What's new

Is there any reason why I shouldn't leave the blade in the razor?

I see that some people decide to remove their blades from their safety razors between shaves. Given that I usually only use any given blade for 2 shaves (I shave daily), is there any legitimate reason to remove said blades from my DE razor between shaves? I could maybe see this being an issue over longer periods of time but am having difficulty determining any real reason to remove the blade with my usage pattern.

Some blades are carbon steel. In this case you'll want to remove the blade to avoid it leaving tea stains all over your razor. I won't leave a carbon steel blade in my razor any longer than it takes to shave with it.

I'll generally take my razors apart and gently dry everything off before putting it back together. I like doing this because it keeps my stuff looking like brand new.

Something some guys will do to get rid of the water it to dip the razor in rubbing alcohol. It'll displace the water and dry quickly as the alcohol evaporates.

Some blades are carbon steel. In this case you'll want to remove the blade to avoid it leaving tea stains all over your razor. I won't leave a carbon steel blade in my razor any longer than it takes to shave with it.

As someone with a few carbon steel knives I can appreciate this, however I dont think I've ever seen DE blades that arent stainless. Are you referring to NOS blades or are they still making carbon steel blades?

No. Recently finished a 100 shave run only removing the blade after shave 100. I've never bothered with any other blade.
dave

In most cases, no reason.

It's probably good to give your razor a clean now and then if you do though.

As someone with a few carbon steel knives I can appreciate this, however I dont think I've ever seen DE blades that arent stainless. Are you referring to NOS blades or are they still making carbon steel blades?

I may have had some blades from Treet that were carbon steel, part of a sampler pack with a number of different brands that came with a razor.
dave

I do most of my shaving with a straight and just my DE for cleaning up tricky spots. That being said, I'll leave a DE blade in the razor for 2 weeks at a time. The only thing I do, is loosen it a bit to rinse it after use.

Yes, 100 three pass shaves, about three times as many shaves as i've ever done with one blade before this one.
dave

That's amazing. And here I am swapping out blades every other shave!

Love your Tesla razor.

I'd totally buy one if they decided to make it! Who knows, Elon Musk made Tesla branded tequila after someone mentioned it in a tweet... maybe someone should bring up DE razors? Heh. That said, Iove my car, but the Timeless razor I picked up isnt half bad either!

That's amazing. And here I am swapping out blades every other shave!

I'd totally buy one if they decided to make it! Who knows, Elon Musk made Tesla branded tequila after someone mentioned it in a tweet... maybe someone should bring up DE razors? Heh. That said, Iove my car, but the Timeless razor I picked up isnt half bad either!

But, would it be an electric razor?

I see that some people decide to remove their blades from their safety razors between shaves. Given that I usually only use any given blade for 2 shaves (I shave daily), is there any legitimate reason to remove said blades from my DE razor between shaves? I could maybe see this being an issue over longer periods of time but am having difficulty determining any real reason to remove the blade with my usage pattern.

My daily driver has been a brass NSC if I leave the blade in it wo cleaning or drying it'll leave tea stain spots on the brass or worse rust spots.

I rinse, dry the blade n razor before putting them together. 100 shaves is amazing the most I've gotten is 30 from 1 blade lol.

My daily driver has been a brass NSC if I leave the blade in it wo cleaning or drying it'll leave tea stain spots on the brass or worse rust spots.

That's something I probably wouldn't have considered if I had opted for the brass Timeless razor! Very good point. That said (and I'm no metallurgist) I don't think this will be much issue with my titanium razor. Also not to nitpick, but brass tends to tarnish rather than "rust". Potato, patato I suppose.

That's something I probably wouldn't have considered if I had opted for the brass Timeless razor! Very good point. That said (and I'm no metallurgist) I don't think this will be much issue with my titanium razor. Also not to nitpick, but brass tends to tarnish rather than "rust". Potato, patato I suppose.

That depends leave a wet blade in for few days or so and you'll see rust which transfers to the brass. Iron oxide is insidious, it actually expands and can embed itself into some metals. With brass you can remove it quite easily but w aluminium you'll ruin the surface and once alu is exposed it too will start to oxidise.

Btw stainless can rust its just stain less.

That depends leave a wet blade in for few days or so and you'll see rust which transfers to the brass. Iron oxide is insidious, it actually expands and can embed itself into some metals. With brass you can remove it quite easily but w aluminium you'll ruin the surface and once alu is exposed it too will start to oxidise.

Btw stainless can rust its just stain less.

Oh absolutely "stainless" will rust. Being an avid knive collector, I'm well aware of this. Heh. There are some really good stainless steels (borderline alloys) which will basically survive rust free indefinitely even if submerged in salt water (LC200N would be a good example) but I have no doubt that such materials won't be a good use for razors for either machining or cost effectiveness. You also make a good point about rust xfer, but my main point was that brass in and if itself tarnishes rather than rusts (as per the technical definition anyway).

Top Bottom