What's new

Anyone have experience with S&W 617

I’d like to hear from folks who have experience with S&W 617.

I’ve been wanting one for a while. Saved a ton on taxes this year - so I’m ready to spend money. I will definitely shoot one before I decide to buy.

I already have a Browning buck mark and Ruger Mk IV. Looking to add a revolver.

Like to hear the good, the bad, the ugly from some 617 owners.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
No 617 but lots of experience with my K22 M17 and it was perhaps the most accurate revolver I ever shot, even more accurate than my M41.

Like the previous post, no experience here with a 617, but I have a K 22 from the late 60's. It is six shots and no full barrel underlug, so probably a bit lighter it weight, and probably one of the most accurate 22 handguns made. I also have a M41 target auto, and mine are comparable in accuracy. The ten shot cylinder would be nice.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Like the previous post, no experience here with a 617, but I have a K 22 from the late 60's. It is six shots and no full barrel underlug, so probably a bit lighter it weight, and probably one of the most accurate 22 handguns made. I also have a M41 target auto, and mine are comparable in accuracy. The ten shot cylinder would be nice.

Typical El Stupido, I sold both my K22 and my M41 back in the 60s when I got married. Shudda kept the Smiths and sold the girlfriend.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Another K 22 owner here. Fine gun. I'm sure there would be little to disappoint in the 617. Previous owner of my gun had let it get wet and had only minor surface rusting. Owner's wife inherited it and didn't want it. I got it for the cost of a S&W factory re-blue job. The gun had been shot very little before I got it.

I got a 617 new ten or so years ago, or right after the safety lock thing became standard. Bottom line up front: It's been a solid and fun gun and I can't think of any "ugly" to mention.

Also had a few Buckmarks prior. I shot the Buckmarks better but that's strictly due to personal variables. Foremost being training apathy with the 617 and revolvers in general. :D The gun itself has been inherently accurate and a pleasure for static range plinking. It was great fun for a few small game seasons too. The frame and barrel weight are nice and took a little getting used to after shooting just Buckmarks prior. Mainly due to the different weight distro. and grip differences as you'd expect. Mine's got some load preferences but I can't recall what exactly.

The sight radius is great. It's wearing a Leupold Deltapoint right now, but I'll be putting the rear irons back on next time I get it out.

Action-wise it's been typical for my experience with Smith revolvers. Good fit and finish overall. A little tight and gritty out of the box, but smoothed out nice after a while. It's round count is probably only 2-3,000. Haven't had a need to polish, change, or fix anything since purchase.

Let me know if you want anymore info. and I'll dig it out of the safe.

K22s and M41s... Those are neat and classics!

Last edited:
I got a 617 new ten or so years ago, or right after the safety lock thing became standard.

Your 617 has the internal lock - correct?

Does the lock negatively affect the trigger?

I see a few older ones that don’t have the lock.

I’m leaning toward 4” barrel. But I’d like the sight length on 6”

Which barrel do you have?

Thank you,
Rex

Your 617 has the internal lock - correct?
Yes.

Does the lock negatively affect the trigger?

Never detected interference, and the only times I've used the lock was to test for it. In fact I just rediscovered that a "locked" tab pops up. Around the time I got it there were articles/web posts reporting lock issues. I don't remember the story or resolution but haven't experienced it. It's a quarter turn with fairly definitive clicks on either end. If it's not rotated fully to "unlocked" the trigger stays locked. I leave it unlocked and forget about it. Lock/key photo attached. Two handcuff looking keys came with it.

I see a few older ones that don’t have the lock.
Yeah I looked for used too to avoid the lock. Used prices were about the same as new then due to scarcity, so bought new. Got a decent (damn they're still expensive though!) price on a 6 shot since the 10s were rolling out.

I’m leaning toward 4” barrel. But I’d like the sight length on 6” Which barrel do you have?
6" mainly for the sight radius. No regrets but in hindsight I'd have probably liked the 4" just as much. I'd suggest handling both if you can.

Thank you,
Rex

More: Just tested the single action pull. Avg. 4.5" lbs. on my cheap pull gauge. Zero creep, clean break.

Attachments

• IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Thank you for the feedback.

I really value solid shooter experience.

You’re about prices - the old ones are still just a high a new one.

My range has a 617 at the rental counter. I’ll go give it a try.

Thank you,
Rex

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Just keep in mind that a rental gun has probably been shot a lot and its action will probably be a bit smoother than one new out of the box, but I've never seen a bad action on a new S&W anyways.

I have an early 90s six shot version. Action was tuned but a now retired competition gunsmith and it shoots like a hand held rifle. If it was a 10 shot cylinder it would be perfect.

Sounds like everyone only has positive things to say about the K 22. Personally I have never know anyone who has or has had one to say anything bad about the firearm.

Top Bottom