What's new

Recommendations for first badger brush

Another vote for Stirling finest. I’ve got a 26mm and it’s the most luxurious brush I’ve owned. Although I haven’t purchased any of the high dollar ones either. Got it on sale for $30 as the frequently sell for.

E9AFA1E1-993C-4CB8-B829-AE2EB75C23FA.jpeg Thanks for
What synthetic are you currently using?
An Omega synthetic as in the picture

Thanks for all your replies. I’ll now be monitoring the BST forum while continuing my search for my first badger.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have been wet shaving for just over a year and always with the synthetic brush that came with my DE starter kit. Keep hearing that a badger brush is the way forward. Having never used one curiosity is getting the better of me. I’m hoping you guys can provide some sort of insight into what would be a good badger brush for a newbie.

Yaqi 24mm Silvertip.

I just noticed the above link is for the fan shape knot. They have a bulb shape knot too.

I'm completely happy with mine. Its very soft, but has quite a bit of backbone. Its a very dense knot too.

As new.
IMG_2383.jpg

Bloomed.
IMG_2399.jpg

The knot.
IMG_2405.jpg IMG_2406.jpg IMG_2402.jpg

I have no need of a 'better' badger brush, but honestly I rarely use it. I prefer my Maggard 22mm synthetic thats also made by Yaqi.

IMG_2999.jpg IMG_2998.jpg

I believe Stirling brushes are also made by Yaqi.

If by chance with a badger brush you dont like the bloomed look, after its well shaken out drop it inside a toilet paper roll and it will dry in the as new shape again.

Yaqi 24mm Silvertip.

I just noticed the above link is for the fan shape knot. They have a bulb shape knot too.

I'm completely happy with mine. Its very soft, but has quite a bit of backbone. Its a very dense knot too.

View attachment 958654

I believe Stirling brushes are also made by Yaqi.

If by chance with a badger brush you dont like the bloomed look, after its well shaken out drop it inside a toilet paper roll and it will dry in the as new shape again.

Just curious. Is that synthetic wet or dry? Because if it's dry, it looks like it has taken some beating.

Bloom also gets more accentuated when leaving the brush drying with the knot upwards. Gravity...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Just curious. Is that synthetic wet or dry? Because if it's dry, it looks like it has taken some beating.

Its dry. I think you're seeing the colour change in the length of the fibers. When its wet, the fibers clump together like below.

IMG_2469.jpg

I've been using that brush since Feb. last year for virtually every shave and it still looks the same as the day I got it. Fantastic brush for $10.

I would have saved time and money if I had just purchased a used Simpsons Duke 3 best near to the start.

+1 the recommendation for a Duke in Best...it's a marvellously dense, scrubby brush, but not as crazy dense (or expensive) as the Chubby, so it's more versatile. Also, there's just something magical about Simpson's Best, at least to me...it's a wonderful hair, and it's really the reason I'm such a Simpson-phile.

Yesterday I used - link to the shave report and my endless thread which discusses brushes, etc. ad nauseam - this very soft silvertip from Vig Shaving. It's not my favorite badger but it's very, very soft and it's also fun to use and quite functional.

Jim, I like that handle that the Vig is set into. Where is it from?

The Stirling knots look fantastic, indeed. And so is their price. They seem to be the best value, so far.
I too like Simpson's best. They have just the perfect scrub and they hold up pretty good.

Its dry. I think you're seeing the colour change in the length of the fibers. When its wet, the fibers clump together like below.

View attachment 958673

I've been using that brush since Feb. last year for virtually every shave and it still looks the same as the day I got it. Fantastic brush for $10.

Oh i see. Different manufacturing i guess. My Yaqi plissofts look different, both dry and wet. That's why i was curious.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have been wet shaving for just over a year and always with the synthetic brush that came with my DE starter kit. Keep hearing that a badger brush is the way forward. Having never used one curiosity is getting the better of me. I’m hoping you guys can provide some sort of insight into what would be a good badger brush for a newbie.
All comments gratefully received

I would disagree with a couple of your premises:

1. There is no "forward" in terms of brush hair. People use synthetic, boar, badger and horse. There is no pecking order - just preference.

2. There are no "newbie" brushes. There are cheap brushes, bang for your buck brushes and high quality brushes. How big of a collection do you want before you find what you like? Do you want a brush you'll use for years or do you want to dip your toe into the water for as little money as possible?

Being a man of my social standing, I have no horse hair brushes.:001_unsur But I have a representative sampling of the other three. Here's some of the information you want to provide if you're shopping for a brush:

Face lather or bowl lather?
Like small brush or large?
Like face friendly tips or scratch a layer of skin off tips?
Like lots of backbone or floppy?
Price range and how hard the cap might be (I'm looking to spend $40-$60, but definitely not over $75).

As a rule, synthetics have very soft tips.

A great badger is waaaaay more expensive than a great boar.

If you face lather and like some backbone with soft tips the SOC 2 band badger is a great value. If you bowl lather I would suggest you hold off on the badger for now and get the SOC boar.

Curiosity. Yes, I'm familiar with that - it's cost me a lot of money here.

Good luck.

We could be more helpful if you could summarize your current preferences (knot size, loft, handle type, etc.) Also, a budget would help.

+1

Also, what do you like about your current synthetic brush and what don't you like. If you got a really good synthetic brush in your starter kit, its performance may rival some badger brushes. If you got a poor synthetic, then nearly any badger will be an improvement.

Describe what you are looking for:
Splay- how big the knot become once pressed against your face
Softness/scrub/scritch- do you want bristles that feel like cotton candy or a scrub brush
Backbone- do you want the brush to be floppy or somewhat stiff. If you mainly use creams, a floppy brush works well, but if you like hard soap pucks, you need a stiffer brush.

These are all good questions to consider when picking out a brush. Don't think we're ganging up on you. Quite the opposite, we want to help, but need you to identify more characteristics you are looking for, & how you will use it. It's not just a matter of everyone who wants a brush in x price range is going to obviously like x brush. This is a fun pastime we're in, enjoy the journey!

These are all good questions to consider when picking out a brush. Don't think we're ganging up on you. Quite the opposite, we want to help, but need you to identify more characteristics you are looking for, & how you will use it. It's not just a matter of everyone who wants a brush in x price range is going to obviously like x brush. This is a fun pastime we're in, enjoy the journey!
Ok I lather in a bowl and would like a brush that is softer rather than scratchy on the skin. I would also like a brush that will last me for a good few years. I did mention earlier what my budget is. Hope this answers your question

If you take good care of a brush, any high quality brush should last for several years. I have a boar brush that I purchased about 35 years ago, but it was not used every day. The lacquer peeled off the wood handle, but the knot is still in great shape. It is WELL broken in and as soft as my most expensive badgers.

I am not sure what is available in the UK for 50 Pounds Sterling, but you should be able to purchase a decent two-band finest or silvertip badger for around that price. You did not state the knot diameter you are looking for. I like bigger brushes with 24-26mm knots, but some folks like smaller knots 20-22 mm. It is a matter of personal preference.

For your first badger brush, I would go in the middle of sizes & suggest a 24mm knot. Silvertip & Manchurian White are going to be a nice soft brush. Perhaps you can get a nicer brush shopping on the BST section of B & B. I've purchased some excellent brushes used on BST for much less than what they are new. Brands to consider are Rooney, Simpson, Thater, Shavemac, among others.

Top Bottom