What's new

Casual conversation leads to potential convert

You're all giving evangelizing a good name. Coming at this on the other end as a long-time cart user (and moderate skeptic of DE benefits), no one gave me The Talk. But I know what got me hooked: real shave cream! Damn. I've been missing out. A tube of Proraso ("anti-irritazionne" white cap) was my gateway drug. From there, i found a barely used Pils silvertip brush on eBay, a perfectly-sized bowl (mortar minus the pestle, from a vintage shop), followed by a Parker Variant razor* . . . I haven't looked back. I love it. It's luxury shaving. All this in a month's time.

It's true: carts worked like a cheese grater on my neck for too long.

[*] I totally get it now. Special thanks to this forum and the many-many DE nuts willing to share and video their experiences.

You're all giving evangelizing a good name. Coming at this on the other end as a long-time cart user (and somewhat skeptical of all the benefits and raves), no one gave me the talk. But I know what got me hooked: real shave cream! Damn. A tube of Proraso ("anti-irritazionne" white cap) was my gateway drug. From there, i found a barely used Pils silvertip brush on eBay, a perfectly-sized bowl (mortar minus the pestle, from a vintage shop), followed by a Parker Variant razor* . . . I haven't looked back. I love it. It's luxury shaving. All this in a month's time.

It's true: carts worked like a cheese grater on my neck for too long.

[*] I totally get it now. Special thanks to this forum and the many-many DE nuts willing to share and video their experiences.
I haven't given my latest recruit anything other than the razor and some blades. I'm waiting for him to get on YouTube to learn about the 1953 Super Speed he has now and start asking questions. I also told him the standard "If you don't like it, don't throw it away and don't sell it, but pass it along."

I haven't given my latest recruit anything other than the razor and some blades. I'm waiting for him to get on YouTube to learn about the 1953 Super Speed he has now and start asking questions. I also told him the standard "If you don't like it, don't throw it away and don't sell it, but pass it along."

Nice. Like a chain letter, only better.

Since starting straights last April my DEs, EJ DE89 and Parker 26C open comb, have not been feeling the love. So I've started loaning then out for a couple of weeks with a tuck of Astra SPs, a brush, and a soap or cream.

Four loans since April and three conversions (jury is still out on the last one). Hoping to arrange a fifth loan this weekend.

Spread the love ...

iu.gif

[QUOTE="ignatius_pdx, post: 9689619, member: 121614 ...I know what got me hooked: real shave cream! Damn. I've been missing out. A tube of Proraso ("anti-irritazionne" white cap) was my gateway drug...[/QUOTE]

This just reminded me that’s how I started. My shave with a cartridge went to another level with a good cream I tried out of pure curiosity.

I’ve converted several people by gifting DE razors. All of which are friends and close colleagues. They really appreciate the cool factor of something shiny. Then the curiosity sets in and they start asking how to use it and how much blades cost.

I’ve gifted 7 Merker razors over the years - most of which are 42c 1904. A mild razor, looks good, vintage vibe, German quality, plus wicked good value. All of them get used - not all them daily - but they are appreciated.

A few guys switched from $1 cart club to pennies DE club because they were looking save $ in the first place.

I do agree with Ignatius - quality shave cream is a great place to start. Can be a big upgrade to something already familiar. Then begins the journey to find the next level shave.

Can't say I fully converted anyone, but my brother trims his beard with a DE I gave him. He also agreed it felt better than carts.
I also gave a Super Speed to my Brother in law and he uses it when he have the time and doesn't use his electric shaver.

I gave my BIL a Rockwell 2C, a synthetic brush, tucks of blades that I had 100 packs of, a tub ob Porasso white, and a stick of Arko. He now looks forward to shaving with that set up, and he loves Arko!

The best evangelism comes out of our love and joy of a hobby, practice, or lifestyle. It tends to be passive and active.
We are all evangelists of something.

Four loans since April and three conversions (jury is still out on the last one). Hoping to arrange a fifth loan this weekend.

As of today my DE razors have been loaned out 5 times with 4 converts in the last 11 months. I don't consider myself evangelical, but perhaps I should rethink that.

On top of that my 24 year-old son called me last week to say he was interested. Sent him an EJ DE89, Maggard's Black & White, C. O. Bigelow cream, and an alum block. And today we did our first Father-and-son shave together via What's App! He managed three passes on his neck (likes scruff on his cheeks) with minimal irritation and kept saying "Wow! This feels GREAT!" throughout the shave and after. (He did complain a bit when he applied the alum.) On the other hand, my shave with the same set-up was not so great. I've lost my DE touch in the past year of straight shaving. Result is better than SAS, but not quite DFS. Ah well! So fun to shave the same set-up as my boy.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
As of today my DE razors have been loaned out 5 times with 4 converts in the last 11 months. I don't consider myself evangelical, but perhaps I should rethink that.

On top of that my 24 year-old son called me last week to say he was interested. Sent him an EJ DE89, Maggard's Black & White, C. O. Bigelow cream, and an alum block. And today we did our first Father-and-son shave together via What's App! He managed three passes on his neck (likes scruff on his cheeks) with minimal irritation and kept saying "Wow! This feels GREAT!" throughout the shave and after. (He did complain a bit when he applied the alum.) On the other hand, my shave with the same set-up was not so great. I've lost my DE touch in the past year of straight shaving. Result is better than SAS, but not quite DFS. Ah well! So fun to shave the same set-up as my boy.
That sounds awesome. Cant wait for those days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I linked an article about the rip-off that is cartridge razors on my FB page, and ended up having a friend buy a Weishi TTO, 100 Astra SPs, and start grilling me about brushes and soaps. Score one for the good guys.

A friend of mine said that he used to announce 'time for a shave' and shave with his sons. Recently, after his sons had left home, he made his announcement and his daughter said 'OK let's go'. She lathered up with him and then squeegeed it off with a butter knife while taking selfies of the bonding ritual with dad.

Top Bottom