the EJ 89 upside down, and go from the bottom to the top is resulting in a close shave, better than the .84.
Is anyone experience the same results ?

I am using the EJ 89 with a long and heavy handle from maggars
the .84 with a titanium halo handle

I’ve tried Mamba, Gamechanger, that new steel injector, and other even higher priced razors; they have all been sold, returned or otherwise disposed of. The only ones I’ve kept were my two Edwin Jagger 89s.

Those other razors I am sure are fine for other faces, but my face-beard-technique favors the EJ.

Nothing wrong with that at all. An updated version of the EJ 89 design is my current favorite, but I'm sure the original would be fine too. It wouldn't be so popular for so long if it didn't work.

Good man!! The EJ is a sweet razor IMO!! :a29:

The key is to figure out what works best for you (precisely what you are doing)!!

The EJ DE89 is a great razor. It was my first razor--before I went down the rabbit hole of collecting vintage then a few modern razors. The Mamba 70 is my favorite razor, but the EJ89 is always an excellent shave when I pull it out. The DE89 could be the only razor a lot of people need.

The DE89 chatters a bit for me sometimes if my stubble isn’t properly hydrated. Otherwise it’s almost perfect. There’s a reason it’s recommended so much.

That said, the Rockwell 6S on plate 3-4 provides basically the same “feel”, requires the same technique, and gives a very similar result. But it holds the blade better and therefore is less sensitive to prep. So my DE89 is relegated to being my travel razor.

Sux the GC .84 isnt working for you as it certainly is a quality razor at a very reasonable price. I absolutely love mine although I have noticed I tend to ride the cap a little when going against the grain on my neck. Its certainly not an every day razor as I do find it somewhat aggressive but the efficiency is awesome when you have a few days growth to mow down.

Its certainly not an every day razor as I do find it somewhat aggressive but the efficiency is awesome when you have a few days growth to mow down.

I think that’s the sort of helpful caveat that should come with recommendations. Say *why* you like a razor, and see whether others have the same needs.

Many people literally never have a few days’ growth. For me, shaving once a day is lazy, twice a day is the norm. I can’t remember the last time I went much more than 24 hours without shaving.

A razor that “mows down a few days growth” doesn’t seem like it provides much value in and of itself for my situation.

It’s amazing how individual shaving habits are, and how it may affect the choice of razor.

Too often, the recommendation for any razor question is to buy the current favourite of whoever is making the recommendation, regardless of the context of the question.

I’ve got a hefty collection of razors, all of them bought after recommendations of one form or another. Less than a third get any form of regular use. The others are nice in their own ways, but just not right for me.

@Marlor I agree..I think there are to many variables that come into play when deciding weather or not we are going to like a razor without actually trying it. A good example is my Timeless .95. Heaps of guys on this forum seem to be able to use this razor daily without issue where as my skin cant seem to handle more than 3 days in a row before forcing me to use a milder razor (usually my Timeless .68). Im usually a daily shaver but as Im a shift worker (usually on nightshift) I miss a day here & there which makes me appreciate the more aggressive razors. All personal preference really but I agree it is very hard to buy off other peoples recommendations.

The DE89 chatters a bit for me sometimes if my stubble isn’t properly hydrated. Otherwise it’s almost perfect. There’s a reason it’s recommended so much.

That said, the Rockwell 6S on plate 3-4 provides basically the same “feel”, requires the same technique, and gives a very similar result. But it holds the blade better and therefore is less sensitive to prep. So my DE89 is relegated to being my travel razor.
I agree completely. I think the improvement is due to a slight decrease in clamping distance and a slightly greater bend in the blade, providing slightly more rigidity and compensating for the greater flexibility of today's thinner blades.

I dont know what to think anymore, I just being trying Gillette platinum with the .84 and I am getting excellent results, I am too lazy to do a proper test, in the end the EJ -89 is amazing and the same goes for the .84.
I just ordered a R41, just to play around, also I have so many blades to test, I am going to need more time to arrive to some conclusion

Not crazy but it works both ways for me too. Some of my favorite razors no longer works the same for me because I changed my technique. Oh well.

I dont know what to think anymore, I just being trying Gillette platinum with the .84 and I am getting excellent results, I am too lazy to do a proper test, in the end the EJ -89 is amazing and the same goes for the .84.
I just ordered a R41, just to play around, also I have so many blades to test, I am going to need more time to arrive to some conclusion

I'm sorry that it's been such a hassle but you seem ok w the GC84 now. The thing to me when I read your first post was that you were having problems with the GC84 n liked your EJ89 which to me says you prefer mild razors.

In this post you went n got one of the most aggressive razors the 41 so I'm a little confused as to why the 84 didn't work out for you initially.

I'm the same. decades of shaving, couldn't get a great shave out of my .84 for the life of me. My EJ89, excellent every time. Gave the .84 to my brother and he raves about it. Sigh, he should!

Top Bottom