What's new

Frog morton cellar?

I think cellar does hav a topping of some kind, but I didnt find it to be overpowering at all; I have had the discussion with the pipe club that the only topping is a little “sweet whisky” which causes the smell and taste; I am not an aro guy at all, since the early days of piping for me (anyone want some Eileen’s dream?), and prefer a straight virginia or Latakia heavy blend (hence 10 Russians etc...), but I really like dipping into cellar every now and then - and the room note is so much more palatable for SWMBO (though I am never to smoke in the house!)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I think cellar does hav a topping of some kind, but I didnt find it to be overpowering at all; I have had the discussion with the pipe club that the only topping is a little “sweet whisky” which causes the smell and taste; I am not an aro guy at all, since the early days of piping for me (anyone want some Eileen’s dream?), and prefer a straight virginia or Latakia heavy blend (hence 10 Russians etc...), but I really like dipping into cellar every now and then - and the room note is so much more palatable for SWMBO (though I am never to smoke in the house!)
The wife doesn’t mind any of my pipe tobaccos, but I rarely smoke in the house. I have 5 and 8 year old grandchildren here, and I worry about how it might affect them.

always wanted to try it... then McClelland went out of business when I decided to order a tin or two...:117: sometimes life's a game.. and sometimes it plays you ;-)

I really loved Frog Morton Cellar. I have one tin of it left that one day I'll bust open, probably to celebrate a mark in time. My feelings were hurt most by not being able to get Wilderness or Legends any longer. I still have two cans of each but still getting over the shock of not being able to replenish my stock.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It’s interesting to me that while still in business McClelland was known for their Va’s, now that they are gone the Frog Morton line seems to be missed the most.

I've attempted on several occasions to get into straight Virginias but they never stick, I'm just not a fan, although, I did enjoy Blackwoods Flake quite a bit.

I always liked their English blends, oriental/VA blends and stoved VA, but mostly the English. My favorite was a special house blend made for a very old pipe shop in my college town that blew me away. It was a heavy English blend with plenty of Syrian Latakia and some great orientals with some stoved VA.

After 221b black shag my favorite was frog on a log. I stocked up pound after pound of that stuff. At this point I’m over 10lbs deep and still stacking when I can find the out of the way tin.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I always liked their English blends, oriental/VA blends and stoved VA, but mostly the English. My favorite was a special house blend made for a very old pipe shop in my college town that blew me away. It was a heavy English blend with plenty of Syrian Latakia and some great orientals with some stoved VA.

After 221b black shag my favorite was frog on a log. I stocked up pound after pound of that stuff. At this point I’m over 10lbs deep and still stacking when I can find the out of the way tin.

Daaang 10 pounds! I would love to see a pic of that!

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I tend to prefer my whiskey and my tobacco from separate sources, but I must admit that I liked FMC. On the Town was the real deal, too.

I tend to prefer my whiskey and my tobacco from separate sources, but I must admit that I liked FMC. On the Town was the real deal, too.

I have one tin of OTT left and I'm saving it for a special occasion. The Frogs were gone before I realized they were in danger. I would have bought a closet full if I had been paying attention.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have about a pound each of FMC and FMOTT, and at least one can each of the other Frog Morton varieties. Not nearly enough, but will have to do. If I came across some at a reasonable price I'd buy it, but I won't go out of my way or pay exorbitant prices to get more.

Top Bottom