What's new

Alliance of Merkur

Merkur Progress (2.5) / Voskhod #8.
View attachment 843381
I know YMMV, but Voskhod were okay for me in my Progress, but my best shaves so far with it have been with Ascos. Odd but true. They might be my favorite blade so far, beating Personna reds, and it's a toss up between them and Astra SPs, at least in the Progress. I have to try my 7 O'clock greens in it next.

I know YMMV, but Voskhod were okay for me in my Progress, but my best shaves so far with it have been with Ascos. Odd but true. They might be my favorite blade so far, beating Personna reds, and it's a toss up between them and Astra SPs, at least in the Progress. I have to try my 7 O'clock greens in it next.
Whaaaaaat? Ascos?

I dig Merkurs, I'm joining.
I own a 34 HD.
It is my daily razor.
IMG_1623.JPG

Whaaaaaat? Ascos?
Yup, the orange wrapped blade from the Lord factory is, so far, the blade that works best for me. Yesterday was a great shave, for this time of year (cold, dry, etc) and I didn't shower before hand. Progress set on 3.5 and a brand new blade.

Yup, the orange wrapped blade from the Lord factory is, so far, the blade that works best for me. Yesterday was a great shave, for this time of year (cold, dry, etc) and I didn't shower before hand. Progress set on 3.5 and a brand new blade.
I will give them a go.

Now for a Merkur SOTD to get things going on this thread again...

First shave back home from Dad’s place so I decided to change up all the gear though, the extended run with the New LC was brilliant I must say. Reached for my Progress as opposed to the Mergress and went with the APShave Co. Silk Smoke. No bowl just straight face lather and after a 30 second load on the RazoRock American Barber, I had enough for 4 passes easy. 3 passes and BBS. Great way to start the first day back in the office.

Rating: 4.5 / 5

Razor: Merkur Progress 500
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux
Brush: APShave Co. 24mm Silk Smoke
Lather: RazoRock American Barber
Aftershave: RazoRock American Barber
Additional Care:
Guerlain Homme L’eau Boisee

SOTD 01/23/2019

Just ordered another 34G today. I read another thread where newer 34's are showing up with a top plate screw that is cast as part of the head. It has a flat side along the threaded portion as well as a seam on it from the molding process and the finish is not particularly smooth. The 34G I already own was ordered in 2017 and is more than likely from the line after the Merkur re-tool as the finish is excellent compared to the 2013 era. I'm hoping that the one I just ordered (from the same vendor) is still from the same stock as my current one does not have the molded stem or flat side/seams along the threads. I'm betting the vendor doesn't move a ton of gold 34's compared to orders for the regular chrome plated version and I'll get one like the one I have (fingers crossed). I'll know in a week. I apply a coat of "Renaissance Wax" on my new razors and re-apply and maintain it frequently as soap (detergent) tends to strip it, but I feel it helps repel water from areas like the joint where the screw is attached to the top cap. I want these babies to last as long as they can.

Yes.
I have this model.
I don't have any complaints with it.
I am now getting consistent, smooth, and irritation free shaves.
I like it.

I dig Merkurs, I'm joining!

"All we ask is that you put "AOM" or "Alliance of Merkur" in your signature. "
I'd love to but can't can't seem to figure out how to put up a signature on this forum. I thought it would be under
my profile page but see no options available for this. HELP!

IMG_4883.jpg

24E9B882-5FF2-427A-8A1E-10419318D90D.jpeg

I know that I had mentioned earlier that I would be going on a run of Aristocrats but the Merkur 34G was calling my name. What a beautiful razor and when loaded up with a Kai, a formidable shaving machine. Some believe the 34 to be mild and somewhat it is but with a sharp blade ala Kai, Polsilver, Nacet etc, it mows down the beard with zero irritation. Today’s soap was Cella followed up with the matching balm. A lovely three pass BBS shave was achieved , no muss and no fuss. Weekend is almost upon us. Take care and happy shaves.

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Merkur 34G
Blade: Kai Super Stainless
Brush: Simpson 59
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Lotion
Lather: Cella
Aftershave: Cella Aftershave Balm
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

SOTD 03/14/2019

View attachment 962909
I know that I had mentioned earlier that I would be going on a run of Aristocrats but the Merkur 34G was calling my name. What a beautiful razor and when loaded up with a Kai, a formidable shaving machine. Some believe the 34 to be mild and somewhat it is but with a sharp blade ala Kai, Polsilver, Nacet etc, it mows down the beard with zero irritation. Today’s soap was Cella followed up with the matching balm. A lovely three pass BBS shave was achieved , no muss and no fuss. Weekend is almost upon us. Take care and happy shaves.

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Merkur 34G
Blade: Kai Super Stainless
Brush: Simpson 59
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Lotion
Lather: Cella
Aftershave: Cella Aftershave Balm
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

SOTD 03/14/2019

Beautiful! It's also something not many have. Good choice.

Beautiful! It's also something not many have. Good choice.
I am lucky enough to own a Progress 500, Mergress 500, 37C, 39C, 45 and of course the 34G. I love my Merkurs and wanted a gold one to be different. I would jump at a gold progress or mergress in a flat second! However, I have way more vintage Gillette in the collection.

Top Bottom