What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

I think we must have different handles because I see no place to put putty in it. You are not going in at the top of the handle are you? I'm curious

Top.
IMG_20190218_152706.jpg
IMG_20190218_152847.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Funny I didn't find the SC head heavy at all and I'm usually not a fan of light razors and it definitely didn't feel as head heavy for example as my Gibbs. With that said I will at some point put a Bulldog on it and see how the SC shaves with more weight on it. For me the Fatip was not perfectly balanced and I'm also not crazy about the handle so I'll also try using not only a different blade with it but a different handle.

The SC head isnt heavy, but the common bar handle is light. With the SC head on the common bar handle, the razor is head heavy. It doesnt balance at the neck like the Grande.

Fatip handles have different threads. Most other handles wont fit the cap boss.

I personally liked the head heaviness of the SC, i would think that the engineers at Gillette had a reason for it. For me it allows the head to do the work without me having to add extra pressure. With light razors that are not head heavy I find i start to use pressure during my shave.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Ok so I'll start by saying when I used it before the Shave Off I was playing with the angle and also a note I had a Feather in there on the first Shave which is why I mentioned it in the review that maybe I'll give it another try in the future. I went really steep at first when I used it in my trial shave and I didn't like the blade feel it reminded me of the PAA I used as far as face feel but not even as smooth and that ain't saying a lot. Then I went with a more neutral angle and things got better so I immediately went to a shallow angle for the rest of the shave as you probably know I skin stretch which does as I've said before change the dynamics of how a razor shaves and that is true with any of the many razors I've used. For me it was very easy to feel that the SC was smoother no matter what I did and again for me it was definitely more efficient as after the first pass I was left with more noticeable stubble where the Fatip had shaved as opposed to the SC. I also think if I remember correctly from a much earlier post that you use pressure when you shave which is the complete opposite of what I do. Skin stretching the way I do there is no need for it at all if I'm using an efficient or in some cases a very or extremely efficient razor with creating a very smooth landscape I can cut down on the number of passes or should I say the number of strokes. I don't think either of these razors are in the Very or Extremely efficient category but more so just efficient. As I was going for smoothest and not most efficient once I felt the SC pull away from the Fatip in that area I just backed off on trying to go for even an entry level BBS but wound up with a decent DFS with some areas of my cheeks entry level BBS but again more so where the SC shaved. So I started this Shave Off using a more neutral angle and when I felt the less than smooth face feel with the Fatip I again went right to the shallow angle which was a bit better. I have no doubt with either razor holding the blade as rigid as they do that I could have started off with a ATG pass and I've done that many times and I've even followed up with a reverse ATG pass without a relather which with the right razors is all that's needed to achieve a very solid BBS shave.

Bottom line I was excited to try both razors and went into this Shave Off with no bias or preference to any razor and the results I got were just what I reported. Hey you know the old saying to each his own and such.

I will try it again when I have time but for this round it was the SC that shined for me.

Thanks for your input and sharing your own personal experiences with the Fatip and SC. That is what makes this thread not only fun for me and others I'm sure but a good source of information and even historical info on some razors.
:thumbup1:

I understand what you're saying and thanks for the clarity.

There is shallow shaving, such as what I assume you mean, by the cap just lightly sliding over your skin. If I shave like that with my Grande, its still too steep and the blade will flex and tug at the hairs.

I shave very shallow by pushing the cap into my skin, not the blade edge. I'd be peeling skin if I did that lol. I shave at the level of the lower red line. Without pressure of the cap against the skin, you cannot reach that angle of blade to skin.

IMG_2182.JPG

Because of the design geometry of the Fatip head in regards to cap & guard span combined with blade exposure, its much easier to shave that shallow than it is the SC. When I shave that shallow with the SC, I end up with a patchy shave because it doesnt have enough blade exposure and maintaining that incredibly fine level of pressure to keep the depth of cut equal throughout a shave, is incredibly difficult.

I personally liked the head heaviness of the SC, i would think that the engineers at Gillette had a reason for it. For me it allows the head to do the work without me having to add extra pressure. With light razors that are not head heavy I find i start to use pressure during my shave.

I rather think the accountants at Gillette had a reason for it, and in 1930-1 they were calling the shots with the New the first Gillette designed to a $1 price point The pricier New Deluxe (on the NI type handle) has perfect balance as do the TTOs introduced later in the decade. #EngineersWept

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Well if he can do it then I can do it!! Haha! I’m busting his chops right now so I hope he chimes in. So where are you Yoda!

:a45:

Seriously I’ll try it with a very shallow angle just for the experience next time I use it. I go off the beatin path a lot when it comes to technique as most know as I love a good challenge and usually have a lot of fun when exploring new things as I’ve learned to keep an open mind!

Thats the spirit!

The right angle for you with a Fatip is in there, find it and its magic. Miss it and your Fatip experience will be mediocre.

As I said, the only razor I've used thats both smoother and more efficient, is the MMOC. Using my Grande at the angle I've shown, using the MMOC at its design angle, the angle of blade edge to skin is very much the same.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
In fact I can’t wait till Stan comes out with the new SE1 with the Windsor head. I have a feeling it’s going to be a very special razor!

Ahhh, I didnt know there was going to be a design change. I thought it was just going to be a name and line change. I'll need to pay attention.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yep it’s goibg to be based off the Windsor head which if you’d ever shaved with the normal ATT in the R or the H plate when Stan came out with the Windsor head it took the razor to new heights and I’m thinking he’ll so the same with the already good excising SE1.

I have not. The most expensive razor I own is my Grande. :tongue_sm

The SE1 is constantly on my mind so I'll keep an eye open for it though!

It’s great to hear from those vintage users as your opinions are always enlightening. Also gentlemen please note the above posts as @Dragonsbeard AKA RAD enabler has just created a spike in eBay prices for Slim and Mergress razors. I’m pushing for the Slim to out smooth the Mergress

Excellent review, Frank. Finally a review using razors I already own. No need to look on the auction sites. The Fatip is solid brass and is available with various finishes, such as black, chrome, nickel and gold. I usually agree with you but I have to disagree with your assessment of the Grande. I have a very different experience. No soup for you! And I miss the pictures too.

Excellent review, Frank. Finally a review using razors I already own. No need to look on the auction sites. The Fatip is solid brass and is available with various finishes, such as black, chrome, nickel and gold. I usually agree with you but I have to disagree with your assessment of the Grande. I have a very different experience. No soup for you! And I miss the pictures too.

Hi Ray
@Ray Settanta
Wow I can’t believe I didn’t upload the photo I took of the gear: I was a hurry to get the review up I totally forgot to upload it.

Also that’s what’s good about this hobby we all have different opinions and experiences Shaving with all these great razors!
For me in this last Shave Off the SC was a clear winner when it came to smoothness.

Anyway here’s the photo. Better late than n vet they say and I won’t let it happen again my friend!
0BBEF1FA-2934-4413-938B-E751EFEEA64D.jpeg

Lol, thanks Frank. I would think you would not forget the photos especially because of the big bucks the razor companies pay you to promote their products.

Regarding Frank's first "Smoothness" Shave Off:
I COULD NOT BELIEVE THIS! :a31:

So, in a fit of pique, I removed the blade from my beloved Fatip OC and loaded it in my NEW SC (last used August 23, 2017) for tomorrow's shave.
LMAO!! Cal... you're killing me my friend! :punk:
Well, I had my NEW SC shave and was quite surprised. Bear in mind that my Fatip OC has a custom (short, lightweight) handle, so it isn't a Grande. I scored my shaves as per "Frank's Smoothness Parameters."

Fatip OC
50 Smoothness
15 Efficiency
08 Balance
04 Maneuverability
04 Glide
81 Total

Gillette NEW SC
45 Smoothness
17 Efficiency
08 Balance
04 Maneuverability
04 Glide
78 Total

So my beloved Fatip won, but only by the tiniest margin.
upload_2019-2-20_17-5-13.png

That was a good lesson learned. Thank you Frank. :thumbup1:
I've been practicing "razor monogamy" for too long; it's back to flirting for me again (except for when I have a new razor to "dial in").

UPDATE:

The Mergress hasn’t gotten to me yet so I’m going to put that Shave Off on the back burner for now and I’m going with the 1936 Aristocrat vs the Charcoal Goods Level 2 OC. Should make for an interesting Shave Off

Also a new razor is coming my way to be added to the list and it comes with a reputation of being a smooth shaver. The Paradigm Titanium 11.. I’ve shaved with it once but I can remember exactly how smooth it was since my main focus back then was efficiency.

So check back I’ll try to get the next Shave Off up either tonight or early tomorrow morning

Thanks all

DB

Top Bottom