What's new

Need a Jnat expert.

Yeah, weird that it's on top of the ink stamp. Makes it seem like it might just be superficial. Probably pyrite if not. I have a few stones with pyrite inclusions. They are definitely scratchy. Real gold would not scratch iron.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Hopefully a good lapping will take care of it.
The way it looks with the stamp, sitting on top of the ink, maybe just some contamination?
The inclusions are in the stone, how far I don’t know. I tried to lightly dig one out but no luck. I made a slurry on the stone with my worn piece of atoma 1200 and also honed on the stone with a knife. In the pics it does look like they’re sitting on top of the ink but they’re definitely down in there.
Does the seller accept returns?
He doesn’t, but I sent him a few pics and he agreed to take this one back.

Yeah, weird that it's on top of the ink stamp. Makes it seem like it might just be superficial. Probably pyrite if not. I have a few stones with pyrite inclusions. They are definitely scratchy. Real gold would not scratch iron.
They look like pyrite. I’ve had several thuris with the same type inclusions and they are not steel friendly.

This does go to show my guess that he doesn't test any of these stones. Sorry to hear you where one of the few. So this was my theory all along. This is why you have a bunch of people saying the stones are all good and a few saying theirs was no good.

The listing for David's stone says the same as every other listing that
The stone is ideally suited for both レ-ザ用 European straight razors
and for 日本剃刀用 Japanese traditional Kamisori razors, as well as for any blades that required level a fine finishing of straight razors.

Obviously this would have been known with simple testing.

My best guess is whoever sells some of these to him sells him a bill of goods he doesn't test and then it gets passed along to the buyer. Pretty much at the mercy of whoever sells the rock to him being honest.

The inclusions are in the stone, how far I don’t know. I tried to lightly dig one out but no luck. I made a slurry on the stone with my worn piece of atoma 1200 and also honed on the stone with a knife. In the pics it does look like they’re sitting on top of the ink but they’re definitely down in there.

He doesn’t, but I sent him a few pics and he agreed to take this one back.

They look like pyrite. I’ve had several thuris with the same type inclusions and they are not steel friendly.
Then it's a minor irritant. At least you saw some gold for the shipment costs.

David

03848577-EF0B-48FE-951B-B5D37E00F1BA.jpeg
7E4EF1E4-B21C-4572-A69F-5A7ADCFE014B.jpeg

This is the part that bothers me the most. Notice how this auction goes from 38 bids to 15 in the last 10 seconds. I’ve been watching his auctions and this happens on almost every single one. (I have many more screen shots just like this one) It’s always in the last 10 seconds. I asked him about it and he told me that he can only cancel a bid this late if it’s requested by the buyer. So the same two buyers are canceling bids in the last 10 seconds on every one of his auctions? Why would a seller allow this? If anyone wants to follow just look for
l***l(37) and a***(16) in the bidding history. They always bid, never win, and if they happen to be in the lead in the last 10 seconds they disappear. It’s really messed up what this guy is doing.

I've never bothered bidding on his stuff. interesting to the shenanigans going on. One thing I have noticed is that his stones are going much cheaper than they were before.

Be careful on the bay he isn't the only one to figure this out. He has been doing it for years now too. I think the sellers from overseas feel more comfortable doing these kind of things cause good luck prosecuting them. It is a crime here.

David

E3B4C31C-3C23-43BF-9B92-3E2B1BBC30E9.jpeg
28E953E4-A8AA-41C4-9B00-EA811A4F86AB.png

Here’s the bidding activity from the same auction I posted about earlier. At 10 seconds left the l***l(37) goes poof. He’s trying to get guys caught in a bidding war only to drive the price up and then pull out with seconds left, and he’s getting away with it on almost every auction.

It is insane that the bay allows this blatant violation to continue all for money. I say anyone who judges those who bought from him need to stop buying anything on the bay. They are way bigger criminals. They pay people supposedly to find this kind of stuff and we point it out to them and years later it is still continuing and anyone could figure this out.

I like a good deal just as much as the next guy. But I have a very busy schedule and time is a very precious resource. Thats said, I have no problem paying a little more for stones out of the gate knowing I can ce certain what I am buying. It’s by far worth the time and hastle. The guys that are users themselves who test stones some are members here. I would much rather see my money go to help support those guys any day of the week.

BTW, some really shady stuff going on with some of those supposed bidders. Thanks for pointing that out.

In French : people says: chaque objet a sa valeur = every thing has its value. I am a victim of Ebay , loose a lot already. be careful when buying via Ebay.

Old tactic revisited. He did this a few years back under his old profile. My guess was because he was either reading our threads or because people had complained to ebay about it and he figured if we can't see it it didn't happen.

In the past he has done the private thing when he was auctioning big expensive stones.
Also the guys across the Atlantic do read this forum and SRP. I have been talking to a stone seller in Russia who has helped me locate some nice stuff and they are very well aware of the US forums, the major sellers etc so I wouldn't be surprised if this guy is following.
Remember he was doing business with the Italian guys, giving them discounts and they were buying stones like crazy from him. Once he got exposed they cut ties and stopped promoting him.

Top Bottom