What's new

Electric Razor? Someone with experience?

Hi,

some one have some experience with electric razor? They give a better or worse experience respect to a gillette proglide or a DE?

Thanks a lot

I went from carts to electric then to DE and straight razors. I get a closer shave with out ingrown hairs (only twice in two years, it used to be frequent). I also save money over buying replacement blades for the electric but I tend to be good at not buying a lot of razors.

I went from electric to DE. I hated having the buzzing noise of the shaver in my ears and found that I started my morning off a bit grumpy because of it. I also found that it contributed to dryness and my skin needed moisturising just to feel the same as it did before the shave. And finally, a DE is definitely closer for me and a better skin result with the use of a good soap (MWF in my case).

The only plus that I can remember is that it was easier to go ATG with the electric. If I remember correctly an ATG pass with the electric was equivalent to the XTGs I get now with a DE but not as close as a DE ATG. And this was with a relatively high-end Panasonic shaver.

No regrets moving on to DE

It does take some time to perfect your shaving technique with a de razor as it's not quite as brainless as an electric razor.
I get way closer, much more comfortable shaves from a de razor than I ever did and with an electric.

I tried an electric on and off for a bit but just couldn’t get with it. I don’t know if my hair type is a factor (likely) but all it seemed to do was just pull my whiskers out or snap them off because it was super rough and nowhere near close.

Interestingly enough my brother has a thin(ish) patchy, light colored beard and an electric served him well for many years.

One thing to consider is that electric razors are not immortal. They have parts that need to be replaced on a regular basis. Some models sooner than others, and you are at the mercy of the manufacturer to continue supporting that model.
I started with a Super 109 in the '70s, and after that I owned two Braun electrics.
The NiCad batteries in the first one stopped taking a charge.
I gave up on the second one two years after I bought it because the replacement foils were no longer available for a price less than a new razor. So no more electrics for me. :thumbdown
Then I went to Gillette "Good News Plus" disposables for a few decades (half the time just to edge a beard), before going back to DEs in 2016. (And, more recently, injectors,)

I wish I could find that Super 109 now. :detective:

Last edited:
My first razor was electric, gave me lots of irritation on my neck and the sides of my mouth. Tried the oils etc, nothing helped, moved on to the Atra and used carts until discovering DE 7 years ago. Still have my 1987 Norelco, still a great trimmer or for those times in the past when I nicked myself and needed something to clear the hair until I healed.

My dad gave me that Norelco as a Christmas present as my first razor. He used them the rest of his life after DE disappeared largely in the late 80s. He hated carts and thought they were too expensive. He originally had a Super Speed and a Fatboy.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Hi,

some one have some experience with electric razor? They give a better or worse experience respect to a gillette proglide or a DE?

Thanks a lot

An electric shaver is much faster than a DE razor. With one I had an easy experience.

An electric shaver is much faster than a DE razor. With one I had an easy experience.

I guess it would depend on how technology has changed with them. I haven’t tried a modern one to offer an opinion but remember the Norelco was not fast at all and actually remember it taking longer than a DE shave for those few times I didn’t have a cart available.

Lots of ways to trim down a DE shave. Give me a Game Changer or a pre-war Tech and I’ll have BBS in 3 minutes. Hot water, hand lather, WTG and XTG after each other without another lather and a second quick hand lather, then ATG. Do it all the time when I’m in a hurry.

Went from electric for many years, to a brief cart period as I got into traditional shaving, and lastly I’ve arrived at DE/SE/shavette/SRs and I don’t plan on reverting back down the chain, ever.

Electrics are very convenient and fast, but the enjoyment and face feel that comes from traditional shaving is far superior.

Couple of different mainstream types of electric - foil or rotary. Both can give you a clean, close shave, not as close as a DE; a foil will shave closer than a rotary. Both can give you an irritation-free shave, but require a period of adjustment for face and beard, just like with a DE. Both can be used with all the wet shaving software and hardware (wet/dry shavers). Both can cost as much or more than the top high-end DEs. Neither requires as much attention or practice to achieve a good, repeatable shave as a DE hence usually require less time.

You are unlikely to achieve a great (BBS) shave with an electric, and it won't last as long. An electric shave can be just as comfortable as with a DE. An electric shave doesn't require water (but is generally more comfortable with). Most modern electrics are rechargeable, and all require, well, electricity. Electric shavers will wear out (electronics-duh), and their batteries are not easily replaceable, lifespan usually 3-5 years, sometimes longer. They require more maintenance than a DE razor, and replacement heads can be expensive, but high end electrics usually have their own cleaning stations. If it matters, an electric with a cleaning station will occupy more real estate on your bathroom counter.

Which brings us to cost per shave, which can be substantially more expensive than with a DE because of the above - initial cost, replacement heads, cleaning solution, life cycle cost and electricity. Most advanced and capable modern electrics are basically from three companies: Braun, Philips Norelco (rotary) and Panasonic. I've gravitated between electric and blade for more than 50 years, and either will remove the beard from your face, more or less effectively. I prefer a DE, for many reasons, but basically a closer, more comfortable shave - for me, and I have time to enjoy it. But then I carry a 1911, so there's that. You just can't improve on John Browning. :001_smile When I worked, on the early morning treadmill of life, often an electric.

I’ve just come from 50 years electric. Using a wet/dry Panasonic with real lather is what got me interested in DE. For me, electric shaving was an annoying chore, but now DE is fun. But that’s just a very personal response.

Electric was not as close, and can leave irritation as well, but I got a good looking shave quickly and repeatably. @Scaramouche has the right of it.

I've shaved on and off for years with electrics. First ones were Sunbeam foil razors in the early 70's and then went to Norelco rotaries. I gave up on the rotaries after years of usage when they irritated my face no matter what I did and went to DE shaving.

All was good and then I went and bought a small battery Panasonic foil for traveling. That seemed to work real well for me and one thing lead to another and I caught a deal on a Panasonic Arc-4 and decided to try it.

This one has me back shaving with the electric. I have sensitive skin with a fairly heavy beard and I have to shave at least once every day and this electric is giving me a close shave with zero irritation.

I've been DE shaving in the shower for a while now. It always gave me a good shave and the excuse to have hot water running on my back a little longer. I tried the electric dry, with a little Lectric Shave first and I was happy... Then I tried it in the shower. I've been face lathering with Akro with the DE so I decided to try that. Soaped up my face, didn't bother with the brush and tried it. The electric kind of whips up it's own nice lather with the Akro and gives me a nice shave.

The DE is great for edging my beard and still has a place, but the electric is really nice.

I used electric for years. It was always a fast shave but they chewed my skin up and gave me razor burn on the neck almost daily. Both the rotary and foil types. They were never particularly close shaves either but acceptable.

I switched to DE shaving after having two braun's in a row suffer electrical failures. Having a 80$ electric razor turn into a paperweight in 6 months was the kickstart I needed to try a DE.

Something that occurs to me is that with an electric you could shave while driving, if you're that desparate.
If you don't have a mustache or beard to trim around then you don't need to look in a mirror. Just go by sound and feel.
If you do need a mirror, then just don't do it. :a53:

Might need a small vacuum to get the cut whiskers off the suit.

Last edited:
I used a Braun Series 7, a foil electric shaver, before getting into DE shaving the end of last year. It made getting a great shave easy and quick. Like mindlessly easy. No irritation unless you overapplied pressure (I did on my neck because trouble area), you'd know because the foil would get hot. Cleaning, it cleaned itself. Built like a tank, German overengineering as expected. The first day I had it, I dropped it onto the tile floor and not a single issue. It was 8 years old when I replaced it iirc and could have gone further. Even though it was still holding a charge, the Li-ion battery was starting to worry me. Unfortunately the screws were stripped which made accessing the battery difficult. I loved my electric razor and have no regrets with it.

The only reason I went to DE and SE shaving is I like the challenge, it doesn't make shaving feel like a chore.

Edit- Replacement foil heads were around 30 dollars and I replaced it every year. Though the manual said it could be used longer iirc.

Last edited by a moderator:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I used an electric for years - usually the top Braun model at the time. No where near as close as DE for me.

Years ago when I was working and still a productive part of society I sometimes used and electric (Xmas present Braun) when I travelled for work (also used a Trac II). I must admit that the electric gave a pretty darn good shave but it did require some skin stretching. My reluctant answer would be yes. Of course it would depend on having a very good electric.

I've used electric razor, cartridge (gillette fusion 5), disposables (Wilkinson Sword two blade, 12 pack for $0.97), and now DE razors.
The cartridge gave a relatively close shave, but I always had neck irritation with it. The disposables were about equally close, but cut down on the irritation somewhat. In comparison, the electric razor couldn't give even an acceptably close shave on my submandibular triangle and neck unless I kept going over the same places over and over and over again for several minutes, and I always had horrifically bad irritation. The DE gives a closer shave than any of the above, and now I don't have any irritation normally. The only one I would consider even using for travel other than the DE would be the leftover disposables I have, I wouldn't go back to my cartridge razor, and DEFINITELY NOT the electric razor. YMMV, but honestly, the electric razor gave me just horrifically bad shaves.

Top Bottom