What's new

The things we do in a pinch

Traveling this weekend, so I left the straights at home and decided to "make do" with my Parker 26C Open Comb. Well, the final leg of my flight got cancelled, and I find myself stuck in Seattle with no drug store close by to buy blades. So ... I'm about to shave with a Gillette Sensor 2 disposable. :001_unsur

At least I have my Valobra stick, my WCS synthetic brush, and alum to ease the humiliation.

IMG_20190215_171056.jpg

Oh my! That was horrible. Looks fine, but not even SAS to the touch no matter what I tried. Did I really use to use these things on a regular basis? What was I thinking?

At least the Valobra smells great!

NOT looking forward to tomorrow morning ...

I keep a small carry-on Dopp kit stocked with a Track II with a usable cartridge for commercial flights. Not flying commercial, it’s also got my Feather SS, maybe a real straight or two. That dopp stays with me flying/driving/whatever, and gets used on weekend trips, etc. long trips, the big dopp goes in checked baggage with a couple straights to a 7 day roll.

I learned long ago that if I have to be clean shaven daily, I have to have the means to do it regardless of the circumstance. So I just keep it available and with me when I travel, for and at my discression these days. I also keep a really small kit with a travel toothbrush and paste, wet wipes, 1/4 stick of Speick in a ziplock, small brush, and a 4 piece German travel DE (not as good of a shave as the Trac II) in my glovebox for surprise overnights. The Boys Scouts were right about a few things.

Trac IIs give me a pretty easy BBS these days and can be picked up for about $5, with carts currently at $39/100.

While I wasn't prepared, I was able to manage. And I gotta say, this morning's shave with the disposable was better than last night's. 9 hours later and still SAS. It's not something I'd like to plan on repeating, but good to know it's survivable.

While I wasn't prepared, I was able to manage. And I gotta say, this morning's shave with the disposable was better than last night's. 9 hours later and still SAS. It's not something I'd like to plan on repeating, but good to know it's survivable.
SAS, :) wouldn't running around with 3 days growth currently be a SAS :001_huh:

I keep a small carry-on Dopp kit stocked with a Track II with a usable cartridge for commercial flights. Not flying commercial, it’s also got my Feather SS, maybe a real straight or two. That dopp stays with me flying/driving/whatever, and gets used on weekend trips, etc. long trips, the big dopp goes in checked baggage with a couple straights to a 7 day roll.

I learned long ago that if I have to be clean shaven daily, I have to have the means to do it regardless of the circumstance. So I just keep it available and with me when I travel, for and at my discression these days. I also keep a really small kit with a travel toothbrush and paste, wet wipes, 1/4 stick of Speick in a ziplock, small brush, and a 4 piece German travel DE (not as good of a shave as the Trac II) in my glovebox for surprise overnights. The Boys Scouts were right about a few things.

Trac IIs give me a pretty easy BBS these days and can be picked up for about $5, with carts currently at $39/100.

The level of organisation here is great. :001_cool:

Luke

I've got blades stashed in houses allover Europe, but still come up short sometimes. I have heard of chaps sock smuggling blades for carry on only flights , stag weekends and such, which is a bridge too far for me.

Next time bring your hones and sharpen up the hotel’s steak knife. :001_rolle

Believe it or not, I do that. On vacations I generally go to rental apartments, and my experience is that in all of them the knives are very dull. So I've made the habit of packing a 360 grit diamond plate and a small 2000 grit stone. They weigh next to nothing, and allow me to avoid a lot of frustration.

The level of organisation here is great. :001_cool:

Luke
I travel/fly every week as well and always have my Tony Miller strop, 2 or 3 straights, my "One Blade" for those "way to early morning for straight" , badger brush and a favorite soap/aftershave.....i will at times have a conti with me and maybe a few razors to touch up.....if your gone 260 days or so a year you learn to bring things with you that you enjoy because home is a hotel room.

Believe it or not, I do that. On vacations I generally go to rental apartments, and my experience is that in all of them the knives are very dull. So I've made the habit of packing a 360 grit diamond plate and a small 2000 grit stone. They weigh next to nothing, and allow me to avoid a lot of frustration.
Thought I was the only one that thought a dull kitchen knife can spoil your cooking fun on a self-catering holiday! I always pack a small, razor-sharp, Global kitchen knife for which I have made a leather sheath for such occasions.
Here is a tip for emergencies: You can get most knives fairly sharp on the back of a ceramic cup.

Thought I was the only one that thought a dull kitchen knife can spoil your cooking fun on a self-catering holiday! I always pack a small, razor-sharp, Global kitchen knife for which I have made a leather sheath for such occasions.
Here is a tip for emergencies: You can get most knives fairly sharp on the back of a ceramic cup.
Or the edge of a granite counter top. Or the spine of another (preferably bigger) knife.
But none works better than a real hone. I prefer to bring hones and deal with the local knives rather than bring my own knife. Less trouble with the TSA.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Now that I’m retired, my travel is infrequent but I carry an old strop and .1u Diamond pasted balsa strop.

I had a long weekend in Vienna last weekend on hand luggage and as I had no time to post a straight razor on ahead I just didn't shave.

Top Bottom