What's new

Any soaps you won't buy again?

This is surprising to me. I know we all like different things, but Tabac smells so good I can’t imagine anyone not liking it. I can possibly see it not being someone’s favorite scent, but in my mind the scent would at a minimum be at least pleasant to them.
I have a lot of soaps that I really like the scent of. But when I finally tried Tabac I knew I had found a keeper. The instant that I smelled it I was hooked for life. The scent was so good that had its performance been terrible it would still be my go to soap for the glorious scent alone.
On that note, it’s performance it’s stellar. It’s ease of lather is second to none. And it’s scent, in my mind it’s what the Angels Of Heaven are going to smell like. I’m truly stunned whenever I hear someone say that they can’t stand the scent.
I like it so much that I use Tabac shaving soap, cream, aftershave, cologne, deodorant, bath soap and hair tonic. I have even sent several emails requesting that they start making a Tabac scented toothpaste and mouthwash.
Sorry for my ramblings, but I can’t get enough of the Tabac scent.

I thought I was the only Tabac nut out there... I have all those Tabac products as well!

On principle alone, I will never buy another Grooming Dept. or Australian Private Reserve soap. I actually went so far as to sell all of my soaps from those makers. Practically speaking, given the sheer volume of soaps that I own, I doubt that I'll need to replace anything in the foreseeable future. That being said, perhaps the better question should be "What Soaps Would You Buy If You Had To Start Over From Scratch?". If I had to do it all again, I would probably be fine with limiting myself to Tallow + Steel Madagascar, Eufros Sandalo, Le Pere Lucien Neroli Oud, Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica and Barrister & Mann Reserve Cool.

I was going to avoid buying a second tub of Wilkinson Sword in the blue tub, but after mixing it with Nivea Moisturizing Shave Cream I quite like it, so I bought another tub.
I call the mixture "Blue Monday".

Still not gonna buy any more Arko.

B&M Reserve
Siliski
Eufros Vegetal
Storybook Soapworks
Mike's Natural
Mystic Water

It is not that these bases are bad....they just aren't good enough for me/my skin to keep using them.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Anything besides Williams Mug Soap. It works well for me. Maybe in a year, I'll change my mind.

I don't like anything scented. I also don't like owning more than one lathering product at a time.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I recently tried a Pre de Provence sample, which wouldn't stay slick when I mixed it to my preferred wetness, and it also gummed up the brush. A very disappointing soap. Not worth trying again.

A Martin de Candre Fougere sample that I used after, could take a lot more water, but was still acting as a barrier. Maybe it's OK for those who use pressure in a shave, but for pressureless shaving, it's problematic. I had to go back over areas with just the residual slickness, in order to get the closeness I can achieve with other, FAR cheaper soaps. It was also far too much effort to incorporate the water into the lather, and I ended up with brush burn. So I can get easier, quicker, closer shaves for far less money. The post shave wasn't much to get excited about either.

Proraso. I bought 3 tubs as a set . Awful scent and mediocre performance. Why it's so popular, I've no idea.
It's a very common first shaving soap and given that the only reference then often is canned goo Proraso indeed is good in comparison. Having stated that I still like the scent of Proraso red.

Razorock Don Marco - not slick enough, smelled amazing
Old Spice modern - not slick enough
PdP 63 - burns my face for some reason
B&M Beaudelaire & Levaithan - scents were not for me
TOBS Sandalwood - smelled old

There are so many good soaps out there begging to be tried that I
wouldn't want to repeat a soap twice.

Ive tried SV.....now its time for B&M, WK and A&E....by the time I run through those
there will be DG to try...and a few others Im sure.

Truefitt and Hill hard soaps, Luxury and Sandalwood
Luxury has a lovely scent - sandalwood not so good, although both are really slick I my limited experience.
But ... they are really both a pain to get a good lasting lather from!
They'll last me for years though, I won't dump them - I'm too mean!

Top Bottom