What's new

Online cigar retailers

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I just purchased the Boveda 84% humidor seasoning packs to get my humidor going again. Takes roughly 2 weeks so now let’s focus on stocking it.

I have 1 cigar store I trust within driving distance. 1 hr away, in the town I work in. So easily can stop in after work. But, I think they are pretty high on their prices. I generally don’t mind supporting local businesses, but their prices are pretty darn high compared to what I can get online.

It’s been a long time since I’ve bought a cigar. Are the places like Cigar International, Thompson Cigar, Cigar .com, and JR Cigars still good places to get cigars?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have ordered online in the past but for the life of me I can’t remember from who. I think it was Cigar International.

I just purchased the Boveda 84% humidor seasoning packs to get my humidor going again. Takes roughly 2 weeks so now let’s focus on stocking it.

I have 1 cigar store I trust within driving distance. 1 hr away, in the town I work in. So easily can stop in after work. But, I think they are pretty high on their prices. I generally don’t mind supporting local businesses, but their prices are pretty darn high compared to what I can get online.

It’s been a long time since I’ve bought a cigar. Are the places like Cigar International, Thompson Cigar, Cigar .com, and JR Cigars still good places to get cigars?
Never had a problem with Cigars International. Bought from JR a couple times, and had no issues.

I've steered clear of Thompson - they seem to peddle a lot of knock-offs of questionable construction, as well as their own house brands. And if you buy from them once, you can rest assured that your mailbox (both the e- and snail varieties) will soon be stuffed with unsolicited ads and junk mail, both from Thompson and the companies they will sell your info to.

If you really want to live dangerously, cigarbid can be kind of addicting as well.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Get in their mailing list and wait for the sales. Hard to go wrong as long as you have an idea of the regular retail.

JR Cigars has always treated me well. One minor issue a year or so back that was quickly and easily resolved with a single email. I have gotten some really good deals on the auction part of their website.

Cigars International has been good for me and their auction site Cigar Bid is the source for nearly all my sticks. Pipes & Cigars, which I believe is also connected to CI, is good when they have a sale. I only buy from B&M when I'm away from home and without a choice. I don't mind paying extra to support a local shop, but paying more than double is more than I can afford.

Haha, I think you mean "Undercrown" shade.

And alpster, I say bull. I'm calling you on that claim.

Show me a link to a price that's less than $146.95 for a box of 25 Liga Undercrown Shade Gran Toros

Here's my link:
Liga Undercrown Shade Gran Toro Cigars In Stock Now | CigarPlace.biz

My autocorrect has struck again. LOL Can't link to my order because you must log in. Cut & paste from a couple different orders.

CigarBid
1911 Spillman Dr.
Dept #26
Bethlehem, PA 18015
(800) 830-4590
proxy.php

Confirmation #
CB020272876
Order Date
February 19, 2019
Bill To
Ronnie Van Huss
XXX Road
HOWELL, NJ 07731
XXXXXXXX
Ship To
Ronnie Van Huss
XXXXX Road
HOWELL, NJ 07731
Item Description
Qty B/O Ship Price Total
Drew Estate Factory Smokes Connecticut Pack of 25 1 0 1 $41.00 $41.00
Drew Estate Undercrown Shade Pack of 25 1 0 1 $99.50 $99.50

Box
Tracking # Date Shipped
1 1ZEW9678YW35953558 February 19, 2019
Sub-Total $140.50
Shipping Total $7.95
Sales Tax
$9.84
Order Total $158.29

CigarBid
1911 Spillman Dr.
Dept #26
Bethlehem, PA 18015
(800) 830-4590
proxy.php

Confirmation #
CB6157145
Order Date
March 07, 2017
Bill To
Ronnie Van Huss
XXXX Road
HOWELL, NJ 07731
XXXXXXXX
Ship To
Ronnie Van Huss
XXXX Road
HOWELL, NJ 07731
Item Description
Qty B/O Ship Price Total
Oliva Serie 'V' No. 4 Box of 24 1 0 0 $89.99 $89.99
Drew Estate Undercrown Shade Gran Toro Box of 25 1 0 0 $100.00 $100.00

Sub-Total $189.99
Shipping Total $7.45
Sales Tax
$0.00
Order Total $197.44

Last edited:
I've used Cigar International and their Cigar Bid for several years and have no problems. Same for JR and Famous. In my opinion one of the best features of Cigar Bid is the extensive variety of items you can bid on. A lot of 5 packs are available for bidding and it's an inexpensive way to try out new sticks.

My autocorrect has struck again. LOL Can't link to my order because you must log in. Cut & paste from a couple different orders.

CigarBid
1911 Spillman Dr.
Dept #26
Bethlehem, PA 18015
(800) 830-4590
proxy.php

Confirmation #
CB020272876
Order Date
February 19, 2019
Bill To
Ronnie Van Huss
XXX Road
HOWELL, NJ 07731
XXXXXXXX
Ship To
Ronnie Van Huss
XXXXX Road
HOWELL, NJ 07731
Item Description
Qty B/O Ship Price Total
Drew Estate Factory Smokes Connecticut Pack of 25 1 0 1 $41.00 $41.00
Drew Estate Undercrown Shade Pack of 25 1 0 1 $99.50 $99.50

Box
Tracking # Date Shipped
1 1ZEW9678YW35953558 February 19, 2019
Sub-Total $140.50
Shipping Total $7.95
Sales Tax
$9.84
Order Total $158.29

CigarBid
1911 Spillman Dr.
Dept #26
Bethlehem, PA 18015
(800) 830-4590
proxy.php

Confirmation #
CB6157145
Order Date
March 07, 2017
Bill To
Ronnie Van Huss
XXXX Road
HOWELL, NJ 07731
XXXXXXXX
Ship To
Ronnie Van Huss
XXXX Road
HOWELL, NJ 07731
Item Description
Qty B/O Ship Price Total
Oliva Serie 'V' No. 4 Box of 24 1 0 0 $89.99 $89.99
Drew Estate Undercrown Shade Gran Toro Box of 25 1 0 0 $100.00 $100.00

Sub-Total $189.99
Shipping Total $7.45
Sales Tax
$0.00
Order Total $197.44

Well if you said your savings was from an auction site I would not have responded with my challenge.

I was implying sites with better 24/7 fixed prices.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Well if you said your savings was from an auction site I would not have responded with my challenge.

I was implying sites with better 24/7 fixed prices.

The OP implied good prices, not a fixed price requisite. Sales at some of the common sites already mentioned will beat the prices of the site you linked as well.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Well I screwed up again! I should have double checked this thread. I thought for sure Thompson Cigar was the OK place to order from so I placed my order just now. AFTER I placed the order I came back here to see recommendations and see it’s the place I should avoid! Doh!

Oh well. Guess we’ll see what I get.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I did a quick read . . . very quick. . . so my comments are . . . as you know very ignorant.

The thing I saw that scares me is . . . they get you on a scheduled shipment of their sub standard brands.

As I say . . . I just glossed over it. Personally I'd disengage as soon as possible.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I sent them an email asking to cancel my order. Something else alarming - went to paypal to see if I could cancel my order through there as well (I couldn’t) and saw they were set up for automatic payments from paypal. Yikes.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I sent them an email asking to cancel my order. Something else alarming - went to paypal to see if I could cancel my order through there as well (I couldn’t) and saw they were set up for automatic payments from paypal. Yikes.

Make sure to document everything. Supposedly their excuse is “you consented to a subscription service, sorry our mistake”. Also their cancellation might take a few cycles as well.

Top Bottom