What's new

Razor Return Policy

Should you be able to return razors after trying them out?

• Total voters
I feel the price is irrelevant. Once a razor has touched a face, it’s been used. If the vendors policy states no returns on used items, it’s yours.

Only if the merchant would not re-sell those as brand new.
I really can't be sure about it.

What is the luck of the returning razors? Do they clean them thoroughly and re-sell them as new? Do they give them to friends and Youtube reviewers? I think nobody can be sure about it.

Only thing I know is that if I give $200 for a razor from a vendor and not from the BST forum section, I want it new and unused. Can they (Blackland, Timeless and Oneblade for example) guarantee this?

Only thing I know is that if I give $200 for a razor from a vendor and not from the BST forum section, I want it new and unused. Can they (Blackland, Timeless and Oneblade for example) guarantee this?
I would certainly think that if someone was putting out the price for one of the premium razors and were a unsure of spending that much then by all means they should buy the new razor and not the used one because as pointed out already most of them have a good return policy in place, but say for instance if you have tried a particular brand and know of how it performs then getting it from the BST or similar would be the way to go.

Up until about 4-6 months ago the only razor you could purchase from Matt @ Timeless was a new one. He just added the returns section recently. I emailed Matt a short while back and he said he either kept what was returned of PIF'd to friends and family around where they are at. I can't speak for mfg's like Wolfman, Paradigm, Raw, Barbaros, RE, Tatara, or a few others as they don't have a return section but they all have a pretty respectable resale value in most BST's there probably aren't many returned... I do think that if you are requesting a new razor then that is what you'll get from them.

I'm sure all of these artisan razor manufacturers sell more inventory because people feel like they are taking no risk by having the option to return it, and probably get very few actual returns. Avi (Raw Shaving) said he's never had a single return. Only once, and the person re-bought it again.
So in the end, I think it's a smart business move to offer returns if you're selling premium razors. If it wasn't, we would have already seen companies stop offering this option.

While you are disappointed by the sellers return policy, a bright side is that you know you’ll be getting new goods from them each and every time. Lesser quality vendors with a more lenient return policy just might be toothbrushing these bad boys and putting them back up for sale as new!

I really can't be sure about it.

What is the luck of the returning razors? Do they clean them thoroughly and re-sell them as new? Do they give them to friends and Youtube reviewers? I think nobody can be sure about it.

This is what Shane from Blackland said in my thread.

About the warranty-

Off topic: I can't speak for all razor companies, but returns should be baked into the business model. You shouldn't feel bad for using the return policy offered by a company because the option to do so has already been priced in. Additionally, I prefer that unhappy customers return their razors rather than being stuck with it or offloading at a lower price. Having a return sucks, but the publicity hit of a new razor being sold quickly on the BST is worse. Also, a customer is more likely to return to buy a different razor in the future if they don't have to face the prospect of possibly having to dump it on the BST if they don't like it. I'm certain other companies feel the same way.

TL;DR, please take advantage of return policies if you dislike a product. Companies put them in place for a reason.

About what he does with returned razors-

I don't get many, thankfully. The ones I do get are used for photos, sent to test finishes, become my personal razors, etc.

If you buy a vintage razor (certain to be already used) and it is not as described, you should be able to return it. If you buy a new razor and use it, health regulations apply and you probably can't return it. Understandable since one drop of bad blood can kill you. In our ambulance chasing legalistic society retailers can't take the chance.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I feel the price is irrelevant. Once a razor has touched a face, it’s been used. If the vendors policy states no returns on used items, it’s yours.

This is how I feel /\ , now if there is a defect that is a different story.
People try and find that magic razor and want to get the next best thing to come out
and go through many razors . why should a vendor pay for your learning curve .

Avi (Raw Shaving) said he's never had a single return. Only once, and the person re-bought it again.
I do believe this falls under the oxymoron example, right? He in fact had a return, doesn't matter if it was purchased again and it was probably a new razor that that person received and not the returned item!! To be honest, Avi hasn't been in business long enough honestly to have sold enough razors so I don't think his company is the best example here. On top of that, he has only a 14 day policy whereas others that are priced less expensive have 30 day policies... Just my opinion here...
If you buy a vintage razor (certain to be already used) and it is not as described, you should be able to return it.
Lets not confuse "not as described" with "I just don't like it" as the OP pointed out in the beginning here!! That is a topic for a whole other thread...

I would never purchase a $200 highly subjective product that I couldn’t return. So I don’t expect my customers to either. Thankfully most razor makers seem to feel the same way.

I would never purchase a $200 highly subjective product that I couldn’t return. So I don’t expect my customers to either. Thankfully most razor makers seem to feel the same way.
Personally, I can't understand the return policy. There are many highly subjective products that are expensive and hard to get. If I use something, it's mine. If I buy something but not use it for some reason, I will return it in due time.
What about cell phones? If I buy an Iphone and don't like it, can I return it and get my money back after using it for a month? No.
Or a trimmer. Can I use an expensive trimmer, return it and get my money back? No.

The return rates are not high, so offering it is another diversification. It's all about marketing. Good for you that you offer such a facilitation, but I don't get your reasoning.

Personally, I can't understand the return policy. There are many highly subjective products that are expensive and hard to get. If I use something, it's mine. If I buy something but not use it for some reason, I will return it in due time.
What about cell phones? If I buy an Iphone and don't like it, can I return it and get my money back after using it for a month? No.
Or a trimmer. Can I use an expensive trimmer, return it and get my money back? No.

The return rates are not high, so offering it is another diversification. It's all about marketing. Good for you that you offer such a facilitation, but I don't get your reasoning.

You made me curious so I just went and looked it up. Apple gives you 15 days to return your opened iPhone and Remington will let you return a used trimmer for 60 days. Modern consumers, myself included, expect most things to be returnable. I think it’s wonderful.

You made me curious so I just went and looked it up. Apple gives you 15 days to return your opened iPhone and Remington will let you return a used trimmer for 60 days. Modern consumers, myself included, expect most things to be returnable. I think it’s wonderful.
I agree. Plus, you can't compare a cell phone or even a trimmer with a razor.

Personally, I can't. That's what I meant. I wouldn't feel ok with this. Like I said, if I use something, it's mine. I shouldn't have bought it in the first place, if I'm not sure I like it.
That's just me. It may sounds strange, but if I'm not sure about a purchase, I won't proceed to the final checkout.
I believe most gents share the same reasoning with me and that's why the return rates are not high at all.
And I'm sure that there's a small group of consumers that all they do is trying everything, return them in due time, get their money back and that goes on. That could get businesses shut down.

Personally, I can't. That's what I meant. I wouldn't feel ok with this. Like I said, if I use something, it's mine. I shouldn't have bought it in the first place, if I'm not sure I like it.
That's just me. It may sounds strange, but if I'm not sure about a purchase, I won't proceed to the final checkout.
I believe most gents share the same reasoning with me and that's why the return rates are not high at all.
And I'm sure that there's a small group of consumers that all they do is trying everything, return them in due time, get their money back and that goes on. That could get businesses shut down.

Thankfully you’re in the majority and most customers are considerate and thoughtful like you. Returns are rare. Still, I’d much rather a customer return a razor he disliked than take a loss on the BST.

A phone is going to perform exactly the same way regardless of who owns it. It's not subject to ear shape, finger length etc.
But many don't have the chance to test it before buying it. They just look at online reviews and Youtube videos. The same thing happens here, about razors etc.

Top Bottom