What's new

Watch Bands

The Why
I have large wrists. Standard expansion bands are too tight. Occasionally the strap bands are too short. Most of the time I change out the bands.

The Problem
A cheap Walmart that looks snappy as a dress watch, but the expansion band is too tight. Unfortunately, it's 14mm, and the only thing I can find in that are women's watch bands.

The Problem, Part II
For expansion watch bands, I prefer Speidel Twist-O-Flex. The last time I changed one out was about twenty-one years ago, when a family member was in the hospital and my watch band broke. The nearby pharmacy had a long Speidel Twist-O-Flex, and I installed it with the point of my pocket knife. So, of course I check out Speidel. That gave me the novelty of seeing watch bands worth more than the Walmart watch, and over half that of the watch I put the band on over two decades ago.

The Question
For a cheap watch, is it even worth changing the band? I'm looking at the Timex that I put the band on over twenty years ago, and asking if it rates another (the current band is a bit sprung). I'm looking at prices and going "No."

The Question, Part II
Can you even get a man's watch band in 14mm without going women's band slim? It makes me wonder why the Walmart men's watches are this small where you attach the watch band.

I suspect it may be difficult to find a brand new 14mm band that is also extra long. You might find some NOS twist-o-flex on eBay. I saw some new & old in 18mm when searching months ago but I don't recall the pricing. You might get lucky and find a new one for a few dollars.

Esslinger sells longer expansion bands in this lug width. The are inexpensive.

Alternatively, would you consider leather, nylon, or perlon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2
This may explain why the watch and strap are too small for you

Walmart off-brand watches tend to have outlaw bands. One of my favorite had a rubber type band, but with an extra piece that fits into the watch case. Completely non-standard. This one had 14mm mounting points, but the band itself is 18mm. My power hungry Casio has a band that's 20mm wide at the buckle. If this were a regular brand watch instead of a Walmart, the band would be 18mm throughout. I'm a fairly big man, and have had difficulty getting my elbow through the cuff of those pharmacy blood pressure machines.

If you're in Walmart, you can probably find this watch. Just mosey over to the cheap watches, the ones on the low shelves and not on the jewelry case, and go over to the men's watches. This one is silver, with day and date. You won't be able to see the back, but if you look close, you can see the narrow attachment point from the front. Looks really nice.

Esslinger sells longer expansion bands in this lug width. The are inexpensive.

Alternatively, would you consider leather, nylon, or perlon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was just thinking about something other than metal. Usually I don't use them because of the sweat issue, but that's not a big point with a dress watch. For work watches I don't go metal expansion band, either, usually picking watches with rubber type bands.

FWIW, have seldom run into the length issue with sport watches and rubber type bands. I might have it in the next to the last slot, but they fit. Even the power hungry Casio band fits.

...... This one had 14mm mounting points, but the band itself is 18mm......
Your response reminds me of why I did not buy that inexpensive expansion watch band off eBay for a few dollars last year. The end segment which fits into the lugs was spring loaded in order to fit a wide variety of lug widths. While the rest of the band might have been 16mm or 18mm wide. My concern was that the spring loaded end piece would end up scratching the lugs of my $200+ watch. Even though I wanted to try a flexible expansion band for the nostalgia. And to see if I liked it or not.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Walmart off-brand watches tend to have outlaw bands. One of my favorite had a rubber type band, but with an extra piece that fits into the watch case. Completely non-standard. This one had 14mm mounting points, but the band itself is 18mm. My power hungry Casio has a band that's 20mm wide at the buckle. If this were a regular brand watch instead of a Walmart, the band would be 18mm throughout. I'm a fairly big man, and have had difficulty getting my elbow through the cuff of those pharmacy blood pressure machines.

If you're in Walmart, you can probably find this watch. Just mosey over to the cheap watches, the ones on the low shelves and not on the jewelry case, and go over to the men's watches. This one is silver, with day and date. You won't be able to see the back, but if you look close, you can see the narrow attachment point from the front. Looks really nice.
while cheap they dont seem to last maybe look for 20mm lug size in your next watch might be a better fit especially if you are large boned.

My Glycine, Seiko, and the few Ball watches I have are mostly 22 and 20 mm lug width with a couple 18mm. I honestly have not seen a men's watch with a 14mm width band.

lots of nice 30-70 dollar watches on the Bay. every watch I have posted on here has come from the Bay, and with the exception of the Omegas, all under 75 bucks

Legion

Staff member
You might need to try and find a NOS vintage watch band. Watches in "the olden days" (50's,60's) were generally smaller, but presumably mens wrists were much the same.

Top Bottom