What's new

Tony Miller's Old No. 2 Heirloom strop

CCC5BE41-01D9-487E-BDD4-F77EB6F5D37D.jpeg

Tony’s Rough Out strop is kind of a suede-y leather similar to the Illinois 827. Heavy draw...solid feel.
I’m teaming mine up with one of his new “Steer-dovan” strops. Reportedly a super slick very Cordovan like leather. Have one on the way I recently ordered. Looks like there are only a few left.

I tested the Steer-Dovan and it’s pretty slick, I had one of his Notovan several years back and ended up selling it off, there was something about the draw I just could not warm up to but this Steer-Dovan I have is breaking in very nicely and I figure in a few more weeks it’s going to be perfect.

F

ffourteen

Interesting. How would you describe the difference between the draw in the notovan and steerdovan?

F

ffourteen

View attachment 953822
Tony’s Rough Out strop is kind of a suede-y leather similar to the Illinois 827. Heavy draw...solid feel.
I’m teaming mine up with one of his new “Steer-dovan” strops. Reportedly a super slick very Cordovan like leather. Have one on the way I recently ordered. Looks like there are only a few left.

Teaming it up? So you're going to use a progression like linen>rough out>steer-dovan?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I have always favored smooth slick strops for very light full hollow ground razors and then slower, heavy draw strops for big wedges and heavy, thick razors.

Although way back when, I used to pair the leather components of an Illinois 827 Russian with a 127 and used them as a progression, rough then smooth. You could try this with the Roughout and the smooth Steerhide though.

F

ffourteen

I have always favored smooth slick strops for very light full hollow ground razors and then slower, heavy draw strops for big wedges and heavy, thick razors.

That makes a lot of sense. I have a 7/8 full wedge and it just doesn’t feel right on the notovan. Might need to get something with heavier draw for that (that being said it shaves great off the notovan so… who knows)

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Yeah, it is not so much a performance thing as it is the feedback to the user. For me at least a heavy, "meat chopper" razor just feels out of control zipping down a slick strop and a paper thin, full hollow gets bogged down on high draw strops like latigo or the 827.

In the end both get a great edge to shave with but the sensory experience of stropping is enhanced with having a certain draw/razor combo and there may well be a different combo that feels good to other people.

F

ffourteen

So, with that in mind, would I be able to strop the meat chopper on the back side of the notovan (or any slick strop with a rough obverse)?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
So, with that in mind, would I be able to strop the meat chopper on the back side of the notovan (or any slick strop with a rough obverse)?

Certainly, that may provide just the amount of friction you need and because the Notovan is relatively thin and so supple it should conform to the blade no matter which side is used, unlike a convexed strop from stiffer material.

F

ffourteen

I'm going to be trying this ASAP.

Certainly, that may provide just the amount of friction you need and because the Notovan is relatively thin and so supple it should conform to the blade no matter which side is used, unlike a convexed strop from stiffer material.

Wow. Between the Tony Miller Roughout and now the new Steerdovan, I believe all my strop needs have been readily met.
Looking like there’s gonna be some strops on BST pretty soon.

Last edited:
F

ffourteen

Well, I took the heavy wedge tonthe back of the notovan, nice slow draw, good feedback. Much better than having it slip across the smooth side. Haven’t shaved with it yet but will update once I do.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Well, I took the heavy wedge tonthe back of the notovan, nice slow draw, good feedback. Much better than having it slip across the smooth side. Haven’t shaved with it yet but will update once I do.

I do think the wedges do better with more friction. The Notovan was pretty smooth stuff and would be too little friction for me with a heavy razor. Glad the back side lets you use it now.

F

ffourteen

I do think the wedges do better with more friction. The Notovan was pretty smooth stuff and would be too little friction for me with a heavy razor. Glad the back side lets you use it now.
And it shaved well too! That’s going to be the routine for the wedge from now on. It’s still slippery on the linen though.

I just ordered a 3” plain vanilla. This is my first strop. Is there anything I need to do to it or get for it? I am 100% new to this.

You need to just rub it with the flat of your hand before use and as far as what you need to get is more razors to strop on it

I just ordered a 3” plain vanilla. This is my first strop. Is there anything I need to do to it or get for it? I am 100% new to this.
Just rub it good with your hand until it is warm before you shave, and enjoy it. My Plain Vanilla is the finest strop I own, and I own several. The workmanship, down to the finest detail, is scrupulously done.
He is my number one recommendation for newbies looking for a good strop.
Strops at almost twice the price pale in comparison.

I can’t wait. The strop and razor have shipped. I am really glad I found this forum because I was able to learn a lot and find out about some great companies. It really is mind boggling how deep and complex the straight razor world is.

Top Bottom