What's new

New to pipes

hey guys just got into smoking pipes, grabbed a corn cob that I love and a Savinelli as a higher end pipe...

Just curious does the briar need a break in?? I packed 1/4 bowl first to start a cAke as I read that is recommened....do that a few times than goto 1/2 to full after a few smokes.

Been smoking some house blends from a local tobacco store and they have been pretty good so far, just ordered some tins to step out and see what I really like. Just waiting for delivery.

Also I am curious about cleaning and condition the briar pipe, I read everclear can be used for the pipe cleaners and inside, wondering what people use as a in home product to keep the finish on the pipe top notch

Thanks Jim

Keep the alcohol away from the briar, it may strip the finish and isn't real good on the inside. Great for cleaning the bit though. You can buy pipe waxes from the vendors, or I suppose any good paste wood wax would work. Obsidian oil on vulcanite stems keeps then shiny. I've never really "broke" in a pipe, I just make a point of letting them cool when they start to feel too warm.

Welcome! It is good to have you here with us!

If the briar has a bowl coating/treatment, you shouldn't have to break it in. But it is a good idea to go slow and find out what works best for you. I have been using Everclear on my pipe bowls (inside only) for years with no ill effects. I just dip the tip of a pipe cleaner in the Everclear and swab the airway. I follow that with a dry pipe cleaner to soak up any excess gunk/Everclear. I then fold the pipe cleaner in half and swab out the bowl. Make sure to tap out the pipe before and after cleaning. You will be surprised at some the stuff that comes out of your pipe after swabbing.

Alcohol/Everclear works great on both vulcanite and acrylic stems. Obsidian oil is great on vulcanite stems but only after you have cleaned them first. Any good carnauba wax will work on both the stems and the briar. There are plenty of brands of wax that you could use, but I make sure it is pure carnauba.

I hope this helps. If you have questions, just speak up. All of us here are happy to help. Welcome to your new adventure!

If I don't have any Everclear handy, I find a good single malt whisky will work just fine for swabbing out the stem/shank - I only dip a clean pipe cleaner in my whisky!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Yeah, keep alcohol away from the outside of the pipe, but myself and many others have had lots of success cleaning the insides of pipes with alcohol. Yours shouldn't need anything like that, though, since they're new. You asked specifically about the finish: assuming it's a smooth finish, I'd use a soft flannel cloth, and then needed, I'd use Walker Briar Works polish, which is a carnuba blend which is soft enough you can put it on without using a buffing wheel. Simply rub a bit of the wax on, let it sit for 10 minutes or so, wipe off, and then buff with a clean cloth. Works great. Or you can do the old codger method which recommends rubbing a warm pipe on the sides of your nose to give it a good shine of nose grease. Gross, I know, but I've tried this on a few pipes and it works surprisingly well.

Or you can do the old codger method which recommends rubbing a warm pipe on the sides of your nose to give it a good shine of nose grease. Gross, I know, but I've tried this on a few pipes and it works surprisingly well.

HAHAHAHA. Whaddaya bet that lots of us are going to try that this weekend? I have a visual in my head that won't go away, Micah. Thanks for that. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've used the skin oil technique for a long time, but usually use my finger instead of rubbing the pipe on the side of my nose, but I've done that to.
I use Everclear for pipe cleaning on a regular basis. The single malt I reserve for swabbing myself out.

Or you can do the old codger method which recommends rubbing a warm pipe on the sides of your nose to give it a good shine of nose grease.
Works well on fishing rod sections to help them come apart afterwards, haven't tried it on a pipe before though.

Top Bottom