What's new

How often do you shave when you're retired/not working?

How often do you shave when you're retired/not working?

• - Every day

Votes: 67 59.8%
  • - Every 2 days

Votes: 31 27.7%
  • - Longer than 2 days

Votes: 14 12.5%

• Total voters
Even retired, I'd shave every day. It's an important part of my daily ritual. Maybe once or twice a year, I might be too BUSY (not lazy!) to actually not shave, but that might involve travel and meeting an itinerary schedule. Even when ill or on my days off, I shave.

Don

I shave every two days right now, sometimes postponing things by a day. I see no reason I would change that in retirement. For me the act of shaving is a meditative thing . . . time to just be alone, and blot out all outside thoughts to just focus on something that, while completely inconsequential to my overall life, is wholly personal to me.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
After a five day hike it used to take several bic disposable razors to get somewhat close to a good shave. The hair /barbasol clogged the razors.
When I go longer than a full week I trim the beard first with clippers. Then shave as normal. Otherwise there is no way I can put a razor to it.

Daily, because I feel scruffy otherwise. The only exceptions are when I'm really sick. Or when working as a poll worker in the last election, I moved the previous day's shave from AM to PM and then skipped shaving on election day. I think I can count the number of days I've missed over the last ten years on the fingers of one hand.

Bakker1964 said it for me. Except I may shave every 3 days, 4 maybe, or maybe 2 weeks, all depends. After all I am retired. :a17:

I shave two or three times a week. I'll shave if I have an appointment I want to look good for too. My wife likes the whiskers!!!

For most of my 40+ working years I used an injector or cart and only shaved once or twice a week because I didn't need to shave for my jobs. By the time I retired I was using a DE and shaved every other day into the first 7 years of retirement. The last year or more, I've gotten lazy and gone to 3, sometimes 4, days between shaves.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I shave every second day when I’m out working. When I’m not on assignment working with other people, I usually shave every 3 to 5 days. After that I do enjoy whacking away a nice amount of scruff. My wife and job don’t require me to shave ever, but I do love shaving so I do it.

I’ve shaved daily since I was 22. I may have missed a few days in 1970 when I was in SE Asia, but that was an exception. Now that I’m retired, since 2007, I still shave daily. I may miss a day, maybe once every 2-3 years. But I just don’t feel right if I don’t shave. As my father trained me, “A gentleman shaves daily.”

It’s a hobby! I shave every day I can, otherwise my long list of less favored razors would be even lonelier than they are now. I might take a day off, to give a razor a stubblier test, but if I could produce a visible 5 o’clock shadow I would happily shave twice a day. Of course, I work on my own schedule and finally chased the last one off to college...

If I could shave three times a day, and had an EMT downstairs enjoying a cup of coffee, I might even use my R41 some morning. But it’s a hobby, not a death wish.

Even if I don't have to be shaven for daily activities, I believe it's a healthy exercise/ritual for a man to do. One of the common symptoms of poor mental health is poor hygiene. Keep your body in good shape and the mind will follow as they both work in synergy.

How can you not shave every day? I’ve been retired for 8 years and still shave daily. What else can I do and have so much fun.

I hate the transition time between clean shaven and long enough to lose the sandpaper. I try every-other-day once in awhile. Always end up back at daily and smooth.

Top Bottom