What's new

titanium safety razor

Anyone lucky (rich) enough to own a titanium razor? I mean the whole razor and not just the handle. Don't even know who makes them. I know Wolfman does and this new company Paradigm. Just wondering how it shaves and if there is a real advantage over stainless steel or aluminum. RR just announced they will be coming out with TI razors soon. No date, but price under $100.
Just got an email yesterday from Timeless and they just launched their new Titanium razor. Max it can cost is $310 if you load up on all the extras and add the Titanium stand. Looks good and I'm sure it shaves just as good as the SS which IMO probably is probably better than any other Titanium razor out there based on reviews I've read ( that would exclude the Wolfman as I've not seen any comparisons to theirs ) It weights less , so for some that may be a good thing and others for others who like more weight they would probably pass on it and stick to the SS. I was hoping they'd come out with one in brass or copper myself.

I LOVE my stainless Timeless razor-- partly because of the weight, but mostly because of the amazing shaves. I want their new TI razor, but I'm afraid I would just be admiring it on the shelf while continuing to use the stainless. I'll wait a bit to hear reviews before deciding.

Maybe I am weird but I would rather spend big money on a beautiful 60+year old rare razor than a modern razor just because it is made out of metal that it doesn't need to be made out of.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Maybe I am weird but I would rather spend big money on a beautiful 60+year old rare razor than a modern razor just because it is made out of metal that it doesn't need to be made out of.

What do you mean "just because it is made out of metal that it doesn't need to be made out of"?

Titanium has some definite pros and cons, but so does every other metal, including brass, copper, steel, zamak, etc. It just depends on what you're looking for. I think having the option to own a Ti razor if you so desire is a good thing.

What do you mean "just because it is made out of metal that it doesn't need to be made out of"?

Titanium has some definite pros and cons, but so does every other metal, including brass, copper, steel, zamak, etc. It just depends on what you're looking for. I think having the option to own a Ti razor if you so desire is a good thing.
I guess. Like others have said it is more of a marketing thing. Does a Ti version of a razor shave any different than another metal counterpart?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Just wanted to chime in here what with all the buzz about Titanium. I just happen to make medical devices from Titanium for a living.
All of our operating-room cameras are made from Titanium bodies. At a thickness of less than .040" aluminum is not strong enough. We did make Titanium prisms for the cameras, but changed to anodized aluminum because of high machining costs. We tried 7075 aluminum first but the anodize came off in the autoclave, so we switched to 6065 aluminum. The prism is not in an environment that requires the strength of Ti. It is sealed inside a Ti body.

As stated above, anodized aluminum is a great material to make a razor from. Drop it and bye-bye. Maybe if it is Hard Anodized it might survive, but that would raise the cost significantly.

Drop a Ti razor, it might leave a mark on the floor.......
Titanium is as strong as steel with the weight of aluminum, but it does cost more to machine than SS.
If Razorock can sell a Ti De Razor for $100, that is a bargain.
Based on my experience machining Ti, the Timeless $325 version is still a fair price and will last a millennium!

Doug

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
So this is gonna sound dumb....doesn’t WCS have Ti handles for like $25 and heads for ~$8?

Or are they not true Ti?
Just checked their website,
Check out WCS Titanium Collection Razor Handles, Black.

This stainless-steel grooming requisite undergoes an anodizing process to create a virtually indestructible finish.
Hmmmm, doesn't pass the sniff test.

Just checked their website,
Check out WCS Titanium Collection Razor Handles, Black.

This stainless-steel grooming requisite undergoes an anodizing process to create a virtually indestructible finish.
Hmmmm, doesn't pass the sniff test.
I have to admit I thought the language was strange, but pretty much every other razor that's theirs, they call out the material like the mentor or mission as "zinc metal alloy".

The "titanium" handles and heads do have some ambiguity for sure.

I have to admit I thought the language was strange, but pretty much every other razor that's theirs, they call out the material like the mentor or mission as "zinc metal alloy".

The "titanium" handles and heads do have some ambiguity for sure.

It looks to mean faux Titanium finish. You know the look of heated titanium.

For example the real thing
proxy.php

It says right in the description they decided to name the "collection" titanium!! That is a dead give away they aren't titanium at all and to even have to question it beyond that is...well... Let's just say that they are SS according to the description but if one needs to ask multiple times here and then finally throws out all it will take is a message to WCS, then why not just send a message and not waste everyones time here!!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
They talk about the stainless steel anodizing process, not a titanium anodizing process.

It's like a platinum edition of a car. It's not made of platinum, it's just an upscale version of a car.
Except you can't anodize stainless steel. You passivate it. Complete different process.

Top Bottom