What's new

Micromatic Monday

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
@Flintstone65 I think the looks of the push button grew on me faster, the black plastic verses the white plastic just looks better to me.
I see it that way too, but in general, I think I'm just an ageist (older the better)....and I just saw another vote come in for the PB, even as I type this.

I see it that way too, but in general, I think I'm just an ageist (older the better)....and I just saw another vote come in for the PB, even as I type this.
I tend to agree. I'm picking up some later versions in pristine condition while still available. Out thread here has caused a lot of love and use of GEM razors. I'm very pleased.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
@Flintstone65 I think the looks of the push button grew on me faster, the black plastic verses the white plastic just looks better to me.
That Being said I would probably pick up the featherweight first owing to @Ron R and his review of how good it is for the taming of a new blade.
I used a GEM Feather weight for about 3 weeks of daily shaving with no regrets, no irritation and nicks and was really good for breaking a new blade in. I was in Mexico and sanitation is not always high as back home so getting nicks and irritation is not wanted at all and the feather weight did a excellent job of that IMO. I like the MMBT also and is similar in performance but to nice for me to travel with so the Feather weight was a better choice. The Feather weight should get you a CCS>Bbs if technique is dialed in and that is easy after a few shaves. Enjoy the Gem shaves!

Flintstone65

All this talk of the Feather weight and the Push button have got me itching to break one out for Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday)....and I will....but not this particular Monday. I will be using a mostly-new-to-me (2nd shave) GEM...and this baby IS A GEM. It's identify shall remain undisclosed for now, but I am slated to have an AWESOME GEMonday.

So let me put the "ask" out early....who will be joining in for Micromatic Monday / GEMonday???
Don't be shy, step right up!!!:badger:

I saw a cheap GEM push button at an antique store yesterday.

I resisted buying since I've blown my budget this month on several other razors and Valentine's Day but it was very tempting

I’m in. Haven’t made a decision with which. Probably with a straight of some century old vintage.

With all this talk it might be the PB or G Bar

Ron R

All this talk of the Feather weight and the Push button have got me itching to break one out for Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday)....and I will....but not this particular Monday. I will be using a mostly-new-to-me (2nd shave) GEM...and this baby IS A GEM. It's identify shall remain undisclosed for now, but I am slated to have an AWESOME GEMonday.

So let me put the "ask" out early....who will be joining in for Micromatic Monday / GEMonday???
Don't be shy, step right up!!!:badger:
I should be there, enjoy FRED the GEM lather catcher in the mean time. Just guessing.....:001_tongu:001_smile.

I am on record for MMM with the MMCP. I might be on the road, though...

Nothing wrong with the ‘56 Chevy either. Next door neighbor drove the ‘59, always thought it was going to slice me in two. Jumping to the other side, driving my Dad’s ‘69 Mercury Cougar in high school was pretty sweet.

But can a mere car or even a PB compete with whatever Fred has up his sleeve?

@Ron R if I understand correctly, you are saying the Bullet tip and the featherweight shave about equally. I really love the look of the bullet tip, so if they are about equal I would pick one of them up first. That said, I really want a good razor for taming new blades, so in your opinion what is the best gem stile blade tamer?

Ron R

@Ron R if I understand correctly, you are saying the Bullet tip and the featherweight shave about equally. I really love the look of the bullet tip, so if they are about equal I would pick one of them up first. That said, I really want a good razor for taming new blades, so in your opinion what is the best gem stile blade tamer?
Any of the milder Gems should work IMO or just cork the blade. Corking is so controversial to older shavers who do not care for the practice. The chart shows were different Gems are IMO and YMMV.
Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg

For more information on GEMs that is interesting to some folks!
Gem Razor Models

Push Button. I saw it a few minutes before you did. Could be that Twelvefret made it up. :a21: Gotta have some fresh in-group slang for the thread!
Yeah, I made it up. Btw, the gold and black push button was introduced during the holidays of 1958 and why I referenced the iconic ‘57 Chevy. :)

Had a pretty good shave today, Gem MMOC with Gem stainless ptfe 2nd flip. And as usual my wife cleaned up the back of my neck with the Gillette short handle Black Beauty with KAI blade. No brush today because I'm making a new home for the knot on my only brush. Well I have other brushes in the house, but thay aren't really mine. Cella works ok with no brush in a pinch BTW.

20190217_070836_HDR.jpg

Flintstone65

Hi all -- I was away last night and just returned this evening. If I can summarize what I missed, here's what I think I saw/read:
  1. PB doesn't stand for Peanut Butter :nonod:, and @Twelvefret (the maker of the moniker Micromatic Monday) has a way with both acronyms and alliteration!!!:thumbup1:
  2. There is nearly (if not completely) unanimous agreement that each of our shave dens needs at least one model of each GEM -- I suspect some of us are very close to achieving that goal :whistling:
  3. @Ron R continues to be the master of knowledge presentation in the most concise and optimal way....always love those graphs. :punk: Oh yeah, and he has psychic powers when it comes to what I'll be shaving with, despite my cloaked phrasing.:yikes:
  4. @GAW9576 and I use the terms SWMBO and budget interchangeably :a17:
    And while I have never tried Cella brushless, I'm very glad to learn I could in a pinch....very cool! :a14:
Lastly, about a '56 Chevy (even though we were discussing 57's & 58's). My dad had a black '56 when he met and married my mom. His best man (and my Uncle), decorated it with "Just Married" (and other colorful prose) using shaving cream. Apparently even when the cream was removed, the messages remained lightly visible in the paint. Dad loved that car, and over a half-century later, my Uncle relays how unhappy my dad was at the time. That's the lore of the family, and I don't know what brand of cream it was; but most definitely canned.

Okay, back to the business at hand. Micromatic Monday / GEMonday is approaching quickly....we've got many excellent shavers joining in, I want to encourage all those who haven't raised their hand to at least raise your GEM razor on Monday....It's gonna be awesome!!!
:shaving:

So, my daughter once called peanut butter “pea-a-boo” @GAW9576

Many thank you wishes and respect to each of you for making this thread what it is as a source for introducing and informing so many of the wonderful GEM razor is all it many varieties. :a50::a50:

Brother Fred, @Flintstone65 nice rememberance of those old ‘50’s paint jobs. I learned to drive on a ‘55 Ford Farlane.

Top Bottom