What's new

This whole thing is amazing

I was just responding to a member in another thread and it got me thinking.
As the title of this post says "this whole thing is amazing". What I mean is, here we are, grown men, sharing wisdom and techniques as well as technical and artistic theory and practice about something that only men can share with other men, something that has been done by almost every man that has walked this earth at least one time I would guess, for thousands of years. Something that is in fact for most men a necessary evil, an arduous and dangerous task of literally scraping your own face with the sharpest instrument we can get our hands on whether that was a stone or volcanic glass or as progress in man's evolution it became copper and bronze and iron and we scrape the natural hair growth off of our faces. That is something only man does. No other living creature on this planet scrapes the fur off of their faces and or bodies. For as far back as recorded time goes there were clean shaven men.
Not that shaving ever goes out of style but beards and mustaches come in and out of style and the use of the Straight Razor almost went the way of the DoDo with the help of the disposable cartridge, electric razors, and others.
But, enough men enjoy the nostalgia, and the tradition, as well as loving the great results from a Straight Razor shave. Enough men kept the art of the daily face scraping alive, and look at what has become of that passion. There is a community world wide that has made shaving a hobby and something that should be enjoyed and discussed among men.
Who would ever have guessed ? Not me.
Thanks Men.

There are some women members here, also. This is not an exclusive mens' club.

KK13, should there be a woman in your life you would like to introduce to the shaving arts, see Maggard Razor's site; they have a large selection of kit aimed at the ladies.

Glad you are having fun. Happy shaves!

I too find this amazing, elevated by the level of discourse on this site. Every now and then on Facebook I'll chide my friends when they make a valid point with the admonition "this is the internet, rational arguments have no place here." On B&B I find grown men & women keeping their heads during disagreements, sometimes even changing their beliefs when presented with a compelling argument. That's why I spend more time here than on any other social media.

I second Emwolf. Social media isn't my thing, but there is something familiar and friendly about being on B&B. Being here is a far more positive use of my time than most internet related activities--and all but void of the usual internet annoyances. I find Emwolf's use of the word elevated to be truly apropos regarding B&B.

This is a great place to hang out. Good conversation, good advice and good content.

It's nice to be around others who find this to be a hobby and not a chore. There is something relaxing and zen-like when you are using good product and technique.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This is a great place to hang out. Good conversation, good advice and good content.

It's nice to be around others who find this to be a hobby and not a chore. There is something relaxing and zen-like when you are using good product and technique.

Just so! We're a group that enjoys the subtleties.

AA

There are some women members here, also. This is not an exclusive mens' club.

KK13, should there be a woman in your life you would like to introduce to the shaving arts, see Maggard Razor's site; they have a large selection of kit aimed at the ladies.

Glad you are having fun. Happy shaves!

That’s true. I found my daughter a Lady Gillette from the mid 1960’s. Other companies had offerings and still do. It’s
never been just a man habit.

Shaving is shaving. No reason to over think. The interest I and others have is the razors and accoutrements apparently.

+2! Yes indeed! Plus, we have a higher level of civility than most anywhere else on the net!!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
upload_2019-3-28_13-1-5.gif

I genuinely enjoy this site. The level of conversation here is scores above anywhere else on the internet. People are genuinely trying to help each other, give advice, and generally discuss any and all topics. This is really one of the only sites I feel comfortable posting anything or asking for help, because I know it will be met with encouragement instead of internet trolling. Thanks to B&B and all of its members for making this place amazing.

I genuinely enjoy this site. The level of conversation here is scores above anywhere else on the internet. People are genuinely trying to help each other, give advice, and generally discuss any and all topics. This is really one of the only sites I feel comfortable posting anything or asking for help, because I know it will be met with encouragement instead of internet trolling. Thanks to B&B and all of its members for making this place amazing.

Williams, Arko, and The Veg can still steam up a mirror.... :)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
This forum is my only social media.
This forum is my only forum.
I love this forum, period.

If you traveled back in time to meet me in the early 80s and declared with utter sincerity that Americans buying water in plastic bottles would become a billion dollar industry, I would've laughed at you, briefly, before turning back to watch "Voltron".

You'd get the same reaction visiting me in the 1990s, in the infancy of the internet, to declare that I would later be spending a ridiculous amount of time on a forum dedicated to shaving. Oh yeah? So how much time am I going to spend on tooth-brushing and toenail-clipping forums?

Yet...here we are...

+1

Top Bottom