What's new

GEM Damaskeene SE Razor

And here's a blurry pic of the last Damaskeene @spidey9 was referring to next to the older GEM Cutlery version
proxy.php

I have a GEM of the one pictured on the right. I was really shocked at the handle length when I get mine. It's a fantastic shaver though.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
First Damaskeene shave today! I have at least a dozen SE razors I've acquired in the wild but haven't used. Too many great razors, but not enough time. I really like the Clog Pruf micromatic, and the featherweight. But this Damaskeene is in another league entirely. Smooth as silk. Super close shave results. And no weepers or irritation. Fabulous! Why'd I wait so long to try this one? Maybe because it looks like a medieval torture implement. But I'm convinced. This is one great shaver! I can see it making the regular rotation.

IMG_0681.JPG

First Damaskeene shave today! I have at least a dozen SE razors I've acquired in the wild but haven't used. Too many great razors, but not enough time. I really like the Clog Pruf micromatic, and the featherweight. But this Damaskeene is in another league entirely. Smooth as silk. Super close shave results. And no weepers or irritation. Fabulous! Why'd I wait so long to try this one? Maybe because it looks like a medieval torture implement. But I'm convinced. This is one great shaver! I can see it making the regular rotation.

View attachment 865475

Despite this being an older thread I felt the need to give a thumbs-up to the "mediaeval torture device" comment. I only recently purchased my first Damaskeene and it sat on my medicine cabinet shelf for at least a week until I worked up the courage to try it. But boy...am I glad I did!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The A.S.R corner stone razor was the 1912 Damaskeene it set the highest razor standard IMO. I have a GEM 1912, a clone of the Damaskeene and that razor I just started using and it is a brilliant operating razor & end results are spectacular, that razor will always be used in my rotation of razors, I get great shaves from the 1912 DFS>BBS and no irritation, just a smooth close shave that is hard to beat by anything out there. All future Gem razors had some of the 1912 specs thrown into future new models like blade gabs, spring loading caps, similar weights...... & built to last generations.
If you want a high efficient razor that is not overly aggressive the 1912 would be a great choice IMO.
I suggest a Gem SS Personna PTFE blade brand new in a this old reliable razor should get you great results you deserve.
Have some great Gem shaves!

The A.S.R corner stone razor was the 1912 Damaskeene it set the highest razor standard IMO. I have a GEM 1912, a clone of the Damaskeene and that razor I just started using and it is a brilliant operating razor & end results are spectacular, that razor will always be used in my rotation of razors, I get great shaves from the 1912 DFS>BBS and no irritation, just a smooth close shave that is hard to beat by anything out there. All future Gem razors had some of the 1912 specs thrown into future new models like blade gabs, spring loading caps, similar weights...... & built to last generations.
If you want a high efficient razor that is not overly aggressive the 1912 would be a great choice IMO.
I suggest a Gem SS Personna PTFE blade brand new in a this old reliable razor should get you great results you deserve.
Have some great Gem shaves!
I agree with you re: the Gem SS Personna blades. One of the great things about SE shaving is that there are so few blade choices—it keeps me from obsessing over it!

Ron R

I agree with you re: the Gem SS Personna blades. One of the great things about SE shaving is that there are so few blade choices—it keeps me from obsessing over it!
No doubt about coatings on blades can make a difference, Personna made the tungsten 74 blade that almost drove them out of business because they lasted to long and were expensive to MFG IMO. Coatings have there place but yet I have used just 7oClock (green) stainless blades and get some great shaves and last 5-7 shaves or the GSB (Teflon) blades that are awesome. The SE blades are a thicker blade .009 thousands of a inch thickness were most DE blades are .003-.004 thickness and that is a factor that can make a difference when clamping a blade. Personna SS PTFE blade is a great blade for sharpness and I already got 7 shaves on one before testing of another Gem razor and I wanted to start with a fresh blade. So most DE razor blades would cost a person about $.03 to $.05 per shave were a SE would average about $.05 to $.17> per shave depending on beard type & SE system the person is using and get just as good a shave => IMO. I can buy 100 gem Personna SS PTFE blades for about $20.00($.20 per blade) US at Connaught uk shipped, I think Te_ Pella sells them for a little more in the USA when buying large #s. In Canada I find it harder to find a supplier of GEM blades at a reasonable price with shipping costs added on- shipping in Canada is higher than in USA and that is a negative for business transactions.

Last edited:

Ron R

Every time that I test a new blade I do a review and place the blade were it performed the best for myself and possibly it may help others if not sure what to buy in the future needs. GEM Personna SS PTFE really impressed me and it has moved up to #1 for now, I received some perfect mating of this Blade with the GEM 1912 razor and I'm very pleased. I like the sharp and smooth crossing over into the Sharpest area for my beard type on the old school picture chart IMO. There are other important factors that I have considered like cost and longevity,metal material & coatings but it gets complicated and I'm not into that science right know. When a blade is a little rough 1st shave or 2 and smooths out it usually indicates high sharpness from my experiences.
Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg

When a blade is a little rough 1st shave or 2 and smooths out it usually indicates high sharpness from my experiences.

I agree, 1st and 2nd shave on the GEM SS PTFE, are the most efficient for me.

I would love to see how the Schick Proline B(injector) or P(AC) blade fairs on your list. It's a close call between them and the GEM SS PTFE blade for me. Prolines are definitely sharper than the Chicks for me.

Ron R

I agree, 1st and 2nd shave on the GEM SS PTFE, are the most efficient for me.

I would love to see how the Schick Proline B(injector) or P(AC) blade fairs on your list. It's a close call between them and the GEM SS PTFE blade for me. Prolines are definitely sharper than the Chicks for me.
That's amazing that the Schick Prolines make a little sharper a blade than the Shicks(chicks), you would know because you have been using SE a lot longer than I. I'm not sure if I want a blade sharper than the GEM SS Coated because you lose in smoothness and that is important to most folks. When I run out of Schick blades I will order some Schick prolines for my Schick E2 razor because folks keep talking how well they are. The B-20's do not have the injector with key but my modified E2 does not need the injector key and blades can be installed manually no problem.
Thanks rabidus

Last edited:
Around 1933 ASR decided to use the Ever-Ready brand exclusively for products made in Great Britain, and the Ever-Ready 1912 was produced in their British plant into the 1940's.

--Bob

I own an Ever-Ready 1912 with "Made in Usa" stamped inside of the base, AKA "The New Improved 1912":
proxy.php

Would it be safe to narrow down the production date between 1930 and 1933?

Ever-Ready was the original brand name used by American Safety Razor (ASR). At the same time ASR released the Gem Micromatic (1930) they re-introduced the 1912 under the Ever-Ready brand as the "Improved Ever-Ready Safety Razor." These are perhaps the most common of the 1912 variants and usually feature the six sided handle variously referred to as the "art deco" or "chain link" handle.

A few Ever-Ready branded 1912's were produced by the Brooklyn plant in the 1920's that were otherwise identical to the Brooklyn Gem 1912's.

Kampfe Bros. Star was also acquired by ASR in the 1919 merger. A few 1912's carrying the Star brand were produced in the 1930's.

Around 1933 ASR decided to use the Ever-Ready brand exclusively for products made in Great Britain, and the Ever-Ready 1912 was produced in their British plant into the 1940's.

--Bob
You sir are the font of Knowledge on these razors, looking in to getting one to try it out this single edge journey, thanks for your enlightening knowledge it is much appreciated.

Top Bottom