What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I got a paper cut on my columella (divider between the nostrils) yesterday. Smelled a cologne sampler that I liked in a magazine. Decided to rub it on my 'stache to smell it for a while. Being too frugal just doesn't pay-off. :)

Ouch.Frowning.Oops..jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Everything has a name. In anatomy most things - every little bump or indentation or crook - have at least one name. Sometimes three.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yesterday by mistake I had on my hands a tiny amount of one of my favorite of the Grooming Dept products, having fairly recently applied it to my face.

GroomingDept.Serum.Rejuvenating.Unscented.480JPG.JPG

However, I rubbed with the heel of my palm the leather surfaces of my nice Professional Strop.

ProfessionalStrop.Side.Brown..JPG

Doing so changed the draw.

I was not happy about this, so I did a good bit of reading on how to clean my strop. What I came across and tried successfully was a very, very simple way of cleaning the strop's leather surfaces.

Professional Strop.Tan.JPG

I rubbed the leather vigorously for a minute or less with the rough surface of my bath towel (Terry cloth, dry since my shower the morning before).

That fixed it.

upload_2019-2-15_13-14-54.jpeg

I'll be more careful.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You could try applying a very small amount of neatsfoot oil to the leather.
Rub a few drops in your hands and then work it into the leather.
Keeps it supple and stops it from drying out.

I've read that some use it to alter the draw on their strop.

I know it's not really related to what you were talking about.
But it's something to consider for general maintenance of your strops.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Everything has a name. In anatomy most things - every little bump or indentation or crook - have at least one name. Sometimes three.

Happy shaves,

Jim
That looks amazingly similar to something I just happened to stumble across before posting, hmm, lets see 9:30 - now, about 7 hours ago.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You could try applying a very small amount of neatsfoot oil to the leather.
Rub a few drops in your hands and then work it into the leather.
Keeps it supple and stops it from drying out.

I've read that some use it to alter the draw on their strop.

I know it's not really related to what you were talking about.
But it's something to consider for general maintenance of your strops.

I read that old barbers would apply lather from a tallow based soap (Arko) to their strops and leave it on. I assume they wiped it off with a towel the next morning. Did they do this daily or occasionally or what? I have no idea. It's just something I came across.

I'm happy with the draw now. It's back to normal. This particular strop has two considerably different leathers with different draws. I like both.

upload_2019-2-15_19-19-49.png

I'll keep the neatsfoot oil in mind, but I'm hoping the little bit of natural human palm oil which the strop receives as I rub it a couple of times a day before my stropping will be enough. Not that I know anything about strops and leather and all that.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've been using this on leathers for over 30 years. Ball gloves, boots, rifle slings, knife sheaths and whatever else needs conditioning or protection.

IMG_3026.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

You can buy it in just about any shoe store. Wipe it on, work it in and buff it off. It also makes leather smell really nice. Its an excellent waterproofing, but if you use it on leather boots it will need application more often. I dont buff it off boots as well as other things.

It will darken leathers a bit but not to an unnatural colour. The sheath below when new was a typical tanned leather colour. On the first use of Mink Oil it darkened and over the years you can see how its worn but its never cracked. The tab with the snap is notorious for cracking.

IMG_2859.jpg

I bought that knife in 1991 and treated the leather when I got it and I have once more over the years before I put it away.

IMG_2854.jpg

As soon as the leather starts to feel dry or tighten up, its time to do it again.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My hiking boots are Gore-Tex, but have leather outers. I used it once a year before starting the snow removal season. Laying salt, sand and ice melt the toes of my boots would get covered, but none of it ever hurt the leather.

My hiking boots are Gore-Tex, but have leather outers. I used it once a year before starting the snow removal season. Laying salt, sand and ice melt the toes of my boots would get covered, but none of it ever hurt the leather.
I was going to say Gore-Tex is good at wicking moisture away, but better to keep it dry in the first place.

Mine said not to apply anything that would prevent the goretex from breathing as designed. I do clean with saddle soap.

How goretex works is to allow smaller sweat moisture to escape and prevent water from entering. Clogging the leather water proofs, but leaves the sweat .

Top Bottom