What's new

Shaving, Restorations, Honing and Hooplah

Hey guys

So I got the idea from Jim to make a single thread and post pretty much everything in this one thread. I liked the idea of not having to check 20 different threads in 20 different subforums despite the fact that each topic is suited to that forum. I’m all about simplicity (in some areas) and this is much easier.

I’ve been straight shaving for about a month now. I’m back to shaving after having a beard and electric trimmer for about 3 years. I’ve had some issues because my edges aren’t great but I’m getting that taken care of soon.

I’ve pretty much broken the bank and went all out because after my divorce it’s nice to have a hobby and something to focus on other than pacifiers and nursery rhymes with my son. Something for me for once. I’ve got a full progression of Naniwas. Went out and bought a Dremel, coping saw, sandpaper, mothers polish, and the like. A TI to restore that I really like and am holding off on more work because I already ruined the scales. And a bunch of beater blades to practice everything on. I started out with a Dovo 5/8 and a Dovo strop.

So in the last week or two I’ve been working on my shaves, lathering and all that. But I’ve really been so much more focused on honing and restoration. I started to hand sand one of the beater blades and got it to “acceptable” because I just wanted to start honing something. I honed for the first time and got a decent edge but it definitely needs a lot of work.

Today I decided I’m going to make scales. I don’t even know how to pin or unpin. Every time I’ve unpinned I’ve ruined the scales. I have no idea what I’m doing. Tried flush cutters, scratched the hell out of them. Tried the dremel, utterly destroyed them.

But anyway, back to today’s scales. It took me forever but I finally have a set of scales still glued together and fully sanded. To the point they’re literally shining. (Can’t see it very well in pictures unfortunately.) So now I need to drill the pin holes in these suckers and I’m a little worried of ruining them. I mean it’s only poplar from Home Depot because I didn’t want to go crazy on my first set, knowing I’m gonna ruin them. But after all that hand sanding now I don’t want to ruin them haha.

3133B1CB-EDA4-461D-B383-4091103B4697.jpeg
38E6B70D-F9A6-4C87-8957-23E0B32C7E8B.jpeg
F6679167-59CE-4243-BB6B-C857BF926CF7.jpeg
BCEF9D3E-29CF-46E5-9E0E-AF1F226F0742.jpeg

Unfortunately I don’t have a drill press and I’ve blown so much money already I pretty much can’t afford anything else. Leaving me with the dremel. I have no idea what size bit to use, where to place the pins, how to make a wedge or how thick to make it. I’m going to be doing some more reading and maybe in one of my replies I’ll link in some of the other threads I’ve started if any of you wanted to click around and see what I’ve been up to.

I’m all about constructive criticism, advice and experience. If you have any of that throw all of it my way. The goal here is to get pretty good at this to the point I can actually feel proud of the restores I do and maybe one day start to do restores for others as well.

This is a good video on making scales...
Charlie Lewis has been around for a while and does some great work. Generally I would say, and I believe the video supports this, you want to drill the pin holes before sanding and shaping this scales - easier to drill accurately on a flat surface. I have used just a finger drill myself, so I can confirm that it does in fact work.
A key thing to remember is that before you glue or pin the wedge in, you definitely want to mock up the razor with the tang pin in, then glue or pin the wedge in - helps massively with getting the blade centered in the new scales.

Both of these old Sheffield blades were rescaled and restored by me many moons ago using essentially the same process (only hand tools)...
IMG_0411.JPG

This is a good video on making scales...
Charlie Lewis has been around for a while and does some great work. Generally I would say, and I believe the video supports this, you want to drill the pin holes before sanding and shaping this scales - easier to drill accurately on a flat surface. I have used just a finger drill myself, so I can confirm that it does in fact work.
A key thing to remember is that before you glue or pin the wedge in, you definitely want to mock up the razor with the tang pin in, then glue or pin the wedge in - helps massively with getting the blade centered in the new scales.
:a36:Shoot. :a48:

Live and learn I guess hahaha. Next set will also be made of poplar and I’ll try not to make the same mistake. No promises. And thanks for the video and advice. It’s appreciated.

That is a good start.

I would recommend getting the outside shape of the scales done, and while still flat drill the holes, then round off. It is much easier to have the holes be perpendicular with flat side.

Also, those look a tad too thick as they are

So I’ve been looking into pinning/peening and had a few questions if anyone could help. Why is it that brass is predominantly used or nickel silver? Also, if I wanted to make a wedge out of metal instead of wood how would I go about that? I’m also having a hard time finding washers. And what size washers am I supposed to actually use? Does it matter which metal I’m using?

Yes you dont want the pins to rust that's why they use Brass and Nickel Silver pins, but I ship my washers in from the States to the UK as I have more choice on washers and styles IE: Cup, Bulls Eye, floral.

As for size the pin stock should be 1.6mm or 1/16th.

Last edited:
Yes you dont want the pins to rust that's why they use Brass and Nickel Silver pins, but I ship my washers in from the States to the UK as I have more choice on washers and styles IE: Cup, Bulls Eye, floral.

As for size the pin stock should be 1.6mm or 1/16th.
Thank you sir.

Another question gents. (Going to be a thread full of questions until I get some good work done with pictures to post.)

Anybody ever made a wedge out of brass? And if so, what’s the best way to taper the wedge then shape and polish the wedge once it’s rough sized to the scales?

Anybody ever made a wedge out of brass? And if so, what’s the best way to taper the wedge then shape and polish the wedge once it’s rough sized to the scales?

Yes, I have made them out of brass and aluminum, not easy to work with metals. I shaped mine the same way, double sided tape, stick to thumb and thin out on the belt sander. They heat up quickly.

This is aluminun
proxy.php

proxy.php

Yes, I have made them out of brass and aluminum, not easy to work with metals. I shaped mine the same way, double sided tape, stick to thumb and thin out on the belt sander. They heat up quickly.

This is aluminun
proxy.php

proxy.php
That’s beautiful. So I should just use double sided tape between the scales after thinning out the wedge? I don’t currently have a belt sander, you think that’s necessary? Or would it be possible to do with some vigorous hand sanding or filing?

Also, where can I buy brass to use and what size would be best to work with? I’ve seen a couple places online but there’s an overwhelming amount of sizes.

I use double sided tape between the scales to shape them, then I shape the wedge.

I don't know where to buy the brass. You need it thick enough to hold the blade at the height needed-that would depend on the shape scale and blade profile.

I really would not start with brass, use a softer material

I use double sided tape between the scales to shape them, then I shape the wedge.

I don't know where to buy the brass. You need it thick enough to hold the blade at the height needed-that would depend on the shape scale and blade profile.

I really would not start with brass, use a softer material
I’m probably going to use wood for my first wedge, but I love the look of a metal wedge. The Dovo I bought new a few years ago has a brass wedge and I think it’s beautiful.

I’m probably going to use wood for my first wedge, but I love the look of a metal wedge. The Dovo I bought new a few years ago has a brass wedge and I think it’s beautiful.
They look good, but are hard to shape. I would guess your dovo has a spacer and not a wedge

Top Bottom