What's new

I'm not a kid

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Decades ago I was told to harden my hands in salt water.

This might not be the best advice. Kinda worked for me at the time.

These days . . . mid winter. . . . doing thinks that need to be done with bare fingers in the cold. Hands are cracking with the usual er. . . bloody gashes that will heal in time.

I know I'm not the only one here with this issue. What do you guys do?bbb

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

These days . . . mid winter. . . . doing thinks that need to be done with bare fingers in the cold. Hands are cracking with the usual er. . . bloody gashes that will heal in time.

Salt is not good for skin...it dries you out. Been used for centuries to do that for meat and stuff. When I'd go diving in the ocean a fresh water shower immediately followed.

Wear gloves. And put vaseline on dry, chapped skin. Also, I don't go out in the cold. I live down south.

Aloe Vera is good for sunburn and such...good for all types of skin problems. You may try that...if they have any live plants available there. I always keep three or four potted aloe vera plants around.

Shamelessly stolen from 7 Amazing Uses for Aloe Vera

You can use aloe vera to keep your skin clear and hydrated. This may be because the plant thrives in dry, unstable climates. To survive the harsh conditions, the plant’s leaves store water. These water-dense leaves, combined with special plant compounds called complex carbohydrates, make it an effective face moisturizer and pain reliever.

Edit: You may wish to put some of the aloe leaf gel on a bandaid or something and leave it on for awhile, like a couple of days. Change it twice daily...when you get up and before you go to bed.

One time in the not too distant past I was frying some chicken and a piece slipped out of the tongs and splashed some hot grease on my wrist. About a three inch patch that blistered and the skin peeled off...second-degree burn. I cut open a leaf of the appropriate size, split it, and put the gooey side of the leaf down and wrapped it up in gauze to keep the leaf on. Changed it twice daily and after a few days the burn was gone. Don't even have a scar and the burn never hurt, except for the initial grease spatter.

Last edited:
O'Keeffe's Working Hands is the best I've found.

Haven't tried it but at the very least available at Canadian Tire.

My daughter gave me a tube of stuff called 'Hand Chemistry' Pro-Repair Skincare for Hands which helped when my hands had started cracking and bleeding early in the season. My wife swears by Aveeno Intense Relief Hand Cream, haven't tried it but will when the Hand Chemistry empties.

Vitamin E gel and a bandaid for the cracks that got away.
dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It’s greasy as hell, but will heal up split skin like no one’s business.

450BDD91-7685-48D9-8BD4-571454871195.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Also, drink a lot of water. Our skin splits because we get dehydrated in the dry winter months. Your skin needs water.

Mike to help heal the spilts and cracks fill them with chapstic or other beeswax based products. Then keep after it with the bag balm or similar.

Top Bottom