What's new

The Walking Stick

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Two more uses for such: Knocking down these seasonal Golden Orb spider webs which are strewn across every path in our woods ... and I met a hiker that thumps the ground with his stick as he goes, to alert recumbent snakes. He had lost a dog to a rattler strike on the dog's muzzle. Sad.

AA

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I found another Harry Lauder's tree at my recently deceased father in law's place. I drooled at the fun this will be!

I found another Harry Lauder's tree at my recently deceased father in law's place. I drooled at the fun this will be!
I knew of Harry Lauder, and his walking stick...
proxy.php

... but I never saw that kind of tree (Corylus avellana 'Contorta') before.

proxy.php

It's certainly an appropriate nickname.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm doing maybe 7 or 8 miles daily. Every couple days I pick up a stick, never saw a need to carry one. Maybe when I get older than 67

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I knew of Harry Lauder, and his walking stick...
proxy.php

... but I never saw that kind of tree (Corylus avellana 'Contorta') before.

proxy.php

It's certainly an appropriate nickname.
Thanks for the pic. I never knew why they called it by his name. I'll have to research him.

Fly fishing shops sell wading staffs that might be of interest to some. Folstaf is a folding type.

Don't overlook round closet rods; they can be repurposed.

Well, I lost my favourite stick somewhere, and had to make do with a black plastic curtain rod knob on a walnut-stained dowel from the hardwood store.
So... last night I pulled the trigger on a Statesman.
Like this:
proxy.php

But with a black shaft.
I figure that scratches or dents on a black shaft would be easier to touch up, and a solid brass head can be polished without worrying about plating loss.

Don't overlook round closet rods; they can be repurposed.
Did I mention a sawed-off hockey stick yet?
Sawed-off hockey sticks are great for the woods. They can take a lot of abuse. If you're lucky it already has a friction tape grip on it.
Two more uses for such: Knocking down these seasonal Golden Orb spider webs which are strewn across every path in our woods ...
The creature I remember suspended on a thread at eye level on one of our trails was a Hornworm the size of my pinky.
proxy.php

Euw.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well, I lost my favourite stick somewhere, and had to make do with a black plastic curtain rod knob on a walnut-stained dowel from the hardwood store.
Like this:
proxy.php

But with a black shaft.
I figure that scratches or dents on a black shaft would be easier to touch up, and a solid brass head can be polished without worrying about plating loss.

Sawed-off hockey sticks are great for the woods. They can take a lot of abuse. If you're lucky it already has a friction tape grip on it.

The creature I remember suspended on a thread at eye level on one of our trails was a Hornworm the size of my pinky.
proxy.php

Euw.

Icky bug, neat stick!

I can't use one, got to have hands free.

We really do have fat rattlesnakes though...

AA

I made 2 using shovel handles that had broken off and I cut them to length. Topped them with pre WW2 Brass Hame heads!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Going to (finally) try a collapsable shooting stick next hike.

Light; can be strapped to pack so hands-free; V-top can hold pack if driven into sand/soil.

Hate putting my pack on the ground due to chiggers etc.

Thinking of it as an extra hand, so to speak. Hang a radio or light, hat or clothes etc.

AA

Like this:
proxy.php

But with a black shaft.

proxy.php

Euw.
Cool stick!

That’s a tomato worm. At least, that’s what we called them. I used to get a nickel a piece for them from farmers. They would give you a coffee can with a half inch of gas in it and cut you loose in the tomato fields. I used to fill up a lot of cans.

Top Bottom