What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
YES, but hopefully not to that extreme. I do enjoy that movie though, Anything Anthony Hopkins can be creepy in is great!

Benicio had just finished 7 days straight with an R41. Then whent to cower in a dark safe place without changing his shirt lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Speaking of seven day sets...

proxy.php

It's a set, but you can purchase just one or two or all seven..., oops, now you can't because Monday, Tuesday, and Friday are sold out.

Link if you want a Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday set.

I was fixing to pull the trigger until I noticed the set was incomplete and the razors are only 5/8". Oh, well, not a big deal.

Yeah, it would have only been $1925.00. I'm sure my wife would be fine with that.

Grab 'em while they're hot, gentlemen.

Here's another one.

upload_2019-2-21_14-57-12.png

Unfortunately, they're half hollow. Not what I want.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yeah, I know it sounds crazy. There is nothing I could find that I don't already have in my collection. I've been pretty strategic...found some excellent examples in superb condition.

What's on your hunt list?
Birth year razor. My to STR8s, Gem 1912, and New LC is all I need.

Planning on PIF'ing my Slim and Maggard Slant Head, will offer at the get together, then if still have make a newbie PIF.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yeah, I know it sounds crazy. There is nothing I could find that I don't already have in my collection. I've been pretty strategic...found some excellent examples in superb condition.

What's on your hunt list?

Not much really.

I'm more thinking about what to get rid of.

On the other hand, I have items in transit, so there's that.
  • A brush handle, given to me by a member. I'll talk about it later, but it will require me to learn how to put a knot in a handle, set the loft, etc. Also I'll have to decide on a knot - boar or badger - and purchase one.
  • Two razors I purchased at auction tonight. Both straights. Not as inexpensive as some I've acquired but still very reasonable.
  • Three straight razors coming to me from a trade I made.
I know I want another seven razor roll like the one I got for Christmas. Maybe some stones (I have a few on my not right now wish list, but nothing extravagant). Scales for my two or three naked blades.

There are a couple of upscale straights I might get way down the road, but not until I feel like I have learned a lot more about them, and not until I can afford them.

I love my Zenith brushes and can see perhaps acquiring more. Another Manchurian? Maybe a silvertip? Maybe a horse? I have not tried a horse.

However, all of that said I don't need anything, and see myself reducing the overall size of my den in the next year or so. Used to be I could look at any of my safety razors and immediately tell you what it is. Now I hardly look at any of them at all, and I haven't used a DE in recent memory. Why keep all that stuff?

Same with soaps and razor blades. I don't need all that I have. Why keep it?

I do not want an endless number of straights either, but I'm not through looking at them.

Maybe I'm becoming a minimalist?

Happy shaves,

Jim

I love my Zenith brushes and can see perhaps acquiring more. Another Manchurian? Maybe a silvertip? Maybe a horse? I have not tried a horse.

The silvertip is highly praised with only fly in the ointment being that Zenith don't overbleach the tips, so their badgers are not as white and soft as some of the upmarket stuff from UK and Germany.

I hear the extra soft horse knot is a hidden gem, however with horse brushes abuse (like vigorous face lathering) isn't an option. They tangle like nothing else. Ask anyone who has experience with horse grooming, their mane and tail require constant brushing to prevent tangling.

Maybe I'm becoming a minimalist?

Hoard > Sell > Hoard > Sell... it's the hobby yo-yo effect. You're in a good place. Relax, re-discover your kit.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
These are interesting, although a little more expensive than a vintage bargain.
Blades, individually: K-0002

A nice modern way to go which requires scale making and full honing.

It is very cool to see the new and naked blades and to see what's available.

I don't see myself going that route unless I wanted a razor with a blade I couldn't otherwise find in decent enough condition. I don't know the brands, but then again I know almost nothing about modern straight razors.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The silvertip is highly praised with only fly in the ointment being that Zenith don't overbleach the tips, so their badgers are not as white and soft as some of the upmarket stuff from UK and Germany.

I hear the extra soft horse knot is a hidden gem, however with horse brushes abuse (like vigorous face lathering) isn't an option. They tangle like nothing else. Ask anyone who has experience with horse grooming, their mane and tail require constant brushing to prevent tangling.

Thanks for the advice on the horse brushes. Probably they're not for me because I'm a vigorous face latherer. I knew about the tangling, but had forgotten about it, so this was a timely reminder.

I've not until recently even considered a Zenith silvertip. Most of the silvertips I own are not all that much to my liking compared to two bands and even more so compared to the Zenith Manchurians. However, I've recently read that some gentlemen have Zenith silvertips they say are more dense and have better backbone than their Zenith Manchurians. I find this hard to believe, but if they're even half right the Zenith silvertips (at least the models some guys have reviewed or discussed) would suit me.

MS.30mm.Old.New.ToiletPaperRoll.640.5-18.JPG

I do have a few silvertips I like a lot particularly these two (above). The density and scrub of these 30+ mm MS brushes is excellent and they're as soft as a cloud.
Hoard > Sell > Hoard > Sell... it's the hobby yo-yo effect. You're in a good place. Relax, re-discover your kit.

Nice advice. Yes, I am in a good place.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@Chan Eil Whiskers

Shave with that Thater till the knot falls off. :001_cool: You have plenty of Zeniths to play with already. I doubt their silvertips will be a breakthrough experience for you. It's just a fixation.

The Thater Two Band is gone. It was not to my liking. I made a very good trade I think.

Thater says not to use their brush with vigor and not for face lathering. I don't like being restricted like that (not that I was planning to be), but what convinced me to get rid of the brush was not the restrictions. I just didn't find it all that interesting a brush and was quickly convinced I wouldn't come to like it much over time. I wanted it in the hands of someone who would appreciate it and I was not that person.

I think the Thater is for bowl lathering and I think it does't suit me, but that's not me saying it's a bad brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I think the Thater is for bowl lathering and I think it does't suit me, but that's not me saying it's a bad brush.

Technically any vigorous face lathering is brush abuse. They are covering their arse for a good reason. Wirecutters manufacturers warn people not to use them as pliers and rip tin open. Are they right? Yes. Are they covering their arse? Yes. Will I keep abusing my wirecutters and try to ask warranty to cover their early demise? Yup! Will I bash the manufacturer/vendor if they don't oblige? Yes! This is why they are a pain to deal with even when you have genuine product failure like the Thater 'Premium' Boar you had.

Loading soap directly from packaging (designed only to store the soap); face lathering with scrubbing, swirling and splaying; piling on astringents on the skin after shaving; all are bad shaving habits. But people enjoy them and will persist with practicing them. Bad habits die hard.

I see now people using suribachi bowls as lathering bowls, because there is a myth about groves making better lather (they are for holding the soap in place and nothing else). They are literally scrubbing their brushes against a hard ceramic grinder and ruining the tips. Imitating group behavior comes stronger than common sense quite often. I wish I was immune to this, however...

Top Bottom