What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four for March Madness) 2019 Edition

I'm in!

I declined last year as I was committed to the "Willie" challenge and I didn't know how long my puck would last...ended up being near the end of March, as I recall. I'm quite happy with waiting several years (decades) before using Williams again, and will be finishing up my "One Blade" challenge on Feb 28, so:

Razor: Red Tip I got back two years or more ago from North Shore Razors
Brush: Yaqi synthetic; I might have to travel so I want one which dries quickly
Cream: Body Shop Maca Root pre-reformulation; I've read many good things and I've got a tub which I've just cracked to drop in the last shards of another soap; it's 99.8% full
Blade: Nacet; I'll have four left from a tuck at the end of this month. I'll definitely be ready for a fresh one.

Not trying to dial anything in, in fact the only unknown will be the shaving cream but I don't anticipate any issues; I've been able to use everything from Nivea and Williams to high end artisan soaps with no issues. I'll do it in the spirit of my 2019 sabbatical in the interest of simplicity and fine, no stress shaves.

This thread is the first time I've ever seen people worried about their brush drying. I've been using a brush for over 12 years. I've never given it a second thought.

Those with the loudest voices would appear to be the shaving brush makers. :001_rolle

I'm betting your great-grandfather didn't have two brushes (unless he was well-to-do of course). :wink2:

This thread is the first time I've ever seen people worried about their brush drying. I've been using a brush for over 12 years. I've never given it a second thought.

Love the bolded quote, hit the right funny bones for me.

I thought it was the shavers with 31 brushes that maintain that it takes a month to dry thoroughly.

They all seem to be married.

Also loved this quote, which serves as the best explanation to an odd sounding policy I have heard to date.

To be fair and honest, I meant it in a light-hearted manner more to indicate how silly my indecision on the point is than as an actual concern. I can see why it was read as me being serious and appreciate the well-reasoned responses, even if it sets me back to not having a front runner.

I only recently (end of last year) got more than one brush and find that, so far, they perform the same job with similar capabilities. Realistically I will probably decide which brush to use for March based on which brush I use on March 1st.

This was lots of fun last year!! For me this year it will be:

Razor: Merkur 1904 with a Weber BullDog handle.
Brush: Omega 11126
Soap: Van der Hagen
Blade: Either Astra SP or Personna Red (to be determined on 01 March)

So for the fixed four is it just any four items? Or does it have to be a specific 4? I can do brush razor and soap, blade though will be tough. I’m not sure I could do just one aftershave either

Raven Koenes

My precious!
So for the fixed four is it just any four items? Or does it have to be a specific 4? I can do brush razor and soap, blade though will be tough. I’m not sure I could do just one aftershave either
It means Brush, Razor, Soap, and blade. This does not include pre or post prep like an aftershave or balm. You can also change a blade for a new one as long as it is the same. I hope that helps. It would be nice to see you join in.

So for the fixed four is it just any four items?
And just to be doubly clear, here's Rule 1 from the OP:

IT’S SIMPLE (Rule 1)

You just pick one BRUSH, one SOAP/CREAM, one RAZOR, and one BLADE*.
And you use ONLY those four for the whole month.

*With blades, if you chose say “Astra SP” you would stick to that blade, but use as many of them as you see fit.

That’s the end of Rule 1. Rule 1 is the only rule.

I'm not sure about my setup. Did post this a week ago.

Brush: Semugue badger owners club
Soap: BodyShop Macca root
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Wilkinson Sword German

Brush and blade is decided, I will go with them.
The soap, I'm really not sure. I do like the Macca Root, I think it's on of the best out there. But maybe try something else, that I haven't used that much. Maybe use the standard, everywhere available and classic Palmolive cream. Use it now and then but have never tried it a whole month.
Same goes with the razor, maybe change the Merkur 34c for a razor I dont use that often. Maybe my birthyear/quarter razor, Super speed W4, or the Black beauty T3? I will decide in time before March.

Edit: I'll go with the SS W4, it's a perfect opportunity to learn my birthyear/quarter razor! Just have to finally decide which soap to go with!

Last edited:
I'm in:

Brush: Simpsons Chubby 2 2-band silver tip
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Razor: Timeless .68 ss sb
Blade: Personna comfort coated blue

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm really unsure what to do about soap for this...

The sample I'm using probably won't be finished by the end of February, and I'd rather not leave what's left to dry out and crumble for a month.

I think I might be doing a fixed 3.1/2 :lol:

I'm really unsure what to do about soap for this...

The sample I'm using probably won't be finished by the end of February, and I'd rather not leave what's left to dry out and crumble for a month.

I think I might be doing a fixed 3.1/2 :lol:
I have two questions for you...
1. How many shaves do you usually get from your samples?
2. Have you considered placing what remains of your current sample in a sealed container?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have two questions for you...
1. How many shaves do you usually get from your samples?
2. Have you considered placing what remains of your current sample in a sealed container?

I got 23 from the last sample, which was Haslinger Schafmilch. This is PdP, and I don't know as yet how that will compare. The sample is moulded into the bottom of a ramekin, and if I scraped it out to put it in a small sealed pot, I'd have to resoak it and remould it again.

@AimlessWanderer, 23 shaves from a sample is much better than I was expecting. I bought a dozen samples later year and was waiting for the right time to start using them. Thanks for the info.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
And how long, exactly, would that take you, Al? :001_unsur

A couple of minutes to scrape out and seal. A day or so to resoak, a few minutes to remould, and then two or three days/shaves for it to all settle down and equalise to the proper humidity again.

@AimlessWanderer, 23 shaves from a sample is much better than I was expecting. I bought a dozen samples later year and was waiting for the right time to start using them. Thanks for the info.

On hard soaps, I tend to get about four shaves per gram of soap. With softer soaps, that might rise to half a gram per shave, or maybe a little more. I don't like my lather as rich and dense as some shavers though.

Top Bottom