What's new

Opnions on/experiences with Oleo Soapworks?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what your opinions are on Oleo soapworks? I ordered one of their soaps since i found out it is a clone of one of my favorite fragrances, bought the AS splash too. I've found a few threads here and there and a couple of videos, but they are mostly from a year ago or so..

Curious as to what your thoughts are on these soaps.

Thanks!

I have tried two or three of their soaps and it is a really really good soap. Super slick and creamy with nice post-shave attributes. If all I had to shave with was that brand because of some crazy disaster, I would be just fine.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Not only does Vida make soaps under the Oleo Soapworks label, but she also makes duck fat soaps for West Coast Shaving private brand. I rank them just slightly below my elite soaps because the cushion of the lather is not quite as good as some soaps, but as far as slickness, residual slickness and post-shave moisturizing and conditioning, Oleo is as good as any out there.

Oleo makes a lot of soaps patterned after some of great colognes, so if you like cologne type fragrances as much as I do, they are wonderful soaps. I have eight of them in my den and have to restrain myself from buying some others.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
IMO Oleo is up there in the top artisan soaps . But in that class, the differences are small between them IME. Good stuff!

I like how their soaps and Aftershaves perform, however I found many of them to have a very sweet and almost feminine scent... Glad I bought a bunch of samples first.

I like Oleo but the new A&E soap base is better. The A&E scents to me are more masculine. Check out the Timeless Razor shave soap. They do have a very good masculine Oleo Canard based soap which is very good.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
In my quest to find a Rive Gauche soap, I tried the Oleo Irving Park. I thought the soap was pretty good, but the scent was very weak and a little chemical-like. I wish Stirling made a RG soap, as I feel their soaps are better performing. In my quest for a RG clone so far, I have tried RR American Barber-good scent, mediocre performance, Oleo- weird and faint scent, and slightly better performance, Fine American Blend, slightly better in both scent and performance, and lastly, CaD from PAA, best scent, but did not like the soap. I decided to make a big frankensoap blob of it all, and put some of it it in the Oleo container. It is OK, but I feel like I spent too much and failed in my search.

Oleo is a great soap. If I were giving Oleo a school grade, I'd give them a strong A-, almost an A. I treat my soaps like I treated my grades. If they can't be B's or better, I'm not really interested. There are a few that I would rate better than Oleo, but there are a lot I enjoy using that I wouldn't rate as highly as well.

Oleo is a great soap. If I were giving Oleo a school grade, I'd give them a strong A-, almost an A. I treat my soaps like I treated my grades. If they can't be B's or better, I'm not really interested. There are a few that I would rate better than Oleo, but there are a lot I enjoy using that I wouldn't rate as highly as well.
+1

This is all very helpful. I'm glad there are many people who enjoy it I look forward to trying oleo!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I got a 30 pack sampler from WCS of Oleo. I think they're ok. If you are chasing scents or if scent is more important than performance, it's a decent soap. I haven't tried the canard base so that may be better. Compared to GFT, DR Harris, Stirling, Tabac, I think they're not as good but the AS and balms are nice for scent and post shave and the scent lasts awhile. As usual, YMMV.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk

I got a 30 pack sampler from WCS of Oleo. I think they're ok. If you are chasing scents or if scent is more important than performance, it's a decent soap. I haven't tried the canard base so that may be better. Compared to GFT, DR Harris, Stirling, Tabac, I think they're not as good but the AS and balms are nice for scent and post shave and the scent lasts awhile. As usual, YMMV.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk

If you got samples of Oleo from WCS, they should be the Canard base duck fat soaps. However, I have not had good experience with samples. They are good for evaluating scents, but I have never been able to achieve the same lather from a sample that I do from a full tub.

My experience with Oleo and the soaps against which you compared it places Oleo ahead of all of them. However, each of us differs in our preferences. Thus, I do not know if your evaluation was affected by the sample size, or if you have preferences that differ from mine.

If you got samples of Oleo from WCS, they should be the Canard base duck fat soaps. However, I have not had good experience with samples. They are good for evaluating scents, but I have never been able to achieve the same lather from a sample that I do from a full tub.

My experience with Oleo and the soaps against which you compared it places Oleo ahead of all of them. However, each of us differs in our preferences. Thus, I do not know if your evaluation was affected by the sample size, or if you have preferences that differ from mine.
Agreed. The samples are good only to evaluate scent and to see if a soap irritates your skin, IMO. I have used most of the top dog soaps and Oleo is in the very top tier of my den.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom