What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

I got this some time ago but just yesterday I pulled it out of the box to play with it. Hard stone. Has some draw to it. Tried few different tomos and it seems it really matches well with a very hard one I got from Gamma. The stamps are gone but what I liked was the original price sticker which I sealed with cashew to preserve it. It's a combo of grey and yellow and in one corner the colors meet creating alternating layers.

IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_1598.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG

IMG_2669.JPG

F

ffourteen

That would mean you haven’t lapped the honing surface then… which will give you uneven hone wear.
Yeah, I am....reluctantly. I made a decision to not fall in love with the stamps. Though I admit, it is hard to do..this stone isn't too bad given their are stamps on the side and bottom too. Still, I say this with a deep and reluctant sigh.

I got this some time ago but just yesterday I pulled it out of the box to play with it. Hard stone. Has some draw to it. Tried few different tomos and it seems it really matches well with a very hard one I got from Gamma. The stamps are gone but what I liked was the original price sticker which I sealed with cashew to preserve it. It's a combo of grey and yellow and in one corner the colors meet creating alternating layers.

View attachment 956730
View attachment 956731

View attachment 956732

View attachment 956733
Nice Hatahoshi. I like those stones with full kawa at the back. How would you estimate its speed?

Thank you. Yeah the kawa is nice. I always feel somewhat bad sealing the back because you lose the tactile feel of raw kawa. Finishing a razor after koma it was average speed but then I put a Heljestrand on it, random razor I never honed and dont know what kind of edge it has, and it turned the slurry black in 5 strokes which kind of surprised me so tomorrow I plan to set a proper bevel and try it with DN slurry to see what it can do.

The stone from BLee on page 82 has similar stamps. Both of them look like fast finishers. It would be fun to compare these beautiful stones with a shaving test.

Last edited:
Awesome hones guys..
This came today from So (Japan-tools)
Nakayama Namito Semi Sunashi Suita
20190228_211028.jpg

@alex1921 usage according to So - slurry with dmt 1200.
I am not sure what semi sunashi means?

Very nice, a Nakayama suita is a rare stone to have. So has quite the collection.
When I use suita for midrange I do the same, slurry it with 1200 atoma and go to work.
Not sure what semi sunashi means either.
To answer Sebastians question, the above stone I posted is actually really fast. Heljestrand razor, bevel set on 1k chosera. DN slurry started darkening within 5 x strokes and was completely black at 20 using usual pressure.

Awesome hones guys..
View attachment 957375

That is a very nice stone. Good size and don't see many stones like that. I am wondering if it is a transitional layer. I wonder if he means semi as in part suita part Namito and the suita part is sunashi as these are different strata I thought. Namito is above hon suita I think. Curious others with more knowledge many know better.

Awesome hones guys..
View attachment 957375
@alex1921 usage according to So - slurry with dmt 1200.
I am not sure what semi sunashi means?

I could be wrong, but Im fairly sure Suita only comes from one of 3 layers, tenjou, hon, or shiro. Is not Namito right below Aisa? What is semi sunashi? As in some su not a lot?

What ever the case it looks like a VERY pure homogeneous stone!

Not sure why my post above was stuck in the quote post.

Any way I was saying the Namito and hon suita are next to each other so maybe when they say semi they ment part Namito part sunashi suita not part sunashi .

Thanks for the insights.. I tried honing a TI after chosera 4k on the jnat. No luck .. hht passed at some points around the heel. Will keep trying with other steels.

I think you have to find out the right technique with this stone. With my softer Kiitas, most of my medium hard tomo naguras did not work for the final finishing.
I found out that it is best to use an ultrahard tomonagura because it only forms slurry from the kiita.
Also a bright Thuringian works well with softer stones. The surface of the stone can also be a factor. It should be very smooth if you finish with water only. I use 800 grit sandpaper, sometimes 1200 to polish the stone.

What’s the Russian guy go by on eBay these days? I bought one from a Japanese account with a Japanese address (not for a ton of cash, and not because I thought it was collectible or anything) and now the rock is shipping via Russian post:001_rolle. I’m wondering if it’s the infamous OG, or if others are copying and improving his business model... any chance the stone coming from the wrong part of the world is grounds for a Paypal grievance and refund?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
What’s the Russian guy go by on eBay these days? I bought one from a Japanese account with a Japanese address (not for a ton of cash, and not because I thought it was collectible or anything) and now the rock is shipping via Russian post:001_rolle. I’m wondering if it’s the infamous OG, or if others are copying and improving his business model... any chance the stone coming from the wrong part of the world is grounds for a Paypal grievance and refund?
Today it's Kossy_1123, but that is subject to change at any time. Which stone did you buy?

Today it's Kossy_1123, but that is subject to change at any time. Which stone did you buy?

Smallish “Maruka” kiita iromono koppa. I LOLed when I saw Maruka and koppa together In the header, but fake stamps aside it looks like a nicer than average iromono patterned koppa, and I’ve had good luck on eBay stones recently so I figured why not... even knowing the stamps are fake I was surprised it shipped from Russia!

I guess I’ll just test it when it gets here. I’m not collecting or looking to resell so if it functions well as a razor finisher, woodworking tool finisher, or Tomo Nagura then it’s worth more than what I paid. I’m 5 for 5 so far scoring useful stones and only one has clear provenance because it’s a standard black Tsushima.

I was really just curious what the common knowledge is on this guy now, I didn’t realize he had resurfaced again!

One of maksim's sale stones I rolled the dice on as it was super thick. Had some turbulent grain at the surface and it is very hard. Did it in bits over days. Had to remove like 3/32 of material, maybe more till the squiggles and their shedding went away. Shobudani.
20190307_084746.jpg
20190307_093034.jpg
20190307_094921.jpg
20190308_095526.jpg
20190309_180106.jpg
20190309_180112.jpg
20190309_180118.jpg
20190309_180127.jpg
20190309_180123.jpg

Family portrait of dirty mike and the boys. Still waiting on the latest Russian “Maruka” comrade.

Attachments

• 97CC0499-15A0-4173-B24D-9E5480B228D5.jpeg
    97CC0499-15A0-4173-B24D-9E5480B228D5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
Nice stones all! I need to find me a mid range jnat! The hunt continues!

If you watch there’s a side liquidation account “kanamonoya71” that belongs to Tomohito Iida (long time established seller of Japanese woodworking tools) and I snagged the black Tsushima nagura from that account for less than I’d pay for any other type of high quality mid range. This thing may not look like much but it’s 2.3kg of some of the nicest abrasive I’ve ever seen. It can go 1200DMT to 8k+ synthetic edge quality faster than a series of synthetics would.

The bad is they were mined underwater so they’re inherently not the most stable stone and are prone to crumbling apart if left wet too long or strained. They come in THICK chunks very nicely sealed and paper wrapped from the mine to try and help out as much as possible.

Attachments

• E0B5D888-9DB8-407B-9E29-65E93F915030.jpeg
    E0B5D888-9DB8-407B-9E29-65E93F915030.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • 94703733-5C21-4801-9143-FF3CE29436BB.jpeg
    94703733-5C21-4801-9143-FF3CE29436BB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Top Bottom