What's new

Long term storage of SR collection

Over the years I have collected and restored many SRs. I keep them in sealed tote boxes with desiccant packs. (Our summers are getting more humid.) Is there anything else I should do to help preserve them? Should I wipe each blade with mineral oil? Or some other type of protectant? Do you think it is worthwhile stropping the blades every few months to keep the edges fresh? Any advice welcomed.

I would oil anything I was putting up for a while, and not just rely on the desiccant. I wouldn't worry about stropping until you plan on using them.

Stating the obvious here: first thing is to keep them away from the bathroom and any other humid place.
Mine are stored in the bedroom in an ottoman I bought specially for that.
I started oiling each razor after use, since they typically go about a year before being used again.

I would inspect each tote periodical to make sure no blade has any cell rot issues. Other blades in tote could be damaged .

Legion

Staff member
Mineral oil works fine. Just a very light coat. If you are storing them in a sealed box with desiccant you will probably want to avoid keeping the razors with ivory, horn and tortoise scales in that box. Those materials need a little moisture to keep them from shrinking and cracking. Just oil those blades and keep them in a different sealed box with no desiccant.

For the other box, if there are razors with acetate scales, open it up every month or so and visually check all the blades for any sign of cell rot. If it hasn't happened by now it probably wont, but just to be sure...

I've heard good things about Tuff Glide. I use whatever is on hand (rem oil, wd40, mineral oil). Regardless of what you use, I would just be sure to use SOME sort of oil/rust inhibitor if they will be stored for any extended period of time.

I've put some ZERUST Plastabs in my razor box just in case. I'm hoping the plastic gassing off doesn't react with celluloid. No problems so far though. I've sent them to a couple razor guys and haven't heard anything negative.

While I hate the idea of razors rusting in storage I try to keep in mind that many blades have survived in boxes/closets/garages for years without care since they were stored clean and dry.

While I hate the idea of razors rusting in storage I try to keep in mind that many blades have survived in boxes/closets/garages for years without care since they were stored clean and dry.
So true. I am just overly protective of my little treasures.

So true. I am just overly protective of my little treasures.
I know what you mean. I'm sure I do a lot more than necessary. I sometimes mention that because newer people reading may think razors are higher maintenance than they really are. A lot of us baby our stuff. ;)

One product that I use a lot of is Frog Lube for storage, seems to work better as it stays where you put it and its safe...

20180515_170142.jpg

47D0A52B-D3AC-4307-8F31-2744F7C3F3F6.jpeg
CD34E181-50FB-4006-BF72-FFD27944DE65.jpeg
1D489C9D-44BA-43FE-B80E-9E9D5BA49987.jpeg

Pencil cases...been using them for years. Everything stored less than 3 feet from the sink. Never a problem. I guess you could toss a dessicant package in there; or wipe the blades lightly with Ballistol.

I keep my SRs in a large tote box. I recently started including a Closet Dehumidifier in the tote box to absorb any moisture. You can pick these up at the Dollar Store for a couple of bucks.
Closet_Dehumidifier.jpg

Top Bottom