What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

I am on my second day of Cafe Bustelo in my moka pot.

So far it's my favorite:

1. Cafe Bustelo
2. Starbucks Espresso
3. Cafe Bustelo Supreme
4. Lavazza

Still have a few more on my to try list.

25 grams Palomar Roaster Organic Honduran medium roast. with 380 grams filtered water via Cona 2A table top vacuum pot

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I brewed up a cup of my first natural process roast (Ethiopian Gelgelu Edema) in the French press (27 g/14 oz). I hope I don't sprain my arm by patting myself on the back, but I'm pretty tickled at how this roast came out. Most certainly fruity (blueberries and tart cherries) but tempered by smooth cocoa. Bright but not astringent or tangy.

Of course, I'm working with a fantastic bean, here, so my mantra throughout the roast was "don't screw it up, Doak. Don't screw it up."

Guatemalan San Pedro Necta
47 grams place in Kalita Wave 185 with oxygen bleached filter
bloom with a few ounces of water @ 198° - let sit for 1-5 minutes
pour over total of 730 grams of water at 198°, slowly - never flooding the grounds
serve in two travel mugs for two happy commuters
notes of tamarind, butterscotch, caramel, dried cherries - delicious

25 grams Palomar Roaster Organic Costa Rican medium roast. with 380 grams filtered water via Cona 2A table top vacuum pot

25 grams Palomar Roaster Organic Costa Rican medium roast. with 380 grams filtered water via Cona 2A table top vacuum pot

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Just started the newest batch of Ethiopian Gelgelu Edema (roasted on Tuesday). It made for a very nice shot.

On Tuesday I used 22g of Quarter Horse's superb espresso blend, into a barely-ristretto 33g cup. Naked PF, it looked good in the extraction. Topped this up with a further 33g water @92degC from my Bonavita. Puck was dry and formed after, but had clearly over-extracted on one side. Perfection remains elusive, but this was a DFS brew even so! Delicious coffee with classic, rounded flavours.

Had to rely on hotel coffee yesterday.

Today I used the same blend of QH into my Aeropress. Dosing is hit and miss, as I have no scale when I travel. Should really get one, as the flavours were way out. I suspect I'm overdosing and grinding too coarse.

Luke

I am trying to avoid making coffee at home. Here in Manhattan there are some great places to buy Kenyan and Ethiopian coffee beans, but if I do it at home, I will drink gallons a day. If I am enjoying coffee in the city it will be from Jack's Stir Brew, Oren's Daily Roast, Le Pain Quotidien, or Ninth Street Espresso. I know (hope) they keep their coffee makers clean and the coffee always tastes fresh. Highly recommend all when you are in New York City!

Top Bottom