What's new

Is it safe to use old, old aftershaves?

Hey, just a question for you aftershave afficionados. I found an old Avon aftershave in a fancy bottle (looks like a dark blue car) at an antique store. I bought it for display, because I love the look of the car. But then I got to thinking.......is it safe to use? It smells pretty good. The bottle is almost completely full. I don't know when these were released, but I'm thinking maybe the 1970s?

So, what say you? Is it safe to give it a go?

I use a lot of 1970s and earlier aftershaves and colognes. The amount of alcohol in them is a pretty good preservative. I too trawl the aisles of antique and second hand stores for Avon bottles that still have juice left.

I wondered the same thing when I bought my first Avon vintage.. since then I've collected nearly a dozen different scents and I use them all. Splash away!!

As long as the scent is still pleasing , and not "off ", you'll be fine..The off scent old stuff is harmless, it just smells funny.

Why not??

I prefer many ‘vintage’ scents to the current production (especially Old Spice)!! :a14::a14:

As others have said, vintage is good. My aunt and uncle would give me Old Spice AS and talc every Christmas starting when I was 18 years old. I found a bottle that dates back at least 30 years when I moved to AZ from FL four years ago. It was never opened and was just fine when I used it.

No. Not safe. Send them to me for proper disposal :)

They are fine to use as long as they smell OK, and probably OK if they don't smell OK, but why would you?

I have a vintage bottle of English Leather that I would not use. The question is when did it go bad? I would say that it was bad to start with.

I have a vintage bottle of English Leather that I would not use. The question is when did it go bad? I would say that it was bad to start with.
Ha, I just went through my vintage English Leather Cologne and aftershave collection last night! One of my wife’s favorites when I wear it.

For a long time, he doubted about the cologne that was left from my grandfather, because he smells great, but here is his time limit. I will try, I hope everything will be fine :)

Legion

Staff member
Yup, used lots of 70's AS with no ill effects, other than the scents seem to be a lot stronger back then, so you might want to go easy, unless you want peoples eyes to water in the elevator.

It shouldnt be an issue at all. Many actively search for vintage aftershaves. I recently scored 2 Skin Bracer gift sets. One came with a speed stick (not sure about using it but its cool) from the 70s and the other (with a speed stick AND a signed Nolan Ryan baseball!) from the 80s. I also scored a Gillette SunUp gift set from the 60s. I have used the SunUp and loved it. I may or may not use the vintage skin bracer. I havent decided yet as I have a good supply of current juice. If it doesn't smell funny it should be fine.

One of the more commonly used vintage aftershaves is Old Spice. This is because the original formula by Shulton is quite different than the current Proctor and Gamble formula. Shavers who prefer the original formula buy the vintage bottles and use them including myself from time to time.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Yes, I used some Avon Tai Winds out of the pipe bottle today. I'm still alive :) or at least I don't smell dead. I smell like Tai Winds.

I make it a point to hit the local flea mall around here. Just yesterday I scored a half bottle of Stetson for 3.00 bucks. The juice is still good.

out many vintage aftershaves and colognes, never ran into anything that is 'bad'.

old aftershaves.jpg

Top Bottom