What's new

Tennis anyone?

I would not call Stringway machines junk.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
I'm not saying that it is.
I trained a lot of stringers in my day.
Many of the smaller machines are too compromised and do not give professional results.
Shop carefully my friend.

One day I'd like to buy a stringing machine. But for now, especially not being a string breaker, I am happy to have a reliable stringer do the work.

What is each of your favorite of the Grand Slam events?

I wouldn’t own one.
I don’t want to bring my work home with me.
My favorite Slam is the US Open followed by Wimbledon.
One day I'd like to buy a stringing machine. But for now, especially not being a string breaker, I am happy to have a reliable stringer do the work.

What is each of your favorite of the Grand Slam events?

Many of the smaller machines are too compromised and do not give professional results.

If my comments were out of line, I’m sorry.
I’ve done too much home stringer repair and restoration work.
My bad.
You know how to string and get the results you want.

I wouldn’t own one.
I don’t want to bring my work home with me.
My favorite Slam is the US Open followed by Wimbledon.

That is a most fair point. When I used to have easy access to a stringing machine some people would try and hit me up for free string jobs. A few, not just the labor did they want for free, but they wanted me to use my own string. Needless to say that did not happen. Of course I'd gladly string for a few of my close friends.

Grand Slam wise, I love the tradition of Wimbledon, so I rate that first. That said, the electric energy of the U.S. Open has me rate it a very close second. I love the energy of the night matches.

That is a most fair point. When I used to have easy access to a stringing machine some people would try and hit me up for free string jobs. A few, not just the labor did they want for free, but they wanted me to use my own string. Needless to say that did not happen. Of course I'd gladly string for a few of my close friends.

Grand Slam wise, I love the tradition of Wimbledon, so I rate that first. That said, the electric energy of the U.S. Open has me rate it a very close second. I love the energy of the night matches.
I agree. That and assisting home stringers and teaching new stringers.
I also enjoy local tournaments.
Good players and friends at our level are fun to watch.

So I've had the following stringing machines:
  • Eagnas Flex 940
  • Gamma X-2
  • Gamma Progression 2 602
  • Alpha Pioneer DC Plus
  • Silent Partner e.Stringer
  • Stringway ML100 with T98 fixed clamps
  • Gamma 6004
  • Prince Neos 1500 (my current machine)
The machines do make a difference but I would say it's at least 75% technique and skill. Learning to string ain't that difficult. Anyone who has mastered double edge wet shaving can easily learn how to do it.

"Professional results" can be debatable. How professional are the stringers at most tennis shops/clubs, big box sports stores? I once saw a kid step all over loose natural gut while stringing on a high end Babolat electronic machine at a club. At tournaments, the stringers have to be good and fast (~15 min a racquet). When I am stringing a lot (during the summer), I'm usually ~30-40 min from start to end (cutting strings out to putting the vibration dampener back on).

Very happy to learn there are some tennis fans on this forum! I’m a tennis pro at a country club in California. My all time favorite racquet is a Babolat pure storm limited. They’ve been discontinued for awhile so my current racquet is a Prince 95 Tour.

• Eagnas Flex 940
  • Gamma X-2
  • Alpha Pioneer DC Plus
  • Gamma 6004
The machines do make a difference but I would say it's at least 75% technique and skill. Learning to string ain't that difficult. Anyone who has mastered double edge wet shaving can easily learn how to do it.

"Professional results" can be debatable. How professional are the stringers at most tennis shops/clubs, big box sports stores? I once saw a kid step all over loose natural gut while stringing on a high end Babolat electronic machine at a club. At tournaments, the stringers have to be good and fast (~15 min a racquet). When I am stringing a lot (during the summer), I'm usually ~30-40 min from start to end (cutting strings out to putting the vibration dampener back on).
  • Eagnas Flex 940
  • Gamma X-2
  • Alpha Pioneer DC Plus
  • Gamma 6004

You certainly know your way around then. And your point about stringers is well made. I had been stringing about three years before I learned from an experienced stringer and I was then on my way. Our store had a long history as a ski and tennis shop. The owners were all state and nationally ranked.
A great place to be during the tennis boom of the 60’s and 70’s.
I received training from Head, Wilson, Donnay, and Yonex.
Our clientele was the competitive tournament player and Club player.
The training I received was excellent.
It made all the difference.
I was invited to string at the US Open twice. It was a blast
Very happy to learn there are some tennis fans on this forum! I’m a tennis pro at a country club in California. My all time favorite racquet is a Babolat pure storm limited. They’ve been discontinued for awhile so my current racquet is a Prince 95 Tour.

Welcome to the Tennis Forum.
I used to play with that racquet too.
I was the assistant manager at a tennis center. Have you checked out the new Wilson Clash? A soft flex with increased stability. Looks like they have a new old idea.

Hi King James,

Welcome aboard! It’s nice to see our small tennis group here growing in numbers.

Best,
John

When starting out, one can learn more about stringing with a simple, manual machine than a fancy machine like a Wilson Bairdo. Simple machines can be used to string at the highest levels.

You certainly know your way around then. And your point about stringers is well made. I had been stringing about three years before I learned from an experienced stringer and I was then on my way. Our store had a long history as a ski and tennis shop. The owners were all state and nationally ranked.
I was invited to string at the US Open twice. It was a blast.

You might be able to answer a question of mine then... Most top pros play polyester or a polyester hybrid and have their strings cut out every night and restrung regardless of whether the racquets were used for a match or not, adjusting the tension for temperature, humidity, altitude.... The poly in this case never really gets to "settle". So I have been conjecturing that the Pros are looking for consistency more so than playability and the only way to guarantee that is with a freshly strung racquet. For recreational play with poly, the first couple of plays/hitting sessions, the poly loses tension quickly and then settles. ~20Hrs later, it goes dead and has to be cut out otherwise one risks injury.

I was invited to string at the US Open twice. It was a blast

Welcome to the Tennis Forum.
I used to play with that racquet too.
I was the assistant manager at a tennis center. Have you checked out the new Wilson Clash? A soft flex with increased stability. Looks like they have a new old idea.
I have not. The next best racquet I’ve used to my Babolat is probably a Wilson six.one 95 18x20. Alas, also now hard to find. On the topic of stringing. Has anyone here taken either the Master racquet technician or certified stringer exam through the USRSA? Set to take it in March and was curious.
Hi King James,

Welcome aboard! It’s nice to see our small tennis group here growing in numbers.

Best,
John
Thank you John!

When starting out, one can learn more about stringing with a simple, manual machine than a fancy machine like a Wilson Bairdo. Simple machines can be used to string at the highest levels.

You are right on, sir!
The want all their racquets the same.
If the vary, they will likely sit in the bag. Your observations about Polys are accurate. Time is a luxury the pros don’t have. The racquets hav to be right.

You might be able to answer a question of mine then... Most top pros play polyester or a polyester hybrid and have their strings cut out every night and restrung regardless of whether the racquets were used for a match or not, adjusting the tension for temperature, humidity, altitude.... The poly in this case never really gets to "settle". So I have been conjecturing that the Pros are looking for consistency more so than playability and the only way to guarantee that is with a freshly strung racquet. For recreational play with poly, the first couple of plays/hitting sessions, the poly loses tension quickly and then settles. ~20Hrs later, it goes dead and has to be cut out otherwise one risks injury.

I have not. The next best racquet I’ve used to my Babolat is probably a Wilson six.one 95 18x20. Alas, also now hard to find. On the topic of stringing. Has anyone here taken either the Master racquet technician or certified stringer exam through the USRSA? Set to take it in March and was curious.

Thank you John!
I was the first person in my area to get 100% on the USRSA exam.
I didn’t sit for the Masters certificate because I went to get a real job.
I’m sure you’ll do fine.
Ed

Hi King James,

Best,
John
Hope it is going well or you, John.
Getting ready to pop for some new sneaks.
Ran into one of my old bosses.
He is now the Dunlop Tennis representative.
We're going to go hit some new frames.
He was instrumental in taking stringing to the net level.
It was great to see John again.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I always enjoy getting new sneakers for Tennis. I have a couple of extra pairs, but am always on the lookout for a new release. Please do post here to let us know what you end up liking.

Very cool about hitting with your old friend. Cosmetically, I loved the Dunlop from a few years ago that was painted to look almost like a wooden tennis racquet.

On a Tennis note, I often listen to Tennis books to relax. The only problem is I think I’ve about purchased all that are available. In any event, yesterday I purchased the book Zen Tennis. I hope to give it a listen in the next couple of weeks.

Best,
John

Hi Ed,

I always enjoy getting new sneakers for Tennis. I have a couple of extra pairs, but am always on the lookout for a new release. Please do post here to let us know what you end up liking.

Very cool about hitting with your old friend. Cosmetically, I loved the Dunlop from a few years ago that was painted to look almost like a wooden tennis racquet.

On a Tennis note, I often listen to Tennis books to relax. The only problem is I think I’ve about purchased all that are available. In any event, yesterday I purchased the book Zen Tennis. I hope to give it a listen in the next couple of weeks.

Best,
John

Going with either the Adidas Bounce or the Prince T22.
I need the arch support and cushion.
I haven’t played witH Dunlop since the Maxply Fort. I certainly liked their braided graphite frames and the 300 G.
That was a nice frame you mentioned.
I think it was one of the Mc Enroe series. My train is approaching the stop. Talk later.

Last fall's racquet restringing. NXT @ 65 lbs.
Time to restring and get new shoes.
Spring ladders start March first.
Time to get ready!

Top Bottom