What's new

Astra Blades...

As far as price is concerned, they are both the same price ($10.99) at razorbladesclub.com.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Nothing to get exited about. Slightly below average blade in my opinion.
Israeli personna in red ( for USA market) or blue packaging (for European market) cost the same but delivers much comfortable shave.
Astra is pretty rough, unforgiving blade.

Connaught Shaving has Personna for $10.70 per hundred

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I get a decent shave with the SP, it's just that the SS loves me more. Wierd. Or weird, lovin me some dyslexia today.

I've only tried about 10-12 blades, but the Astra SP is easily my favorite. Smooth from the first shave until the last (10 or so), sharp and cheap. The biggest plus is that it doesn't get rough as it gets older; other blades start to give me nicks and weepers.

Based on reviews I bought a 100 pack of SPs when I started and have enjoyed them.

I did recently buy a sample pack of blades to try but need to settle on a razor for a few weeks to try them with (unlike switching razors every day!)

They are nicely sharp, but i find them not smooth, and they are borderline unforgiving if hand slips or if you try to push a bit ATG or even CTG then blood would pour out lol, if only they were a tad bit smoother then maybe they would've been the cream of the top

I bought 50 Astra sp from Amazon Canada when I started this shaving insanity 2 years ago. I could not get a good shave from them. I thought it must be me since they're really popular, and I usually like blades that everybody else likes. I went back to them several times, but they were always harsh and scratchy. Fast forward to now. I bought some stuff on the bst from @Jer78 and thought I'd throw the Astras he had for sale in with the other stuff. I tried one this morning. Eureka! Sharp and smooth! I guess I got a bunch of duds two years ago. Now I'm in trouble. I have way more blades than I can possibly use. But these are really nice blades. Aaaarg.

Astra SP is my daily blade. The first shave is good, but the worst of the week, as I get 6 more smooth shaves out of every blade. I really don't feel I need to chuck every one of them after a week, but at 10 cents a blade, I do.

Like many here, I started my DE journey with a DE89, a tub of TOB, and a carton of Astra SP. It was a good beginning, with no complaints. All three products I mentioned are reasonable quality products at a good value, and I still recommend them to noobs. But I personally feel I've outgrown them.

As to the Astras specifically, I feel they are a good inexpensive all-arounder blade, but I've found better specific use blades in Feather, Nacet, GSB, Yellows, KAI, and Polsilver.

It is a great benchmark for me and there is the GSB that is better. There seem to many who like that blade possibly because it is also readily available at a very competitive price. The Astra SS is not too tardy either but you don't hear a lot about that blade.

Astra SP is my daily blade. The first shave is good, but the worst of the week, as I get 6 more smooth shaves out of every blade. I really don't feel I need to chuck every one of them after a week, but at 10 cents a blade, I do.
My experience...exactly.

To me Astra SP are smooth if not particularly sharp a blade. With Nacets and Feathers I can get BBS in 1 1/2 passes with Astras I often have stubble in some areas. As I have to go over the same area more than with my other blades, I sometimes leads to some razor burn.

Top Bottom