What's new

Shaving Soaps

Need some direction, please. I need help on using a brush and shaving soap. What is the process of preparing the soap to create your lather (probably a silly question but I am new to soaps)?

some let the soap bloom, where you leave hot water in it while you soak the brush. I have found that some soaps require more water while others don't, as mentioned there are a ton of videos out there showing you how to bloom soap and make shaving cream lather.

Also some soaps require alot of brush time, and others don't, also local water quality can play a major part in how your soaps perform, just a few things to keep in mind.

There are three basic ways as well, Bowl, Palm, and Face. Once you figure out which way you would like to work on, and have any specific issues doing so, it would be easier for us to help. Too many "How To's" with videos for us to try talking you through it!

Happy Shaves!

The Essentials:

Leave some water atop the soap while you shower; squeeze out your brush until most of the water is out; whip the brush around atop the soap to load it with soap; apply to face, and lather. Let the lather soak in for 2-3 minutes. Then wield your razor. Reapply soap after each pass as needed.

There are plenty of variations (for instance, how much lathering is required on soap or face, how much water to use, etc.). But this is what I do, boiled down to its simplest form.

Need some direction, please. I need help on using a brush and shaving soap. What is the process of preparing the soap to create your lather (probably a silly question but I am new to soaps)?

Sir Mdd!! Welcome to B&B!
Also, Happy Birthday!!

Soap prep for lathering??
Nooo problem!!
Hot water, badger, load for 10-20 sec.
Lather like hell in the puck, in a mug or on your face!!
Only takes a bit of practice!
Easiest thing on the planet!
Enjoy the experience and keep us posted!!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Use the search box on the forum and search for "The Marco Method". A great explanation of how to create a lather.

Watching YouTube now.
The problem with videos is you got to sort the wheat from the chaff, and there is a lot of chaff out there. Water quality is variable and so are the different soaps. It does gives you some basic information but first hand experience is your best bet. Try a few test lathers and you will soon get the idea how to produce good lather. As you shave in the shower, a shave stick applied to the wet stubble and face lathered would be a good start. Maybe start with a boar brush like the Semogue 620 but you need to pre-soak the brush for a least 3 minutes. The boar brushes also take ~ 30 shaves to break in.
Here is the link to the Shave Wiki which is very helpful; Interactive Guide to Lathering

I started with creams because I perceived them to be easier to lather. Not at All! Easy to do with a damp brush on a moisten puck and soaps last longer. Just experiment a bit . Don't chop and change soaps as most have different water amount requirements.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Lots of variables: kind of soap, water quality, brush.

I don't use soaps that require blooming. A Boar brush likes a bit of a soak before you use it.

Not much to it (it's not golf): take the damp brush and swirl it around the top of the soap for a while. When it's sufficiently loaded got to your face or bowl and swirl some more. Add water as needed.

So . . . how do you know when the brush is sufficiently loaded? You need to experiment a little.
Load time is contingent on:
1. Brush: how big, how wet, how much backbone?
2. Technique: how fast do you swirl, how much pressure on the puck?
3. Water quality and kind of soap.

Still, it's not golf - you try it and pay attention. If you don't have enough soap after you load you need to load longer or leave a little more water in your brush.

If your lather is too thin you need to load longer next time. If it's too thick you need to add a little more water now.

Soap is cheap, so I'd do a few test lathers (in a bowl or on your palm - be nice to your face). Make a lather that's a little on the dry side and slowly (maybe every 10 seconds) during your lather building process add a little water (I like to let the drops fall off my fingers, but whatever). Pay attention. Keep adding water until you get some beautiful looking lather. Don't stop - it's only practice. Keep adding water until you turn your beautiful lather into something too thin.

If you do this a couple of times you'll get a feel for the process and how much water to add. Do stop at the beautiful lather when making a real lather for shaving!

No worries - you can always load a little more or add a little water. It's only lather.

Good luck.

Top Bottom