What's new

Omega S-brush, a different kind of animal.

The problem with the S-brush trying to imitate boars, is that 1) Boars aren't springy, 2) You press them and they splay, anywhere. The S-brush fails miserably in both these sectors and i wonder how many of those who
Bingo! The only people who think the S-Brush imitates a boar are badger users ;-) Any die-hard boar lover (like me) has no trouble discerning that they're very different.

Bingo! The only people who think the S-Brush imitates a boar are badger users ;-) Any die-hard boar lover (like me) has no trouble discerning that they're very different.

The thing is this. If you want a synthetic with boar like backbone, but also with "normal" behaviour and fantastic latherability, just get a tuxedo and your 're done. My Yaqi Sagrada 24mm comes with 1cm gluebump and it has more backbone that my S-brush. The difference, is that the tuxedo is miles better. I have 2 other Yaqi tuxed models, which i actually prefer, because although they also have boar like backbone, they are more balanced (my Sagrada has almost too much backbone for my taste, although with use it has kind of broken in).

You want more "badgery" behaviour? Buy a plissoft. There is nothing the S-brush has to offer, that tuxedos don't cover...

The thing is this. If you want a synthetic with boar like backbone, but also with "normal" behaviour and fantastic latherability, just get a tuxedo and your 're done. My Yaqi Sagrada 24mm comes with 1cm gluebump and it has more backbone that my S-brush. The difference, is that the tuxedo is miles better. I have 2 other Yaqi tuxed models, which i actually prefer, because although they also have boar like backbone, they are more balanced (my Sagrada has almost too much backbone for my taste, although with use it has kind of broken in).

You want more "badgery" behaviour? Buy a plissoft. There is nothing the S-brush has to offer, that tuxedos don't cover...
I have to admit that I've never tried a tuxedo, only about 16 synthetics. Of them, I found then S-brush most boar like. Do all the tuxedos come with a 1cm glue bump?

Leaning towards the 10019 and do more face lathering.
I prefer soaps and bowl lathering.

Good choice. You can get that at West Coast Shaving this week for only $7.99 and free shipping. It is a nice size also with a 24mm knot and a 52mm loft. You should like it. Don't miss that deal at WCS.

Good choice. You can get that at West Coast Shaving this week for only $7.99 and free shipping. It is a nice size also with a 24mm knot and a 52mm loft. You should like it. Don't miss that deal at WCS.
Good idea.
I hope it is not too springy or lack the flow through of my

Ha Ha Ha.
I just received a text from WCS.
My blades and shave stick were delivered.

I have an Omega S10065 Blue S Brush. It was thrown into a lot that I purchased on the BST forums. I primarily use it when I travel because it is so stiff that it slings soap like a garden sprinkler. Plus, I'm not too worried about mucking up a hotel sink. Now that I read that it is supposed to be a boar replacement, it's a little more understandable (but it's still too stiff).

I have an Omega S10065 Blue S Brush. It was thrown into a lot that I purchased on the BST forums. I primarily use it when I travel because it is so stiff that it slings soap like a garden sprinkler. Plus, I'm not too worried about mucking up a hotel sink. Now that I read that it is supposed to be a boar replacement, it's a little more understandable (but it's still too stiff).
Stiff? My S10018 is soft and flimsy and they should be the same dimension.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The problem with the S-brush trying to imitate boars, is that 1) Boars aren't springy, 2) You press them and they splay, anywhere. The S-brush fails miserably in both these sectors and i wonder how many of those who like them, 1) have tried newer generation synthetics and 2) face lather.

But, at the end, like all things in wetshaving, YMMV.
this was my experience as well. A walk of brush and uncomfortable to use. I so wanted to like it too but its not a big investment.

Face lathering by splaying a brush is wrong, for badger or boar regardless. Oval swirls with the tips of the brush and smacking, painting strokes is how it's done. That's how I remember barbers doing it - lather in a bowl, paint and massage the client's face gently to apply the lather. None of this splaying, scrubbing, 'exfoliating' stuff.

I'm guilty of copying bad habits from shaving videos from Youtube, but came to a realization they don't know diddly squat about anything, just enjoy constantly buying and trying new kit. I now enjoy watching them as entertainment and nothing else.

Hmmm.....
Does the S10019 do that?

You say face lathering, but you describe bowl lathering.

Big circles using the tips are OK, thus the recommendation to do large oval motions on the cheeks or use a bowl. Much less strain on the knot than small circular scrubby motions with a mashed brush.

Big circles using the tips are OK, thus the recommendation to do large oval motions on the cheeks or use a bowl. Much less strain on the knot than small circular scrubby motions with a mashed brush.

Ok. The remembering what barbers do seemed like a continuation of face lathering, but didn't jib.

I don't mash, but I do exfoliate. Exfoliate doesn't mean grinding your face with a brush though. :)
I don't tangle horse brushes when face lathering either.

Face lathering by splaying a brush is wrong, for badger or boar regardless
Wrong by who's definition? Yours?

I prefer splaying my boars and doing circles when I face lather, and have been enjoying it for over 4 decades. Nobody has the right to tell me or anyone else that what we're doing is wrong.

Top Bottom