What's new

Tallow & Steel: Weirdly Excellent

Of the 600 plus I've tried Tallow & Steel is my second best performing soap right behind Grooming Dept. I bought the Orangeilla set as well and I'm really enjoying it. Definitely glad that I picked this one up.

I am looking to add to my T&S collection. I have read all the reviews. I am intrigued by Maya but a bit confused. Many have described it as a "cola" type scent but I am not sure how the mixture of lime, allspice, cocoa and coffee creates "cola"? Let's start with this: Is it a food type scent? Mickey Lee made a Cocoa Maya which I loved but to my nose that was mostly chocolate with a little coffee. Is T&S Maya in any way related to ML Cocoa Maya?

I am looking to add to my T&S collection. I have read all the reviews. I am intrigued by Maya but a bit confused. Many have described it as a "cola" type scent but I am not sure how the mixture of lime, allspice, cocoa and coffee creates "cola"? Let's start with this: Is it a food type scent? Mickey Lee made a Cocoa Maya which I loved but to my nose that was mostly chocolate with a little coffee. Is T&S Maya in any way related to ML Cocoa Maya?
So, I have never used Cocoa Maya, so I can't address whether Maya is at all similar. But I can say that I do pick up a certain chocolate-Dr. Pepper vibe in Maya. I know that some have a hard time wrapping their brains around what the scent of cola actually is (a lot of citrus and spices), but keep in mind that the scent was constructed from the ground up, and I don't imagine that it was made to emulate any particular smell.

Check out the original recipe for Coca-Cola:

Fluid extract of Coca: 3 drams USP
Citric acid: 3 oz
Caffeine: 1 oz
Sugar: 30 (unclear quantity)
Water: 2.5 gal
Lime juice: 2 pints, 1 quart
Vanilla: 1 oz
Caramel: 1.5 oz or more for color

The secret 7X flavor (use 2 oz of flavor to 5 gals syrup):
Alcohol: 8 oz
Orange oil: 20 drops
Lemon oil: 30 drops
Nutmeg oil: 10 drops
Coriander: 5 drops
Neroli: 10 drops
Cinnamon: 10 drops

Sure, there's no cocoa in the recipe, but that vanilla would certainly serve as a similar base to all of those spices and citrus!
I guess what I'm trying to say is that, yes, Maya has a rich cocoa and coffee vibe. But it is also really easy for me to pick up something that I associate with "cola". If that combination sounds appealing, go for it! If not, perhaps wait for Dark II to be released in a few days.

So, I have never used Cocoa Maya, so I can't address whether Maya is at all similar. But I can say that I do pick up a certain chocolate-Dr. Pepper vibe in Maya. I know that some have a hard time wrapping their brains around what the scent of cola actually is (a lot of citrus and spices), but keep in mind that the scent was constructed from the ground up, and I don't imagine that it was made to emulate any particular smell.

Check out the original recipe for Coca-Cola:

Fluid extract of Coca: 3 drams USP
Citric acid: 3 oz
Caffeine: 1 oz
Sugar: 30 (unclear quantity)
Water: 2.5 gal
Lime juice: 2 pints, 1 quart
Vanilla: 1 oz
Caramel: 1.5 oz or more for color

The secret 7X flavor (use 2 oz of flavor to 5 gals syrup):
Alcohol: 8 oz
Orange oil: 20 drops
Lemon oil: 30 drops
Nutmeg oil: 10 drops
Coriander: 5 drops
Neroli: 10 drops
Cinnamon: 10 drops

Sure, there's no cocoa in the recipe, but that vanilla would certainly serve as a similar base to all of those spices and citrus!
I guess what I'm trying to say is that, yes, Maya has a rich cocoa and coffee vibe. But it is also really easy for me to pick up something that I associate with "cola". If that combination sounds appealing, go for it! If not, perhaps wait for Dark II to be released in a few days.

Certainly the Allspice and Lime adds something to the T&S Maya that would not be present in the ML Maya. On the other hand, I don't get any chocolate sense from Dr. Pepper or any other soda. I may just go the safe route and order the West Indies.

Certainly the Allspice and Lime adds something to the T&S Maya that would not be present in the ML Maya. On the other hand, I don't get any chocolate sense from Dr. Pepper or any other soda. I may just go the safe route and order the West Indies.
I didn't mean to imply that Dr. Pepper is chocolatey. I just meant that those elements are both evident to me. I like Maya. it reminds me of a cocoa drink that I had when I was in Guatemala!

I didn't mean to imply that Dr. Pepper is chocolatey. I just meant that those elements are both evident to me. I like Maya. it reminds me of a cocoa drink that I had when I was in Guatemala!

LOL And I had resigned myself to buying West Indies. Now that you mention your favorite cocoa drink in Guatemala, Maya is back in the running. I do love to torture myself over these decisions. Nothing brings out my OCD like a difficult soap decision.

LOL And I had resigned myself to buying West Indies. Now that you mention your favorite cocoa drink in Guatemala, Maya is back in the running. I do love to torture myself over these decisions. Nothing brings out my OCD like a difficult soap decision.
And keep in mind that cocoa isn't really a "sweet" scent, but rather, body for all of those citrus and spice top notes. In other words, this isn't "chocolate" as it is often presented to us. This is chocolate without the cloying sugar and vanilla.
That being said, I really recommend that you take a look at Dark, which will be coming out in a few days!

And keep in mind that cocoa isn't really a "sweet" scent, but rather, body for all of those citrus and spice top notes. In other words, this isn't "chocolate" as it is often presented to us. This is chocolate without the cloying sugar and vanilla.
That being said, I really recommend that you take a look at Dark, which will be coming out in a few days!

Best description of Dark? I've heard peppermint patties

Best description of Dark? I've heard peppermint patties

Dark most definitely suits me. I enjoy many mint soaps. So for now Sicily and Dark at at the top of my list. If I go for #3 it will be West Indies, for sure. I can put my OCD to rest for now.

Cheers

Top Bottom