What's new

Is Muhle resin handle slippery?

The Muhle R108 (or it's black or white variations) has a smooth plastic (resin) handle:

R108.jpg
This strikes me as being very slippery when wet with this smooth resin handle? What is your experience for those who have this razor?

This type of handle has always been a bit too slippery for me, especially since I shave in the shower. You may know this but for any (new viewers), here are a few possible, popular solutions:

1. Rub an alum block onto your fingers as you shave. It's amazing how this increases grip.
2. Change handle. However, be careful not to upset the balance by putting too heavy of a handle onto this zamak head.
3. Wrap a small bit of electrical, rubber type tape around the handle.
4. Upgrade razor. You could move into another brand that may be made of stainless steel or brass/bronze alloy which would include a matching handle with a textured pattern, such as a bulldog style knurling.

If it were me, I'd opt for #4. For the $$$, go KARVE. It's a brass razor for around $85. You'll get one of the best razors and handles I've ever used. Plate C will be similar to the aggressiveness of the razor you've mentioned above. I'd go plate D. In addition, a stainless steel or brass razor will outlast any of these chrome plated razors from Muhle or Edwin Jagger. In the stainless steel world, consider a Rockwell 6S. It'll give you a great 3 plate razor with 6 different aggressivenesses for around $100. Getting into a higher class material that is built around a modular system with different plates will allow you growth. I hope this helps. There's lots of ways to skin this cat! (No animals actually hurt in my comment... he, he).

Best Wishes and Shave ON!

I have the R106 in black resin handle, and honestly, I don’t find it slippery at all. Almost in a magical way. Looking at it you’re thinking it would just be slick plastic. But some way, some how, for me, it hasn’t been an issue whatsoever. They aren’t my favorite shaves, but I cannot recommend against it for lack of grip. I think mine looks pretty darn slick too. Muhle does an excellent job with their chrome, and the black is a beautiful contrast.

I have the R106 in black resin handle, and honestly, I don’t find it slippery at all. Almost in a magical way. Looking at it you’re thinking it would just be slick plastic. But some way, some how, for me, it hasn’t been an issue whatsoever. They aren’t my favorite shaves, but I cannot recommend against it for lack of grip. I think mine looks pretty darn slick too. Muhle does an excellent job with their chrome, and the black is a beautiful contrast.
John,

Good report and glad to hear the Germans have not let us down! :)

Ike

This type of handle has always been a bit too slippery for me, especially since I shave in the shower. You may know this but for any (new viewers), here are a few possible, popular solutions:

1. Rub an alum block onto your fingers as you shave. It's amazing how this increases grip.
2. Change handle. However, be careful not to upset the balance by putting too heavy of a handle onto this zamak head.
3. Wrap a small bit of electrical, rubber type tape around the handle.
4. Upgrade razor. You could move into another brand that may be made of stainless steel or brass/bronze alloy which would include a matching handle with a textured pattern, such as a bulldog style knurling.

If it were me, I'd opt for #4. For the $$$, go KARVE. It's a brass razor for around $85. You'll get one of the best razors and handles I've ever used. Plate C will be similar to the aggressiveness of the razor you've mentioned above. I'd go plate D. In addition, a stainless steel or brass razor will outlast any of these chrome plated razors from Muhle or Edwin Jagger. In the stainless steel world, consider a Rockwell 6S. It'll give you a great 3 plate razor with 6 different aggressivenesses for around $100. Getting into a higher class material that is built around a modular system with different plates will allow you growth. I hope this helps. There's lots of ways to skin this cat! (No animals actually hurt in my comment... he, he).

Best Wishes and Shave ON!
BigShaveBill,

Thanks for the different option! I don't have a Muhle and if I got one I'd be inclined to get an all metal model. However, as John indicated in the previous post is that one has a better grip than is expected.

I must admit though that Karve and Timeless have my interest too...

Peace,
Ike

Jagger version can be bought with a lovely 3D diamond handle.

Of course, novices sometimes just wrap a rubber band on a slick handle.

Alum works great, too!

The Muhle R108 (or it's black or white variations) has a smooth plastic (resin) handle:

This strikes me as being very slippery when wet with this smooth resin handle? What is your experience for those who have this razor?

No issues whatsoever.

B

Jagger version can be bought with a lovely 3D diamond handle.

Of course, novices sometimes just wrap a rubber band on a slick handle.

Alum works great, too!
Mac,

Yes, I saw that 3D handle, supposedly provides a really good grip. However, I really have no problem with the regilar all metal, knurled EJ D89.

Same here no problems at all!

I've got plenty of challenges, being a noob and all, but the handle works fine as the others mentioned. I do have to agree with @johnwick that it makes for a beautiful razor, even right next to much more expensive hardware. The black/chrome contrast hits my eye just right.

I've got plenty of challenges, being a noob and all, but the handle works fine as the others mentioned. I do have to agree with @johnwick that it makes for a beautiful razor, even right next to much more expensive hardware. The black/chrome contrast hits my eye just right.
Black and Chrome, ah yes, the Harley two-tone combo. :)

For whatever it's worth I actually ended up ordering a Muhle Rocca R96 from Connaught Shaving. $79 and change delivered from across the pond.

R96-ROCCA-Embargo-09-2016-Razor-black-2.jpg

The handle is not resin, but electroplated I believe.

It looks like a real beauty! I hope it gives you terrific shaves!

Did you get past your previous issue with longer handles? The razor you bought isn’t a long handle, just regular. But I recall your preference for shorter ones.

It looks like a real beauty! I hope it gives you terrific shaves!

Did you get past your previous issue with longer handles? The razor you bought isn’t a long handle, just regular. But I recall your preference for shorter ones.
John,

You have an excellent memory and, no, I’m not sure I’m over longer handles. We’ll see how this goes. If the head shaves well then I can at least put a shorter handle on it if necessary.

Top Bottom