What's new

TENTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2019 Edition

Wilkinson Sword German (16)
Merkur 34c
Palmolive classic

This blade continues to deliver good shaves. BBS on my cheeks, just had to work a little more than usual, but I'm really impressed how good this blade holds up.
When February is over I will order a couple of hundred of them and put in stock.

Astra Superior Stainless (17)
British Rocket Flare Tip
TOBS badger brush
Yardley Moisturizing Bath Bar + Van der Hagen Luxury frankensoap, face lathered
Murray and Lanman Florida Water

Two top-notch shaves in a row. Darn fine shave today. Credit the razor, and credit the lather. My Yardley Bentonite clay bath soap experiment continues, today with a good-but-not-great soap, VDH Luxury. The Yardley added crazy slickness to the shave. My second pass was done just by re-wetting my face and spreading the resulting lather around.

Four days until the three week milestone. Twenty one shaves on this Astra seem doable.

My Mongoose is an AC SE razor. It shaves wonderfully (when the blade is good). I typically don't get more than 7 days out of a blade (at least for the two types I have) and I thought I'd really like to see just how far I can push one blade.

Next month I'm trying the final four challenge with an Eversharp Schick I1 and a Chick. I only typically get 7 days out of one of those too. That being said, 7 days seems to be a bit of a magic number for me.
I'm really impressed how well the "Chick" is holding up for me. I've pushed them beyond two weeks but it has always been shaving with them intermittently. The others were pretty rough at this point, but this time I'm feeling very little degradation in sharpness at 18 days.

Had to take a 1-day break to try out a different blade I picked up. Was passing by a Sally Beauty store and went in for a 5-pack dispenser of Personna DE blades. In theory these ought to be the same as their "Lab Blues" (in other words, Accutec's standard issue oiled and PTFE-coated DE blade) packed for the barber/beauty market, but some who've used them swear they're different. I'm not seeing it. There was certainly nothing wrong with the one I used. Perfect BBS, just as if I'd bought it from Ted Pella instead, and it sure was nice using a sharp blade again.

Back to the Gillette for shave #14 tomorrow before work, if I grow enough of a beard by then to make it worth the effort.

Two Blades in February? :hand:

Yeah, I know, I know. I shall flay myself appropriately. :a19: But I can only feel so guilty. With my wiry beard that GPP is barely going to make it to the end of the month as it is. Taking a lot of effort to get a good shave anymore.

I assume the "GPP" to be a "mortal" blade. So why not apply Rule 1 (in the OP)? :001_unsur

Well, with no Personna 74s in the house, this is the most immortal blade I own. Problem is that I could kill a Personna 74 in a month. To steal someone else's line, my face shaves blades.

Accordingly, Rule 1 is hereby invoked. :whistling:

February 18th, shave #11 - Muhle R41, Feather Stainless.

Same two pass (WTG, ATG) shave, great results. Maybe slightly more irritation, but nothing beyond post-shave.

To steal someone else's line, my face shaves blades.
Moving the blade from your Slim to your SS worked well last time (even though it added to your shave time). Have you any other razors you could use?

I find that a razor change (up or down in aggression doesn't seem to matter) magically lengthens blade life. :sorcerer:
(I have coarse, dense, and fast growing whiskers.)

Moving the blade from your Slim to your SS worked well last time (even though it added to your shave time). Have you any other razors you could use?

I find that a razor change (up or down in aggression doesn't seem to matter) magically lengthens blade life. :sorcerer:
(I have coarse, dense, and fast growing whiskers.)

Just a Black Beauty which isn't any different, and two SEs. So for all practical purposes, no. I'll only need 7 more before the month is up, because I don't get enough growth to have to go every single day, and I think I can get 7 out of the GPP in the Slim. It is slowing down but it's not dead yet. Considering I've never pushed a blade past 6 before, I think I can be satisfied with 20 from this one.

I mostly just wanted to give the Personna a chance because I've already committed to using one of my Gem razors for all of March, which then puts me into April before using anything else, and I really didn't care to wait that long. :)

That's great! :thumbup:

Have you checked out the Excalibur Club yet?
Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

I just finished reading the last couple pages of that thread. I'm kind of amazed at how long it takes you to wear through a blade with minimal prep. The GPP is at stage 4 already and I just hope it doesn't get to stage 5 before next Friday. I don't do anything in particular to keep track of shave counts at all, I just have a rough idea in my head and when it starts taking extra passes and cleanup to get to BBS, I toss it. I think I usually average about 6 from a high quality stainless blade, but it could be a couple more or less. This month is the first time I really counted.

#17 GSB and Merkur Slant. I do two-pass shaves with clean-up. For purposes of full disclosure, I do not have a goatee, mustache or other facial hair that I do not shave. I also shave the back of my neck twice weekly.

Nacet (30) in Karve D plate, two pass with cleanup, BBS
Cremo Sandalwood + Dove care for Men bar soap
Dove after shave balm
Fine American Blend AS

Literally did not feel the blade except slightly when ATG above my lip. I am noticing a pattern - Sunday, great shave. Monday, subpar shave. Tuesday, great shave.

#8 on the vintage Gillette Super Stainless (P4-1970).

This was with a 4-day growth. A bit more tuggy on the first pass due to the extra beard length.
Still going strong!

Top Bottom