What's new

Are there any shave soaps or butters similar to Van Der Hagen Shaving Soap?

I'm still new to wet shaving. I have started off with the Van Der Hagen Double Edge Razor they sell at Walmart and their Shaving Butter. I've had nothing but a GREAT experience with both. I ordered the Proraso Sensitive Shaving Soap and tried it. I didn't like the experience. I found the lather too thin and it didn't cut as smooth as the Van Der Hagen Butter and didn't cut the hair as well. I don't know if its because I didn't lather properly or the product is just thin like that.

My question is, are there any shave soaps or butters that perform and feel like the Van Der Hagen? For those not familiar with it, the shaving butter IS exactly that, it has the consistency of butter. I noticed that the title of the thread says Van Der Hagen Shaving Soap, it should say Shaving BUTTER.

proxy.php

A relatively QUICK lather using the brush. I dipped a wet brush into the Proraso soap, then put the brush into a shaving bowl to and lathered the brush and applied to my face.

Cremo in was he tube is a non lathering shave cream. I’ve used both VDH and Cremo and Cremo was better. You should be able to get a good thick lather from the Proraso. Try using more cream when you lather or less water.

Dollar shave club has a shave butter. But we need to get you lathering the proper way. Lots of great lathering resources here on B&B and on YouTube.

Cremo in was he tube is a non lathering shave cream. I’ve used both VDH and Cremo and Cremo was better. You should be able to get a good thick lather from the Proraso. Try using more cream when you lather or less water.
I noticed the Cremo over at West Coast Shaving. I'm gonna try that along with the Taylor of Bond Street Shaving Cream. I'm not gonna give up on the Proraso either. Gonna take the advice I was given above and apply more soap the next time and less water.

I'm still new to wet shaving. I have started off with the Van Der Hagen Double Edge Razor they sell at Walmart and their Shaving Butter. I've had nothing but a GREAT experience with both. I ordered the Proraso Sensitive Shaving Soap and tried it. I didn't like the experience. I found the lather too thin and it didn't cut as smooth as the Van Der Hagen Butter and didn't cut the hair as well. I don't know if its because I didn't lather properly or the product is just thin like that.

My question is, are there any shave soaps or butters that perform and feel like the Van Der Hagen? For those not familiar with it, the shaving butter IS exactly that, it has the consistency of butter. I noticed that the title of the thread says Van Der Hagen Shaving Soap, it should say Shaving BUTTER.

proxy.php
Look for shave butters, not soap.

I did run across Bromley's Shave Cream(Krogers), Ed Hardy Shave Cream(Marshalls), and Barbury Shave Cream(Sally's Beauty Supply) that were similar to butter.

Thanks for the recommendations above. I'm gonna try a few of them. They can be found on Amazon which I use when I want quick shipment. I picked up the Cremo at Walmart when I went out today.

My one son only uses Cremo & he likes it a lot. I tried it but, didn't care for it as I like thick lather for cushion. I don't care much for Proraso Sensitive but, I get thick lather from it. What brush are you using.?

My one son only uses Cremo & he likes it a lot. I tried it but, didn't care for it as I like thick lather for cushion. I don't care much for Proraso Sensitive but, I get thick lather from it. What brush are you using.?

I'm using a Parker Synthetic. I've started using less water with the Proraso and have gotten better results. Still not as thick as I want but its a improvement. I like the thickness and the smoothness of my skin after using the Van der Hagen. I'm liking the Proraso more but will continue to try and find a soap or butter that feels like the Van der Hagen butter.

There are some shave butters and creams that are designed to be used without a brush. You apply with your fingertips only. They are non-lathering. If you try to use a brush, they just make a mess of the brush. Some you might run across in local stores are Alba Botanica and Shea Moisture Shave Butter, VDH Shave butter, etc.

There are some shave creams that can be used with or without a brush. Cremo falls into that category. Cremo is my "go to" shave cream for travel. I do not like brushless creams, so I add a little water to Cremo, whip up a lather and apply it to my face. It is not something I would want to do daily, but for travel, it is convenient.

The very best shave creams and soaps require a brush to build and apply a lather for shaving. I would highly encourage you to try some of those products. Once you do, you may never want to use a brushless product again.

You found what works for you and that's great, now do yourself a favor
and try one of the popular artisan soaps that get mentioned on this forum.

I still use cremo every now and again. I usually put it in a bowl and lather it with my brush. I prefer their cooling formulary over the original. Not real big on that Orangy cutrus scent.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom