What's new

Which is the best High End Razor?

Which High End Razor brand is Best?

• Total voters
I have the 1.25 mm WR2. I've seen others say it's between the 0.86 and 0.94 WR1. I haven't tried the WR1, but from what I've heard maintaining the angle of a Wolfman is key. I'd say mine has similar blade feel to the Timeless but is more sensitive to angle than Timeless.

Thanks. I suspect I would love that razor. Although I might like the .94 WR1 better. I don't know. And likely will never find out. I'll keep trying to swap my WR1, as a Quixotic life quest...

The WR2 .125 DC I used was not as smooth and not as efficient as my .94 WR1 DC. I’m waiting to try a friends WR2 Ti .135 to compare but as of now I prefer the WR1 head in the higher gaps to the WR2.. just the opposite in the lower gaps.
All Wolfie’s do have a small sweet spot so it may take you a few shaves to find it but once you do it will give you a great shave.

Thanks Frank! I can definitely see that being the case with the WR1 vs WR2. I've been looking at the geometry of the WR1 vs WR2 lately and it appears that the WR1 bends the blade slightly, I think I'd prefer a WR1 with a larger gap.

Thanks. I suspect I would love that razor. Although I might like the .94 WR1 better. I don't know. And likely will never find out. I'll keep trying to swap my WR1, as a Quixotic life quest...

We should meet up halfway at a pub for a beer, we can shave in the bathroom... that wouldn't be weird would it? o_O

The WR2 .125 DC I used was not as smooth and not as efficient as my .94 WR1 DC. I’m waiting to try a friends WR2 Ti .135 to compare but as of now I prefer the WR1 head in the higher gaps to the WR2.. just the opposite in the lower gaps.
All Wolfie’s do have a small sweet spot so it may take you a few shaves to find it but once you do it will give you a great shave.

I suspect you're right about the sweet spot, Frank. Unfortunately, I don't have the patience, after three or four years of many second chances. The good news is that the amount of money I spent way back when for my Wolfman is a mere fraction of what it costs to buy one today.

Thanks Frank! I can definitely see that being the case with the WR1 vs WR2. I've been looking at the geometry of the WR1 vs WR2 lately and it appears that the WR1 bends the blade slightly, I think I'd prefer a WR1 with a larger gap.

We should meet up halfway at a pub for a beer, we can shave in the bathroom... that wouldn't be weird would it? o_O

I've done weirder things...

high-end
/ˌhīˈend/
adjective
  1. denoting the most expensive of a range of products.
    "high-end computers"
Just for clarification.
Happy shaves
SMURF

Having only tried one Wolfman, I can't compare them. Can only say that the WR1 .94 SB was, for me, an incredible razor. Aggressive, great blade feel and super smooth. A razor that does what you want it to do with confidence and authority. The look and feel is more like a piece of jewelry than a tool. It's not exactly my style. A bit bland and Midwestern. Not at all exotic. But boy that thing shines! (Literally and metaphorically)

Votes are currently Wolfman 14, Timeless 13, Raw Shaving 5. Those make sense.

But zero votes for Blackland and just 3 for ATT? That's a slap in the face since quite a lot of people have used those razors, particularly ATT.

Above the Tie is not an unicorn, Here in Italy for example Rex Ambassador, Wolfman, Raw Timeless are unicorns and people vote for unicorns not for reliable and disposable razors... My opinion
I vote Rex affordable, well made, beautiful

M

member 119848

I voted Timeless because that´s what I proudly recently ordered.
If money and availability were nothing to consider, Charcoal Goods would probably my #1 choice. I love the "steam punk" esthetics of CG, and from what I´ve read from the level-3 it´s a dream-razor.
In the meanwhile, I can´t wait to have the .78 OC bronze delivered to me. :clap:

To me, there is none better than a Wolfman in both look and shave. Some come close but I no longer have need for others. I think the guys that rank Wolfman way down their shave list just chose the wrong gap for their face. Had I judged the brand based on the first WR1-74 I bought, I 'd only have the one and a rack full of other razors. The 74 is my least favorite WR1 and it may get sold too. Fortunately, I persisted and started getting higher WR1 gaps all the way up to 94. The WR1 head gets better with gap increase.

Then came the WR2 head and Ti with it. The SS115 got me to wondering why I kept all the other razors. The Ti115 pushed me over the edge and I started selling every modern non-Wolf I had. For me, it's that good.

I have the SSWR1-94SB and a TiWR2-1.35SB. The 135 is slightly more efficient, has slightly less blade feel, and is at least as smooth. After the first pass the 135 blade feel is substantially reduced whereas the WR1 heads all maintain pretty consistent blade feel throughout the shave. The Ti135 and the SS94 yield virtually the same result but go about it completely differently.

Timeless gets a lot of love and I can see why, the brand has a lot to offer and it's available now. My 95OC shaves similarly to a WR1-86. If the head height/weight of the SST95 doesn't bother you, keep all of your money in your pocket, run it, and don't look back. It's a fantastic razor and the smoothness is hard to beat. It's not as pretty as a Wolfman but comparing similar heads the results are pretty much the same.

Charcoal Goods, Blackland, Timeless, Rocnel, Paradigm are all very well made shavers that perform very well. They are all fighting for second place, IMO.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
As someone who has used all of the above, except for Rex Ambassador, I offer an relatively educated vote. For Raw Shaving.

I voted Timeless and find it to be the best have tried! I have a SS.95 SB and love it. I have never tried the Wolfman and would love to own one, but I find it extremely irritating that it is so difficult to buy one. For the money and availability, it is Timeless.

Apologies if I left out any brands...
I think this is a valid question because many people want a new, high end razor but do not have a good idea of what to buy. I am also glad that companies can make a go at making de razors. My idea of good high end razor is one that has stood the test of time and is still highly sought after, so many to choose from.

What does that say to you, MH?
That would tell me that your razor in fact "isn't" made from Aircraft Grade Aluminum like you thought it was... Now that I think about it some more and I'm thinking that that particular pic has been posted somewhere here before and there was talk about materials that Ikon said they made their products from and some testing being done to dispute their claims and such. I'll do some research to see what I can find, but from that pic of the Ikon Tech polished head tells anyone it anything but Aircraft Quality Aluminum or in fact any where near High End!! That was all I was referring to...

eta... I am editing this to add Jim's pic to show the different layers that Ikon has said is Aircraft Grade Aluminum...
proxy.php

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It wouldnt need to be plated either. 6061 takes a polish pretty well, but it will oxidize.

That would tell me that your razor in fact "isn't" made from Aircraft Grade Aluminum like you thought it was... Now that I think about it some more and I'm thinking that that particular pic has been posted somewhere here before and there was talk about materials that Ikon said they made their products from and some testing being done to dispute their claims and such. I'll do some research to see what I can find, but from that pic of the Ikon Tech polished head tells anyone it anything but Aircraft Quality Aluminum or in fact any where near High End!! That was all I was referring to...

I'm sure it was my razor under discussion. My recollection is that Ikon never claimed anything like solid aluminum but rather stated the material was a "proprietary aluminum composite". Vendors and users may have made other claims on their own.

Just looking at the RS-10 I can't see anything special about the design, and it doesn't look particularly rigid either. What am I missing here?

Just looking at the RS-10 I can't see anything special about the design, and it doesn't look particularly rigid either. What am I missing here?
I agree that at first look I didn’t see anything special about the RS10, beyond a great finish, but after one shave it is different for me, smooth and efficient with a Feather blade everytime.

To me, there is none better than a Wolfman in both look and shave. Some come close but I no longer have need for others. I think the guys that rank Wolfman way down their shave list just chose the wrong gap for their face. Had I judged the brand based on the first WR1-74 I bought, I 'd only have the one and a rack full of other razors. The 74 is my least favorite WR1 and it may get sold too. Fortunately, I persisted and started getting higher WR1 gaps all the way up to 94. The WR1 head gets better with gap increase.

Then came the WR2 head and Ti with it. The SS115 got me to wondering why I kept all the other razors. The Ti115 pushed me over the edge and I started selling every modern non-Wolf I had. For me, it's that good.

I have the SSWR1-94SB and a TiWR2-1.35SB. The 135 is slightly more efficient, has slightly less blade feel, and is at least as smooth. After the first pass the 135 blade feel is substantially reduced whereas the WR1 heads all maintain pretty consistent blade feel throughout the shave. The Ti135 and the SS94 yield virtually the same result but go about it completely differently.

Timeless gets a lot of love and I can see why, the brand has a lot to offer and it's available now. My 95OC shaves similarly to a WR1-86. If the head height/weight of the SST95 doesn't bother you, keep all of your money in your pocket, run it, and don't look back. It's a fantastic razor and the smoothness is hard to beat. It's not as pretty as a Wolfman but comparing similar heads the results are pretty much the same.

Charcoal Goods, Blackland, Timeless, Rocnel, Paradigm are all very well made shavers that perform very well. They are all fighting for second place, IMO.

I agree with your comments regarding Wolfman, @loot. I bought the .74 WR1 several years ago, when it was deemed the "aggressive" Wolfman. I suspect if I tried the modern "aggressive" version, at .94, I would actually use and love it.

I agree with your comments regarding Wolfman, @loot. I bought the .74 WR1 several years ago, when it was deemed the "aggressive" Wolfman. I suspect if I tried the modern "aggressive" version, at .94, I would actually use and love it.
Since the CGL3 SB is a hit for you, I have to think the WR1 .94 SB would be as well. As I've said elsewhere, the two offer a very similar shave. In my opinion, the CGL3 is a fraction more aggressive. That much I'm quite sure of. Both are smooth as silk. Both offer great blade feel but, not having them side by side, I don't know which is more blade forward. I want to say the CG but it's a guess.

Top Bottom