What's new

OMG! Omega 10098!

Oh my goodness (OMG), I just received the Omega 10098 boar bristle brush and it is awesome! I have an Omega 81052 (?) and like it a lot but that barber handle 10098 just kept calling me. The price is certainly right on it but I was a little put off by the various descriptions of its size and initial odor. Well, dang it, don't believe everything you read.

This brush is great! My brush (from the good folks at WCS) had no odor, and I mean none whatsoever.

The handle has great ergonomics. It just fits in the hand and the design also keeps it from slipping into my lathering bowl/mug. I wish the handle had a tad bit more weight is all.

This brush picked up lather from a soap puck with great ease and it face lathered wonderfully.

I'm telling you, I am really liking boar brushes.

phenomenal brush, if you wanted to fill the handle with something to make it feel solid, mine did come apart without breaking, but ymmv. i did not add anything.

phenomenal brush, if you wanted to fill the handle with something to make it feel solid, mine did come apart without breaking, but ymmv. i did not add anything.
Good to know. I looked at that and thought about maybe taking it apart but I was afraid that Omega might have used nuclear fusion black-hole super-collider glue of some sort and I'd break the handle. In any case, the handle is perfectly useable as is.

It is funny, but there seems to be quite a divide around here between those who love Semogue boars and those who love Omega boars. I have both, but get only mediocre results with Semogue. My Omega 10098 professional cost less than $15, but once broken-in performs as well as my high-density premium badger brushes costing 10 times that amount. I have sensitive skin and find the Omega to be just as soft as silvertip badgers.

It is funny, but there seems to be quite a divide around here between those who love Semogue boars and those who love Omega boars. I have both, but get only mediocre results with Semogue. My Omega 10098 professional cost less than $15, but once broken-in performs as well as my high-density premium badger brushes costing 10 times that amount. I have sensitive skin and find the Omega to be just as soft as silvertip badgers.
Interesting. What you said about the brush performing as well as a badger brush costing 10 times as much is almost verbatim what I said to my wife this morning about it. True, true indeed.

Regarding the "divide" with Semogue, I can't comment as I've never owned or used a Semogue brush. Maybe I'll pick one up some day.

The semogue versus omega issue is as polarizing as derby blades.

While I very much like the tip feel of the '98, and my, what a wonderful brush to use with the awesome common shaving soaps from Italy. I find it's a bit more difficult to keep warmth in the wet bristles than my badgers. So for me, it's more of a summer-fall brush when I'm liking cool and using things with lots of menthols to take my mind off the heat and humidity. What really comes out is there are good reasons for each type of brush.

The 98 surely is one of the best Omega boars.
If you can pass over the ultra cheap "home depot" hollow ABS plastic handle, the '98 has a great knot on par with the best (49, 20102).

I will repeat what i had written before: Semogues, have finer bristles, more bloom and require more loading and effort to learn their quirks. Omegas, don't have as fine bristles, but they work easier. They are more a tool than a brush for show. I prefer Semogue for the feeling, but Omegas just work easier. Especially a beginner, will have a much easier life learning boars from an Omega, than a Semogue.

@ike Congratulations for the brush.

Oh my goodness (OMG), I just received the Omega 10098 boar bristle brush and it is awesome! I have an Omega 81052 (?) and like it a lot but that barber handle 10098 just kept calling me. The price is certainly right on it but I was a little put off by the various descriptions of its size and initial odor. Well, dang it, don't believe everything you read.

This brush is great! My brush (from the good folks at WCS) had no odor, and I mean none whatsoever.

The handle has great ergonomics. It just fits in the hand and the design also keeps it from slipping into my lathering bowl/mug. I wish the handle had a tad bit more weight is all.

This brush picked up lather from a soap puck with great ease and it face lathered wonderfully.

I'm telling you, I am really liking boar brushes.
The top pops off. You can add and then glue weights into the bottom part of the handle, then snap the top back on.

Attachments

• custom (3).jpg
    custom (3).jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 38
Glad you found what works for you. I've searched for a boar that works for me. I found a Thater Premium White Boar that's my keeper. (Hate my Semogue 830, gave it to a friend who loves it) Also have a Omega Proraso Pro I'm undecided on. Neither one will replace my Simpson badgers. Nothing wrong with Boars, they just aren't for me, I keep trying, the Thater is a keeper but still not close to my Simpson badgers.

Last edited:
Glad you found what works for you. I've searched for a boar that works for me. I found a Thater that's my keeper. Also have a Omega Proraso Pro I'm undecided on. Neither one will replace my Simpson badgers. Nothing wrong with Boars, they just aren't for me, I keep trying.

If you want a boar brush to perform well, you have to keep using it until it is broken-in. If you use one every once in a while along with other brushes, it could take months or even years to reach its full potential. I have a Barbershop brand (Austria) boar that is over 35 years old. It is well broken in and still makes a great lather.

If you want a boar brush to perform well, you have to keep using it until it is broken-in. If you use one every once in a while along with other brushes, it could take months or even years to reach its full potential. I have a Barbershop brand (Austria) boar that is over 35 years old. It is well broken in and still makes a great lather.
I did, the 830 I had for 4 months of every other day use. Maybe I got a not so good one. It had great split hairs but wasn't for me. My Thater is more dense like my Chubby 2s

It is one of my favorite brushes. As it shows on my profile pic. Has great splay and scrub. It flays water at times but it has a luscious feeling on the face.

It is one of my favorite brushes. As it shows on my profile pic. Has great splay and scrub. It flays water at times but it has a luscious feeling on the face.
Right now my two favorite boars are the Omega 81052 and the 10098. Though the pro49 knot is similar to the 10098 I just don’t like it as well. I’m thinking it is the handle design. There is an 81064 in the mail as I write this and I am anxious to try this fabled brush.

In all actuality , I am leaning toward favoring boars overall. I have four synthetics and I believe I will be putting 2 or 3 up for sale very soon.

I have a Simpson Persian 2 Superbadger that is wonderful for face lathering, but my boars still pick up soap much easier than badger. In any case, my boars are darn good face lathers as well.

Top Bottom