What's new

Shout out to Kayak Fishermen

I just bought an anchor trolly but haven’t installed it yet. I’m really not wanting to drill holes in my yak. What are your thoughts on anchor trolleys?

I have a drop anchor and quick release with a float. I’m not keen on drilling into it, but I bought a rudder system for mine, so I will shortly.

What depths do you fish in most? I'm in water 4 to 10 ft often so I purchased an 8 ft ParkNpole to use with the anchor trolley. Unfortunately, FedX delivered it to a wrong address and can't seem to locate it.
Let me know how that rudder works. I don't have one and I don't know anyone who uses one. I kayak fish generally to get away from folks and enjoy a bit of alone time so my experience with kayaks is really just from what I use.

I have done rivers, lakes, and in a bay(Gulf of Mexico) around Rockport, TX. It doesn’t take much at all to anchor.
What type of kayak? Mine is a 12’ Manta Ray. My son’s is a 10’ Perception Sport.

I have a Wilderness Systems ATAK 140. I really like it but was very cumbersome getting it in and out of the back of my truck so I bought a small trailer last year.

I built this out of an old boat trailer. The racks have different settings so I could also load one 4-wheeler under them and another in front of them. I later bought a small toolbox that fits on the frame, in front of the front rail.
6630D5C8-9D52-44F1-ABB5-E899A4D3C379.jpeg

It’s much easier that mounting it on the roof. I wish I could have found a tandem jet-ski trailer. That would have been perfect.

I bought a Right On kayak trailer from Vide Kayaks. It was the most affordable I could find but it's very narrow making backing up a pain in the butt.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Dont fish but use a rudder on ocean kayaks wilderness system but forget the model. I dont use the rudder often as in most conditions i can stay under control with the paddles. Transportation is difficult. Use roof racks. I got a few smaller little tubs to use at the beach but you get what you pay for there. Ive been buzzed by someone casting off shore before i always forget to pack a knife my fear is getting caught with an errant hook.

The WS rudder system is definitely worth it. You go where you want without corrective paddling, the steering is done with your feet. Using one for a week was enough to help me decide to drop the coin to get one. I'll be sinking/gluing my fish finder in the hull this Spring too.

You see? That’s what I was wondering. I can paddle steer all day which is why I never understood the need for a rudder. I learned to paddle in an old school canoe. Steering is not a problem so I asked, why do we need a rudder?

You see? That’s what I was wondering. I can paddle steer all day which is why I never understood the need for a rudder. I learned to paddle in an old school canoe. Steering is not a problem so I asked, why do we need a rudder?
I grew up canoeing too and still have pretty good skills. Good enough to doubt the need for a rudder, until I actually used one. It's a luxury, not a necessity. A rudder is really nice when you're working with(actually against) a current. Paddle steering seems to do so with more resistance than guidance-it slows me down. Rudder steering does feel like it does not create added resistance.
I still jump at opportunities to canoe, but certainly appreciate my yak. Do you fish lakes or rivers?

Last edited:
That’s great feedback. Thank you! I understand what you are saying and It makes perfect sense.
I fish lakes and rivers close to shore and in wooded marshes. Looking for bass, crappie, sunfish and catfish.

I haven't read any comments from folks that have them and say they don't like them. I've spent quite a bit already for this season so I'll plan on installing one next winter.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The sea kayaks have them built in with foot pedals.seems like a big project to install after no?

The Hobie Propel was a high-dollar rig for going BTB(Beyond The Breakers), out to the oil wells and blue water. It’s a fair trip out there, so peddling beats paddling at the end of the day.
You can’t add peddles like you can add a rudder, fish-finder, night-lights, our-rigger, sail, trolling motor live-wells, and other mods.

I do not have a kayak at home, but will be going to Brazil for a 6 day kayak trip the end of this month. I am also not much a fisherman, but just bought a Yoyito (hand reel) to be able to easily fish for piranha and peacock bass. Does anyone have experience using hand reels?

Top Bottom