What's new

Finished two soaps this week...

So, I only always have 3 soaps in rotation. That way, I get some diversity and still finish soaps eventually. Plus, I don't want to start hoarding a bunch of soaps either so for me it works.

Tonight I finished the Razorock Tuscan Oud, which gave me 41 shaves (125ml or 4.2oz).
2 days ago I finished the Henry & Victoria Absinthe, which gave me 40 shaves (150 mL or 5oz).

I found it interesting that the HV was a bigger soap and yet yielded basically the same number of shaves. It is a bit softer but not by much (to the touch at least).

Both were fine soaps but the HV is a bit better: slicker and thicker lather ime.

For the record: I use a RR plissoft brush and load on the heavy side (I don't count swrils or time...). I usually have enough lather for 3 to 4 passes...

I thought some of you might like these stats...cheers!

I've been wet shaving for about 2.5 years or so. I have about 30 soaps and haven't
finished any of them, hopefully I can do a sort of buying sabbatical

So, I only always have 3 soaps in rotation. That way, I get some diversity and still finish soaps eventually. Plus, I don't want to start hoarding a bunch of soaps either so for me it works.

Tonight I finished the Razorock Tuscan Oud, which gave me 41 shaves (125ml or 4.2oz).
2 days ago I finished the Henry & Victoria Absinthe, which gave me 40 shaves (150 mL or 5oz).

I found it interesting that the HV was a bigger soap and yet yielded basically the same number of shaves. It is a bit softer but not by much (to the touch at least).

Both were fine soaps but the HV is a bit better: slicker and thicker lather ime.

For the record: I use a RR plissoft brush and load on the heavy side (I don't count swrils or time...). I usually have enough lather for 3 to 4 passes...

I thought some of you might like these stats...cheers!

CONGRATULATIONS!! :a14::a14:

What soaps are you starting next??

Ditto!
Just finished Stirling Barbershop on Thursday and Captain’s Choice Bay Rum this morning.
I like Bay Rum!
Up next is Ogalla Bay Rum with Orange and “da’ Fat” is on it’s way.

Like Racquet said above, I never seem to finish any soaps! I have about 14 soaps in use, but while I've never kept track, I'm sure I get a lot more than 40 shaves/soap. I'm close to finishing a tub of Dapper Dragon Terre du Dragon. There's just some gooey soap left around the perimeter, but that's been going on now for about a week. I'm really tempted to just toss it so I can finally finish a soap, but it's still giving me great shaves. Normally I don't use the same soap for more than a day or two, but I have steeled myself to use this one until it's gone.

I am hoping to finish a soap or two this year it's a goal I have set myself, then I can buy some new ones.

The only ones I have finished are samples. I do keep buying because I would hate to have more room in the closet.

CONGRATULATIONS!! :a14::a14:

What soaps are you starting next??

Wow, two in one week! I don't remember the last time I finished a soap. What's next for you?

Well, first i’m finishing the third of this rotation, a RR tobacco. Then I’m thinking of going with HV Nautilus, RR essenial oil of lime and RR Alchemy. These are subject to change though.

I love testing, using, and smelling new soaps. I purchase a couple of new ones every month. My collection is now approaching 100. I am not sure I will ever live long enough to use up anything larger than a sample. I get great pleasure from shaving with a great soap with a great scent. Just cracking open the tub and smelling it is fun as well. I know some folks use the same soap for every shave, but I would find that depressing.

Like Racquet said above, I never seem to finish any soaps! I have about 14 soaps in use, but while I've never kept track, I'm sure I get a lot more than 40 shaves/soap. I'm close to finishing a tub of Dapper Dragon Terre du Dragon. There's just some gooey soap left around the perimeter, but that's been going on now for about a week. I'm really tempted to just toss it so I can finally finish a soap, but it's still giving me great shaves. Normally I don't use the same soap for more than a day or two, but I have steeled myself to use this one until it's gone.
Try to count eventually just for fun. 40 shaves is a LOT, you might be surprised. But again, I load a good bit too, great lather everytime and soap is cheap and plentiful.

Try to count eventually just for fun. 40 shaves is a LOT, you might be surprised. But again, I load a good bit too, great lather everytime and soap is cheap and plentiful.
You could be right, but I shave every day, and it doesn’t seem to me as if I’d use up a soap from start to finish in under 1.5 months. It would be hard for me to test it because I like to change soaps every day or two. I get bored using the same soap day after day.

You could be right, but I shave every day, and it doesn’t seem to me as if I’d use up a soap from start to finish in under 1.5 months. It would be hard for me to test it because I like to change soaps every day or two. I get bored using the same soap day after day.
As long as you’re enjoying it, it’s all that matters.

I have been at it for 2 years and finally finished my first soap yesterday - DG Gratiot League Square which I have replaced with a new tub of the same. This is my favorite winter soap by far....

Most shaving soap vendors state that you can get approximately 80-90 shaves from a tub or puck. So even if you shave every day, one soap should last 2.5 - 3 months. However, my practice is to load enough soap for a four-pass shave, even if I only do three passes. If I get only two months out of a soap, I still have enough to last for about 15 years. That assumes I never purchase another soap, which is most unlikely as I love trying new formulas and scents.

Most shaving soap vendors state that you can get approximately 80-90 shaves from a tub or puck. So even if you shave every day, one soap should last 2.5 - 3 months. However, my practice is to load enough soap for a four-pass shave, even if I only do three passes. If I get only two months out of a soap, I still have enough to last for about 15 years. That assumes I never purchase another soap, which is most unlikely as I love trying new formulas and scents.
The 80-90 sounds about right to me.

Top Bottom