What's new

I just couldn’t resist.... Blackland Dart

When I get my Windsor back from the shave off I will do a comparison as I haven’t used my Windsor in about 3 months. That world shave off is awesome but takes awhile to do. From memory I would say the Windsor is smoother than the Dart and the efficiency is right between the R and the H plate
Thanks.

I've been watching that thread closely, and I would like an increase in efficiency and smoothness. So I just ordered the MMH1.

Still on the fence about the Dart, but I'm keeping it for now.

I Shaved with my Dart last Night
( 3 rd ) shave. Popped in a Astra SP great shave. This is going to be a keeper. BBS as of right now every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used my Dart the last few days, for the first time in a couple of months. I'm really impressed with the efficiency of this razor, given that it lacks the blade-forwardness (or "aggressiveness") of the razors I find most efficient, and which have been my focus the last couple of months. This is a very impressive tool that I heartily endorse for anyone looking for a close, long-lasting shave--regardless of your preferences on the mild-aggressive spectrum. It's in the same "mild" category, for me, as the Paradigm 17-4 or the Karve/F plate, two other amazing razors. Well done, Blackland.

I went back to the Dart after using the .84 for a couple of weeks. While I could get a good shave from then.84, I find it much easier to get a good shave from the Dart. Once you get the right angle dialed in I think he Dart is actually more efficient and less likely to cause irritation than the .84. Plus I like that there is more feedback from the Dart.

Got my Dart back into the rotation after the OCtober event and it was a hell of a shave. Smooth and efficient is all I can say. A little more blade feel than the Gamechanger with increased efficiency but, yet almost as comfy as the GC, very close. The feedback you get from this razor is really something. Great razor....

ED3932EE-3ED7-4DEC-A904-525EBAC905D7.jpeg

Posted my own review of the Dart in another thread. A super nice little razor. I'm using a friend's. Getting that hopeless feeling that I NEED one of my own. That hopeless feeling one gets as he sinks into the black hole of RAD.

I have been enjoying the Dart the last week or two. I noticed that I have to be careful of angle or there is a potential for scraping and razor burn. For today's shave, I added a shim between the top cap and the blade to make the blade angle even a bit steeper. It worked out really well, I found the blade feel was reduced but the blade angle felt really smooth. Perhaps worth a shot for folks that are experiencing razor burn or scraping.

I will continue to play around with the Dart and the shim this week.

Well over a month since my last shave with the Dart. Completed a smooth, comfy and BBS finish in 3 passes. The Dart is an excellent shaver that is at mid-level in terms of blade feel and comfort. Yet, gives a pretty nice angle of adjustment depending on how much or how little blade feel you want. I’ve learned that using a shallow angle you get a wee bit more blade feel that gives an extremely close and rather comfy shave. Go a bit steeper and the shave is almost GC .68 smooth with light blade feel that gives a super comfy shave. Trade off for me is that it’s not as close a shave as when I use a shallower angle. That angle produces an exquisite shave that just requires a bit more attention to technique & pressure, which is none.

Just a real easy razor to get an awesome shave with. It delivers.......

2F7CAEA1-8DA8-49EB-86F2-0D09AFAE6F83.jpeg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
My dart has been on holiday until yesterday i broke it out for two days growth. Mowed it down like crazy. Only did two passes. I got distracted when going under my nose and got a small cut but no biggie fortunately

I have been focusing on a new addition in the den but felt the Dart calling this morning. Three-pass sublime shave.

The Dart, for me, is great at either a daily driver or mowing down a few days of growth. I appreciate that this razor shaves well at steep angles, which I find to be a natural comfortable handle position.

Dart/Supermax BDT. I approached this first shave with the Dart with considerable trepidation knowing that Ruds had given it a too aggressive thumbs down as a head shaver (and we usually agree). It's ok for me, curiously loud like the blade is chattering but no tugs or skipping (unlike the Blackbird).

My only big issue is another terrible handle from Shane who seems to have a fear of knurling I don't really get. When it gets upside down on my head the wet handle really wants to go elsewhere which is not good given how much exposure we've got here. As sensible as Frank Lloyd Wright chair. I won't be using the handle again.

Excellent shave otherwise, I like the level of aggression just fine, adequately smooth, and build quality of course is superb.

proxy.php

As with all razors, YMMV. I shaved with the Dart last night. I used a Wizamet Super Iridium (older version of the Polsilver) with Stirling's Bergamont Lavender soap. I used Barrister & Mann's Latha, Lavanda Post Shave Splash (no longer produced which is a shame). I used a Razorock Plissoft brush (synthetic). I could really feel the blade. As with some others, I disagree with the aggressiveness at 6. To me (again YMMV), it should be around 8 or so. Here is the thing, however. I got zero nicks or cuts without any irritation whatsoever. Not even a single red spot on my face. The razor took off problem areas like it was nothing. Those trouble spots were taken care of with just a few passes. The razor is about as efficient as they come. After rinsing off and putting on the aftershave splash, my skin felt like I did not even shave except for there being no hair on my face. Talk about BBS with just a few passes. I have never had a razor feel that aggressive, yet cause zero irritation. I have had some razors that were just as aggressive and my face was feeling raw afterward. Not so with the Dart. All in all, a great razor. Nice job Shane!

As with all razors, YMMV. I shaved with the Dart last night. I used a Wizamet Super Iridium (older version of the Polsilver) with Stirling's Bergamont Lavender soap. I used Barrister & Mann's Latha, Lavanda Post Shave Splash (no longer produced which is a shame). I used a Razorock Plissoft brush (synthetic). I could really feel the blade. As with some others, I disagree with the aggressiveness at 6. To me (again YMMV), it should be around 8 or so. Here is the thing, however. I got zero nicks or cuts without any irritation whatsoever. Not even a single red spot on my face. The razor took off problem areas like it was nothing. Those trouble spots were taken care of with just a few passes. The razor is about as efficient as they come. After rinsing off and putting on the aftershave splash, my skin felt like I did not even shave except for there being no hair on my face. Talk about BBS with just a few passes. I have never had a razor feel that aggressive, yet cause zero irritation. I have had some razors that were just as aggressive and my face was feeling raw afterward. Not so with the Dart. All in all, a great razor. Nice job Shane!

Glad you're enjoying it! So here's the deal with rating aggressiveness:

1. First, it should noted that my aggressiveness scale is only to be used to show how Blackland razors relate to one another. It shouldn't be used to compare against other companies' razors as my 10 may be their 8. It's a relative scale.
  2. The scale is subjective and, therefore, flawed. It's all based on what I think of the razor. But I think it's better than nothing.
  3. The entire principle of aggressiveness is a problem. As you mentioned here, you got a close, smooth shave with no cuts or irritation. So it's efficient, but safe and smooth. Should that be considered closer to a 10 due to efficiency? Or closer to a 1 because you had no nicks or irritation?
I went with 6 because it has less blade feel (to me) than the Blackbird which I have at 7. I can whip the Dart across my face with no concern at all while I need to be a bit more careful with the 'Bird. I agree generally that the Dart is probably not what you think of when you hear 6/10 aggressiveness. But if I rate it higher, then it bumps against the Blackbird which I feel should be higher than the Dart. So that shoves the Blackbird into the 8-9 range which makes it sound like a complete beast of a razor and not something that can be used everyday. And that's not accurate either.

So my rating system suffers from subjectivity, poorly defined terms (aggressiveness), and the need for a razor's rank to be both accurate and appealing to a customer. It's a tough line to walk and I mostly fail, but it serves as a place to start and that's all it's intended to do. I'm considering either eliminating it altogether or revamping it by getting rid of the term "aggressiveness" altogether.

I hope that clarifies my thought process and what goes into rating these things.

Shane, good point. Sometimes aggressiveness can be misunderstood. For me, aggressiveness is blade feel and also efficiency (encompassing a lot, I know, and probably looking at it incorrectly). So as far as efficiency it is a 10 (10 obviously being the highest). I will say I have many razors (vintage to newer models). This is by far one of the most efficient razors I own. The fact that I can feel so much of the blade without any kind of irritation, nicks nor cuts really says that the razor is engineered very well. I still cannot get over how close a shave I got without any discomfort after the shave. It is a stainless steel magic wand. :)

@Blackland Razors . Shane I think it is very helpful that you rate your razors on how they feel to you. It has helped me choose based on what I rank the BlackBird for me. My numbers may not match yours but it has helped me with each purchase to know where you put it against the Blackbird. I love the Dart, and now I am getting a Jet from a friend. Keep up the great work and good luck with the Brass release.

Shane, good point. Sometimes aggressiveness can be misunderstood. For me, aggressiveness is blade feel and also efficiency (encompassing a lot, I know, and probably looking at it incorrectly). So as far as efficiency it is a 10 (10 obviously being the highest). I will say I have many razors (vintage to newer models). This is by far one of the most efficient razors I own. The fact that I can feel so much of the blade without any kind of irritation, nicks nor cuts really says that the razor is engineered very well. I still cannot get over how close a shave I got without any discomfort after the shave. It is a stainless steel magic wand. :)

@Blackland Razors . Shane I think it is very helpful that you rate your razors on how they feel to you. It has helped me choose based on what I rank the BlackBird for me. My numbers may not match yours but it has helped me with each purchase to know where you put it against the Blackbird. I love the Dart, and now I am getting a Jet from a friend. Keep up the great work and good luck with the Brass release.

Thanks, guys. I feel the Dart is highly underrated, especially for its price. I absolutely love this thing and I think it's so good that I was initially concerned that everyone would find it better than the Blackbird at half the price. Thankfully for the Blackbird that hasn't panned out.

Top Bottom