What's new

Razors over 100g - too heavy?

What weight do you like in your DE razors?

• I prefer under 80g

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I like a weight around 80-100g

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I'm fine with over 100g

Votes: 32 40.0%

• Total voters
Do you like your DE razors on the lighter side, up to 80g? Or between 80-100g? Or are you still OK with weights over 100g, which would include a number of high end stainless, brass or copper razors?

If you like your razors under 100g, would you fit a lighter aftermarket handle, e.g. titanium, if the handle that came with the razor was too heavy?

And conversely, if you have a vintage razor with a lighter handle would you fit a longer/heavier handle to take the weight up to 80-100g?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Balance point is more important to me than weight, and putting a light handle on a heavy head, or heavy handle on a light head, may do more harm than good for me. For example, the balance point on my birth year Super Slim Twist is too high, which is why I'll be making a custom handle for it.

Aside from that, my Edwin Jagger DE3D14 is about the ideal weight for me, and I believe that is around 66g. So under 80g, with a balance point between index and middle finger.

Depends, I have a Timeless that's quite heavy, but is enjoyable to shave with for example, the Gillette Big Fellow and Tradere are also nice shaves. More towards balance and ease of use I'd say at least for me. I also find with a heavier razor, I let the weight do most of the work.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I must admit I prefer heavier razors. I enjoy using my Gillette Slims and my Fatboy. I have a gold Merkur adjustable that I enjoy the weight of but I find it hard to use mainly due to the shape of the razor. I’m not up to speed on the high end razors as I am a vintage man myself.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The razor I've used every day I'm home for quite a few years now is 122g. Obviously I love it. I will say I had to lighten my pressure (which I already though was light enough) which has really turned out to be a very good thing in the long run.

I lean towards a heavy razor. I find that with a lighter razor, I tend to apply too much pressure. Using something on the heavier side, I tend to just let the weight of the razor do the work, as it should.

Two of my razors are well under 80 grams, the other (likely) approaching 100 grams. I'd say the latter is my limit, nothing heavier. I'm more comfortable with the lighter razors in terms of maneuverability especially ATG.

In terms of high end razors, the weight quickly goes over 100g if the metal is solid brass, copper or stainless. Allow 35-40g for the head and then anything upwards from 62g for a Bulldog handle at 80mm, and there's your 100g already. Examples:
Blackbird, brass, 104g
Karve 3.5" handle, 110g
Raw RS-10, 110g
Timeless .95 OC with H1 handle 112g
Charcoal Goods, Torpedo handle 115g
Seygus Zeppelin 115g
Pils 115g
ATT Windsor, Calypso handle, 116g
Timeless Bronze 129g
Rocnel Elite 140g
Hone Type 15 brass, 165g

Users of these high end razors tend to say "no pressure and let the weight do the work". But with a 40g head I prefer a titanium handle around 53g which puts the total weight at 93g. I'm looking at the data in the responses to see if others feel the same. The thing is that these high end razors often don't come with a stainless head + titanium handle option. Stainless and brass handles don't have to be heavy if they're hollow, but that's rarely the case either.

My two razors in use are mixed in heaviness, Timeless Bronze .38 and Schone. I do not have any issues switching, regarding weight or balance, which vary greatly between the two. From my own point of view, I find balance to be a completely non-important issue due to the minor weight distribution differences. Fingers hold, wrist position and arm moves, every bit of weight applied through fingers is leverage against wrist and arm, which are extremely strong relative to the forces at issue.

My collection has a wide range of weights. I want to experience them as designed. I'm pretty good as being able to use anything you put in my hands these days

+1
Let the weight of the head do the shaving and a short handle gives you optimum control minimising chances of nicks and cuts especially if using an aggressive OC head. The Italian designers of the Fatip got it right until they recently introduced a longer handled version of the same razor IMHO

+1
Let the weight of the head do the shaving and a short handle gives you optimum control minimising chances of nicks and cuts especially if using an aggressive OC head. The Italian designers of the Fatip got it right until they recently introduced a longer handled version of the same razor IMHO

The Retro? My favourite Fatip handle. I find the Piccolo/Grande handles too short/light.

The Retro? My favourite Fatip handle. I find the Piccolo/Grande handles too short/light.

Longer handles like the Retro (58g) are nice when you transition from big light cartridge razors. You palm the DE handle like a stick and further down from balance point, which makes shaving less aggressive.

You hold a Piccolo (70g) pinched with your fingers at balance point - most efficient and technique demanding arrangement.

The Grande (66g) is in the middle, like a Piccolo with a third support wheel. Thicker handle, fingers at balance point, and handle resting on pinkie to ease off pressure from the head.

I hate heavy razors, they fatigue my hand/arm during head shaves. In general I think the lighter the razor the better the overall control over the razor.

Doesn't much matter for my beard but prefer less heavy for my head shave and am pretty finicky about balance. If every razor came in at 85g I'd be perfectly happy with that.

M

member 119848

I have been using my (16g) bakelite razor for 2 years now. The lack of weight makes it so nimble, it´s great for control. It took me time to appreciate the lack of weight, but once I got used to it I loved it.
I also have a razor that is on the opposite side of spectrum, with a weight of 130g, and I really love it too!

I try to keep my razors under 90 grams, but I exceed that threshold on occasion. Generally I like lighter razors. If I think a razor is too heavy, I just won't buy it rather than switching out handles.

eric.

Top Bottom