What's new

Not To Sound Harsh, But . . .

One of the primary reasons I—or any of us—come here is because of the community, so much genuine desire to help each individual succeed...

I find it so thoroughly and utterly refreshing to come here, day after day, and read posts and responses written in full sentences with actual punctuation and, for the internet, an exceptional grasp of spelling. Moreover, to read over replies which are thought out and delivered with personality...

+1! Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar of traditional values in shaving and English usage!! :a29:

Oh deer! :001_tongu
What gets under my skin more so is the use of unnecessary esoteric vocabulary and unintelligible acronyms that are completely inaccessible in meaning to all but the initiated. I wonder who could make up the most ridiculous sentence? Such as, 'I just received my CG Lvl2 OC DE that I'll use with my MdC and hope SWMBO isn't upset.'

Not to mention "favour" and the like. :)

'England and America are two countries divided by a common language'

I attribute it to Britain's unfortunate proximity to France.

I remember reading it was a pet peeve of Churchill's to receive documents from American military headquarters on which the word "theater" appeared rather than "theatre".

I attribute it to Britain's unfortunate proximity to France.

I remember reading it was a pet peeve of Churchill's to receive documents from American military headquarters on which the word "theater" appeared rather than "theatre".

I attribute it to Noah Webster Jr.; the creator of Webster's Dictionary. He removed the superfluous "u" from many spellings , switched the "re" to "er" in other spellings, and changed "defence" to "defense". Many were already alternative spellings, and he literally wrote the book on American-English spellings. :)
Noah Webster - Wikipedia

I attribute it to Noah Webster Jr.; the creator of Webster's Dictionary. He removed the superfluous "u" from many spellings , switched the "re" to "er" in other spellings, and changed "defence" to "defense". Many were already alternative spellings, and he literally wrote the book on American-English spellings. :)
Noah Webster - Wikipedia

I will not so easily relinquish the ability to poke fun at the British and French in so few syllables. The superfluous "u" MUST be from an undue French influence.

On a purely linguistic note, I also remember reading that American deep South manners of speaking and accent (some might call "redneck") are in fact the closest remaining dialect to English as it was spoken in Elizabethan times.

Think about that for a moment. Original productions of "Hamlet" and "Macbeth" may have sounded a lot less like Kenneth Brannaugh and Patrick Stewart, and more like Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy.

The superfluous "u" MUST be from an undue French influence.

Superfluous and French are synonyms, Oui? :)

Interesting to note, when using "Forte" to mean a personal strength, it is supposed to be pronounced "fôrt". When used as a musical direction it is pronounced "fôrˌtā". But I have never heard it pronounced as such(the first)!

Original productions of "Hamlet" and "Macbeth" may have sounded a lot less like Kenneth Brannaugh and Patrick Stewart, and more like Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy.

So Hamlet and Macbeth are supposed to be fun and entertaining to watch? No a dull and dreary English required torment. :)

Forte, coupe, and frappe are pronounced without sounding the final "e" because there are no accent marks in English, as opposed to French.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Superfluous and French are synonyms, Oui? :)

Interesting to note, when using "Forte" to mean a personal strength, it is supposed to be pronounced "fôrt". When used as a musical direction it is pronounced "fôrˌtā". But I have never heard it pronounced as such(the first)!

So Hamlet and Macbeth are supposed to be fun and entertaining to watch? No a dull and dreary English required torment. :)

proxy.php

Speaking of which, this is an interesting and fun play. Rather amazing to witness.

Yes, yes, yes to the OP.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Here in Australia with auto correct on the computers that I have used it always seems to default to the American spelling of words. Such as centre spelled this way in Australia and center spelled that way in American. I have lots of fun when I type replies, as I have red squiggly lines under lots of words that I have spelled correctly in my book.
Don't forget the Canucks!

One of the primary reasons I—or any of us—come here is because of the community, so much genuine desire to help each individual succeed and enjoin us in our fascination and utter joy of DE (or SR) shaving. The installation and servicing of Acquisition Disorders is at once well-intentioned, universally understood, and happily shared if not outright enabled. All part of the fun and intrigue.:1eye:

I am no Rhode scholar (see, note the sloppy grammar!), certainly did not graduate high school or college Cum Laude. But somewhere along the line I acquired a deep respect, an abiding love for the written word and its ability to convey, to evoke, to move and inspire. Those of us who have spent most any amount of time online, in most any regard, are witness to the galling disregard native English speakers seem to have for their language. ‘News’ articles lacking editing, comments seemingly concocted by drooling troglodytes, and flame wars pitched and hammered out by those who lose a little mental acuity with each sneeze.

Surely you’re wondering where I’m headed with this (<—dangling participle—not good form!), so here it is.

I find it so thoroughly and utterly refreshing to come here, day after day, and read posts and responses written in full sentences with actual punctuation and, for the internet, an exceptional grasp of spelling. Moreover, to read over replies which are thought out and delivered with personality. Sadly, I had allowed myself to begin believing the English language was taking a huge dump and would very soon be flushed down the toilet of irrationality whilst the aforementioned troglodytes clap their hands and drool with glee.

Gentlemen, thank you for, unbeknownst to you, helping to lift my faith in the American/ English use of language. B&B has provided ample proof it is still alive and kicking in the best of ways.

Tru dat! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom